Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A good day out...
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 08:15 PM

Mick's right. That part of the Sea of Cortez has some magic going for it.

Each time I've been there diving with Mick and his clients/students or if we manage to get out just the family, we've had some adventures like nowhere else. That colony of sealion are very special-- extra curious and friendly each time we've visited.
Bajamick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey mick...although we sang God Save Our Gracious Queen every day at school...maybe we canucks have a different lingo...we say a sh*tload of sealions!!! So probably skipjack is correct...he's that kind of guy...so I like the sea lion club idea....we always snorkel with juveniles here and they LOVE to play chicken. Nice to see you posting amigo

Shari, God save the Queen?? You must have been singing about that incredible rock band, Queen, with the equally incredible Freddie Mercury as their lead singer. One of the worlds top rock bands in their day before Freddie died. Look them up if you like Rock 'n Roll, or at the least, rock!!
Sorry you had to suffer such deprivations as singing the national anthem to some woman or family that should not rule over us Brits. Britian should be a republic for sure. Still, that takes us away from the theme of this thing, and thats playing with sealions.

Yes, sealion "club" sounds good to me, but then again, I am not championing anyone in particular as I see I have many answers. I know the fishermen in the NE of England call them a "pain in the arse" and shoot them, then blame divers for scaring them away when tourists come to see these stunning animals. Life never was fair!!

I remember going out with Juan and snorkeling with them when Maria and I were over a few years ago with a certain Gypsy Lady and her man. The two Pacific dives were good, but the sealions were kind of special.

Thanks for your words, I am new at this, have little time, but am enjoyinmg the contact so to speak. I called your house about half a doxzen times last week, but no reply. I will try again on Wednesday probably as tomorrow I am off to Loreto for the day. M

The Ocean is my playground,
And the marine creatures, my playmates!!

Honi soit qui mal y pense!!

Who Cares Who Wins??

www.cortez-explorers.com
Bajamick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Mick's right. That part of the Sea of Cortez has some magic going for it.

Each time I've been there diving with Mick and his clients/students or if we manage to get out just the family, we've had some adventures like nowhere else. That colony of sealion are very special-- extra curious and friendly each time we've visited.

Yes, we have had some good times out there M, that's for sure. Those sealions are great, and you'll have to dive with me again to see them when you return.

Who Cares Who Wins??

www.cortez-explorers.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey mick...although we sang God Save Our Gracious Queen every day at school...

In Australia the custom was to project a smiling queen on the silver screen at all movie theaters in the evening before the shows started. All movie goers were expected to rise and remain standing while God Save the Queen was being played. Fortunately, none of us were required to sing it as well.
Bajamick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 01:02 PM
A copy of my orginal post in Gen Discussions

Great day out...

Well after having no contact with Squid these last days, I was getting bored, so I went out diving with three friends yesterday, Sunday. We launched from San Bruno, and took the first dive at Titch's Seamount (named in honour (English spelling) of my youngest daughter) after she dived there last year, while on her school vacation.

Viz was about 25ft to 30ft (7.5m to 9m), surface temps at 79f and no colder at 100ft/30m, and as the reef fell away into the depths, so did the fish life. There was just so much to see and the fish were falling it seemed, into oblivion out into the depths to charge back up the walls and drop once again. This seamount certainly has the potential for big pelagics, and needs exploring to greater depths. A beautiful dive, yet better was to come. This was Beth's Deep Dive on her PADI Advanced Course.

Dive two was near the north light where the resident Sealion population hang out. As we approached, the colony slowly became active, and began dropping into the water in anticipation of playing games with us.
I rolled in and was immediately surrounded by some 30 plus animals, mostly mothers and pups. I was alone with them while the other three continued to kit up, and we played hide and seek and the usual game of tag. The other three divers joined me, and we swam towards the rocks to the WNW at a depth of some 50ft/15m. Viz was better here at about 50ft/15m also. Danya was simply rocking 'n rolling with them, and I hovered back to watch the fun. We were totally immersed in a pride of sealions. What does one call a group of sealions??
I will be heading back in a few days, weather permitting, this time with my underwater camera in tow. Oh to own a UW video outfit!!
Beth did brilliant as she managed to ignore somehow these flashes and up close and personal interactions while searching for the items I had hidden for her to find. She was concentrating so much on her compass navigational U pattern that she failed to note a playful pup riding shotgun and playing in her bubbles.

The final dive was quite bland and boring in many ways, marine life wise. We were on a sandy area and Beth was completing her final dive on her AOW. This was Peak Performance Buoyancy, and although almost no marine life as such, we had fun swimming through hoops, playing with buoyancy and generally getting that "feeling" for good buoyancy control.

Congratulations are in order for Beth successfully completing her PADI Advanced Open Water Course. Ed for finishing successfully his PADI Rescue Course, and to Danya for her first dives in the fabulous Sea of Cortez, and interacting so ballerina like with her new found friends. Definitely a great day out, with the promise of more to come!!

Who Cares Who Wins??

www.cortez-explorers.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 01:31 PM

Hey Mick......FYI.. most everybody here lives on TODAYS POSTS. Look up to the the top of the page and click on that.
Now you can see all posts in all forums as they are posted. This will save you the trouble of duplicating your posts and nobody will miss it.

Just trying to be helpful..:saint:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 03:33 PM

Dennis has a good tip that I am surprised so many don't know. For me it is always just three automatic clicks. BajaNomad...Forums...Today's Posts. Works well for me.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Dennis has a good tip that I am surprised so many don't know. For me it is always just three automatic clicks. BajaNomad...Forums...Today's Posts. Works well for me.

Even quicker, since we're all running short of time.....open TODAY"S POSTS and put that in your favorites and you're there with the first click.
It all works.
Bajamick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 08:53 PM

Cheers and thanks Dennis and Vgabndo for the tip. I'll remember that in future. Have a good weekend, what's left of it...

Who Cares Who Wins??

www.cortez-explorers.com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.