Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Upcomming Congressional Elections
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 6-27-2009 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
As I said a few weeks ago, it is still my opinion that if Calderon cannot beat the drug cartels within the next three years, the next president of Mexico is going to be a drug dealer.

Legalizing drugs in the US will not change one thing in Mexico. The drug cartels have many different business lines. Drug dealing is just one of them. They would still have the extorsion business, kidnapping business, Mexican street drug business, car theft business, coyote business, etc. Besides, even if drugs were legalized in the US, the taxes on them would be so high, that illegal drugs would still be cheaper.

I would normally react to this post and oppose it. I have long thought that legalization of most drugs in The United States and taxing it would take the middle man (cartels) out of it and thereby end the violence. We could certainly use the tax revenue.

I would certainly not be opposed to this for knee-jerk reactionary, political or moralistic beliefs. But Arrowhead makes a good rational case for not legalizing and taxing. I need to do some more thinking on this. One hates to be shown to be wrong. I am not totally convinced, but as I said, Arrowhead makes some good points here.:wow:

If Arrowhead's scenario is the way the elections will play out, that is a damned shame. Sometimes a reality check is necessary. It is what it is. Not good!:(

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.