Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Toyota Tacoma 2wd vs 4wd
arbee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 06:43 AM

Yeah, all it takes is one time and you'll be wishing that you had bought the 4x4. Being ok 99% of the time still means that you have a 1% chance to get stuck. In 2wd you have to go faster in sand than you would in 4wd.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by arbee
Yeah, all it takes is one time and you'll be wishing that you had bought the 4x4. Being ok 99% of the time still means that you have a 1% chance to get stuck. In 2wd you have to go faster in sand than you would in 4wd.

Using 2WD on dirt roads where traction is needed also damages the road from spinning of tires grasping for traction... That someone has 4WD but doesn't use it shows ignorance and foolishness of being able to preserve the land but instead not using it and thus adding damage to the land and his vehicle.

4WD allows one to go at safe speeds or slow speeds over difficult terrain.

[Edited on 6-11-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 06:57 AM

With the Tacoma you are not really paying much more in a used vehicle for the 4WD and the maintence is really not much different than the 2WD, so in the event that you never even use the 4WD you are going to be much happier to have the extra ability. I needed the 4WD this morning on our boat ramp because there was sargasso all over the ramp. Pulled the lever and climbed right up it which was a lot faster than having to clean up and rake all the sargasso.;)

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 03:30 PM

Would have never made it here with a 2WD:

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 04:15 PM

Without a doubt, my 4X4 provides the ability to control my vehicle at slower speeds going either up or down steep inclines. There is nothing like that secure feeling that comes with being able to get out of what you may have just got into, just my 2 cents worth. JH
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 04:24 PM

I've always been a 4x4 advocate in Baja and have gone many places that I couldn't have gone without it but I was hoping that everyone would say that those Tacomas are so great that you don't need 4WD.

The situation is that I have found several that fit my criteria in 2WD and none in 4WD. I have been looking on Craigslist etc (San Diego area) but no joy. I don't want a new vehicle, we won't be using it much but when we do we will be going extreme (maybe). I plan on replacing it with our FJ Cruiser in a few years.

If anybody knows of one around 2002, 4WD, 4dr, TRD in the $10,000 mas o meno range let me know.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
we won't be using it much but when we do we will be going extreme (maybe).....dt

That ends the discussion, you will need a 4 by 4!

Tough budget for what you want, good luck!

Ken

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 08:29 PM

Hey can somebody do a poll tosee what nomads drive?, Or is one already post it. I know for a fact that a hand full of nomads drive dodge trucks,me Sharks, papyjon, ect ect

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
The situation is that I have found several that fit my criteria in 2WD and none in 4WD. I have been looking on Craigslist etc (San Diego area) but no joy.

It takes time and a lot of patience. Try Autotrader. I found mine through it from a Nissan dealership that had someone trading it (Toyota Tacoma) in for a new Nissan. $17,000 for a TRD Tacoma with 12,000 miles on it. It was practically new, but sold for $10,000 less than a new Tacoma. Oh yes, and apparently it had been sitting on that lot for months without any buyer interest.

They're out there.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Have you ever wondered why Toyota truck owners on Nomad outnumber Nissan by a ration of 10:1 (it would seem)?

Bob, you know how happy we Tacoma drivers are (myself, Neal Johns, John M, Bajaboy, 4baja, etc., etc.), why go to Nissan? What is it that sways you? 4 wheel disc brakes? Just wondering...

[Edited on 6-10-2009 by David K]

I began to notice a lot more Nissans over the last couple of years than ever before. I started looking closely at them and I like what I see! I'm looking at the Nissan SE Crew V-6. Nissan's V-6 comes with 261 HP w/281 LB-Ft torque -vs- Toyota's 236 HP w/266 LB-Ft torque. I like the Frontier's Utili-track channel system in the cargo bed with very versitile tie down options. Nissan has a non-skid spray-on bedliner (from the factory). I like what they offer in their "value truck package" also. I've talked to several Frontier owners and they are very happy with their choice. I just like it better.

Bob H

That's all fine... but most important in Baja is RELIABILITY... If it fails you, the type of cargo bed doesn't really help. You do know the Toyota cargo bed is (since 2005) a composite (not sprayed on) that is tougher than steel and lighter and wont't rust if scratched? It has a sliding tie down hook system... Haven't you seen my truck? I also get everything I need into it, camping or irrigation work.

I do think your mind is set on Nissan, as you have mentioned Nissan to me many times over the years, and no matter my or others opinion or history with Toyota, you keep wanting a Nissan... Have you checked out the new Suzuki Truck, by the way?

The only Nomad I know with a Nissan Frontier is Whistler and he picked Nissan because the truck was for CORE short course off road racing and Nissan was the biggest sponsor... I don't know if he has used it much in Baja for daily trips, etc.

Don't worry David... I take my time and I will also be looking at Toyota. Gotta check it all out when an old Ford man decidces to make a switch, huh?
Bob H
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 07:26 AM

10-4... Before getting my first Tacoma, I did consider a Ranger... But that was a short day!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 08:39 AM
Tacos -- popular in MX

I like Tacos -- then sat in one a few years ago and interior was too small. No leg room -- made for small people?

Instead, got a '06 Ford F350 Super Duty Turbo Diesel SRW Crew Laramie model. 50k miles. Get's 19 mpg highway 14 town. 4 Firestone Ride Rite airbags and Rancho 9000 adjustibles. Stock otherwise and will get the Banks Power Pack when the Service Agreement expires. No problems so far. Comfortable, roomy, serious truck. Probably get a Chevy diesel next time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I like Tacos -- then sat in one a few years ago and interior was too small. No leg room -- made for small people?

Instead, got a '06 Ford F350 Super Duty Turbo Diesel SRW Crew Laramie model. 50k miles. Get's 19 mpg highway 14 town. 4 Firestone Ride Rite airbags and Rancho 9000 adjustibles. Stock otherwise and will get the Banks Power Pack when the Service Agreement expires. No problems so far. Comfortable, roomy, serious truck. Probably get a Chevy diesel next time.

How long ago or what year model???

My 2001 Tacoma Extra cab was comfortable with good leg room... The 2005 Tacoma got bigger with even more room overall... about the size of the older Tundra... lots of leg room.... I got the 4 door in '05 and the back seat is now as comfortable as most sedan back seats... The 4 door Tacoma previous to '05 was probably a bit tight for adults in the back seat.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
How long ago or what year model???

Let's see. Got my '06 Ford in '07. So, the Taco much have been a '04 or '05? Think it was a V6. It just felt small inside with my left leg hitting the door and right leg hitting the other side area. Toys definitely have the reputation for quality. I wanted more power and room. A Pescadero friend has a Taco I ride in frequently as a passenger -- it feels cramped and the ride is stiff/uncomfortable. Not sure what year it is. Had a SR5 back in the 80s -- same stiffness, etc. (Got a Toy Highlander -- love it!)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 03:44 PM

There's a HUGE difference between the '04 and '05... The 2005 and later Tacomas are a totally different truck, bigger inside and out... While I was comfortable in the '01, the '05 is even more roomy and cushy to drive... So cushy in fact, I needed to add air bag springs to the rear to stop the bottoming out.

The 3.4 liter V-6 was increased to 4.0 liters in '05... Both have ample power... more than I ever needed for all the stuff I do in Baja and here.

Naturally a full size truck has a lot more room (new Tundra, Titan, Ford, Dodge, Chevy) and more power for towing or bigger loads.

Nice that we in America (still) have options as to what we want to drive... as we all have various needs and desires!

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 04:56 PM

I'll bet the guy who owned the truck in my avitar wished he had 4 weel drive.
I own a 2003 Tacoma extracab 4x4 !50,000+ miles. I have found myself in a lot of situations where I could not have gotten out, without it.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 06:00 PM

Quote:

don't know if the Toyota is any better.

:yes:;D:rolleyes:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Would have never made it here with a 2WD:

is that a tundra? what kinda popup are you sporting??? i better not let my wife see that...

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 07:23 PM

2004 toyota tacoma TRD package with a Four Wheel Poptop camper.

It's not for everybody, Woody. I don't think your wife would like losing the creature comforts of a big truck. You need to make compromises. I used to buy all my water and groceries for a month in the states and drive around baja slowly using it up. Now the storage only allows for about a week of drinking water.

But there are so many pros. I no longer have a special vehicle for baja. I commute to work every day in the same vehicle I take to baja. The poptop let's me park in public garages with 7 foot clearance. I've never gotten stuck anywhere - not even at your favorite spotfin hole. :P The tire print is so large compared to the weight of the vehicle that it moves over sand like one of those lunar vehicles.

The beach in the picture at high tide is all pumice rocks. The front tires (and most of the back) are sitting on these small rocks. When I stepped out of the vehicle my feet sank up to my ankles in that stuff. And a cold sweat appeared on my forehead as I thought to myself "Now you've done it". Two nights of camping and I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to know. So I fired her up and put her in reverse and she rolled out of there like nothing. So I rolled her back in and enjoyed the rest of my stay in peace.

That pumice is great stuff. It conforms to your body like a bean bag. And for some reason it stays warm into the night. And it's cleaner than sand. Just layed around the fire throwing driftwood in, trying to come up with a scary story or two.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 07:28 PM

we just bought a 2003 toondra 4x4. what type popup are you using?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.