Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Last Sunday at La Fonda in La Mision, Ensenada
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 06:21 AM
Terry

I'm with you on Baja Mama's. We had the brunch there 2 years ago when we stayed with Mike & Mary ( the lobbyist from Carson City ) in the house they rented in Punta Banda. I know that some locals don't care for it but some such as Big Mike of the PB Yacht Club and we loved it.
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 12:39 PM

Last September we had brunch there and I can't say I was impressed with the food. My friend from Playas de Tijuana swore up and down it was great. The best part of the meal was the surf session before hand at K58.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Big Mike of the PB Yacht Club .

Mike has never seen a plate of food he didn't like. :lol::lol:
Just kiddin' Big Guy.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Gypsy Jan,

I've never been to La Fonda, my neighbor in Punta Banda swore by the Sunday brunch there. I thought he was crazy for making the drive there and back for a meal.

Thanks for your report. Maybe someday we'll give it a shot.

By the way, I love your signature line. Sr. Hemingway knew how to tell it, didn't he?

P<*)))>{

You better NOT think about going there without calling us! The first Sangre de Maria is on us! :dudette: :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 01:08 PM
Meeeyoww!

Sr. Crazy Cat, your cunning claws are showing.

Paulina, the bloody mary's are included in the price of the brunch, which I believe is $13.95 U.S. per person.

[Edited on 11-11-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles
Gypsy Jan:
We used enjoy La Fonda years ago before they moved locations. I think a gentleman named Dimeitre ran it. Do you know any of the history as to when or why, it moved or did it change hands? The few times we have been back it has just been so so food, but you can't be the view and location. They used to prepare a suckling pig that was outstanding.

It moved because the waiters union black-flagged the place and the head of the Union told the owner during negotiations that “you will meet all our demands because you need us more then we need you”. Mr. D called his bluff and turned his own house in to Nuevo La Fonda. The first day he was open my dad and I had a nice Mexican omelet prepared to order by Mr. D himself. It was sad what happened to a lot of the old waiters, some of them had been there 25-30 years and overnight they were out of a job. A lot of the “runners” became waiters at the new place because they were non union.

I was sorry to see the “old” La Fonda close as I had spent many a fine day and night at the place enjoying the scenery and the dance floor and all the interesting folks one would meet in the bar. Happy hour was all day long. My wife and I had our first date at the old place on September 16th. While the food could/can be uneven the ambiance was/is nearly unrivaled. IMEO.:smug:

MAGA

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
About four years ago, but the handwriting on the menu chalkboards looks suspiciously familiar.

It has actually been 5 years since Mr. D sold, but he did hang around for awhile. The very first night under new ownership was November 5th 2004. We had 50 guests at La Fonda for a surprise 80th birthday party for my father and he was VERY surprised. Good times! :yes:

MAGA

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

Paulina, the bloody mary's are included in the price of the brunch, which I believe is $13.95 U.S. per person.

My plan is foiled.:no::dudette::saint::lol:

MAGA

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:38 PM

Would someone describe the prior location? I know I had to have been there, but I can't remember where it was.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Would someone describe the prior location? I know I had to have been there, but I can't remember where it was.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

It was south of and attached to the hotel. Now it is north and next to same.

MAGA

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:

My plan is foiled.:no::dudette::saint::lol:

Never! No foiling allowed in this family! If when and ever we get the wild hair you and Barb will be the first ones to know about it.

xoxo,
p<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 10:36 AM
Rumor...

Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles
Gypsy Jan:
We used enjoy La Fonda years ago before they moved locations. I think a gentleman named Dimeitre ran it. Do you know any of the history as to when or why, it moved or did it change hands? The few times we have been back it has just been so so food, but you can't be the view and location. They used to prepare a suckling pig that was outstanding.

has it that Dmytri will soon take the place back. I've heard that this includes the hotel but not the restaurant...but I expect all to follow. The new owners aren't performing.

Given his age, he's not pleased about it.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Given his age, he's not pleased about it.

Saying most respectfully, the man is a dinosaur. Next we'll hear that he's going to open a dental practice in the building.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Pancakes, clams, oysters, omlettes, desserts, ocean view
Do not forget the biscuits and gravey and you'd better get to them right away as she sometimes runs out of buscits!:(
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 12:00 PM

I remember the old location... I think the new location is much nicer. They basically opened up their house to make way for the expansion into the new location to the north. Are the chickens still there walking around while you eat?
Fantastic experience there on Sunday's.
Bob H
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 12:50 PM

Yes, the chickens are there, at least when my kids aren't there chasing them around.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Thanks in advance.

Ken

It was south of and attached to the hotel. Now it is north and next to same.

Elgatoloco,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ken
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Hey Jan.....you will have to do a Sunday brunch at Baja Mamas in Punta Banda then do a comparison review article.

Terry, you are NUTS. They can't PAY me to go there. They are supposed to open at 10:00 for brunch...they might be ready by 10:30 for your 10:00 reservation if you're lucky. It takes 45 minutes to get your far too overcooked omelet, the place stinks like cigarette smoke and there are dogs running all over the place (the latter is true at my house, too...but it's our home). They add stuff on to your bill that you didn't order. Far too much salt added to the food. All the desserts come from Costco. And the service is pathetic at best. The setting is fabulous....and that's the only positive thing I can say.

But, Jan! Please do go and compare!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 12:11 AM
Dearest bajabound

Bunta Banda is, what can I say, geographically undesirable for a casual Sunday Brunch destination from where we start.

Lo siento, mucho.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
postholedigger
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 11:37 PM

Sunday brunch buffet is good. Been there a few times. Though I've heard that it's half price on weekdays. Never been there anytime besides the weekend. Work and all...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.