BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Trading the 2005 for a 2010 Tacoma! (Photos added)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 05:06 PM

Oh, the irony of a global economy. The Tundra is built in both Indiana and Texas. The Sierra/ Silverado is built in Canada, Mexico and the US. The Ford is built in the US. It kinda boils down to whether you want US jobs at the expense of profits going overseas, or foreign jobs with the profits staying here.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 06:14 PM

My new Tacoma is assembled in TIJUANA, BAJA CALIFORNIA! It will be like going home when we take it south!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 06:22 PM

In defense of the new FJ's..... I have two friends that own them and really love them. They drive them fast alot on dirt logging roads here on the Olympic Penn., and do not take that good care of their equipment, and they seem to be holding up fine. One friend tows a small house trailer with his and claims it so much better on the hi-way than any of the older models that it makes him quite happy. Just a little pricey. ++C++
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 06:28 PM

oh oh... you purchased knowing the jobs were foreign and the profits were foreign as well????? What happened to all your right wing rhetoric we hear periodically.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 08:06 PM

gUYS I need help trying to convince my wife that I need a new truck (POWER WAGON THAT IT'S),MY 04 is almost paid off.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 09:13 PM

I like my FJ....don't love it, just like it....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 09:30 PM

We got our new 4Door Tacoma in May and put it through its paces in our July/August trip---really a pleasure to drive, good all around performance, just bent the trailer plug driving around north of San Roque (that darned road into Bahia San Pablo---the old road had washed out so lots of ledges to cross over....). We replaced the dealer tires with Goodrich ATs and didn't have any problems in that department either...

...can't wait to get down there again! See you there sometime DK--congrats on the truck!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 09:45 PM

New truck and NO Photos???

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 06:47 AM

Guess I've just been lucky with cars, be they foreign or domestic.. use to buy only domestic until I started working for folks that give me a car as part of the job.

And in every case they were American.. Doge pickup 189,000 miles, never missed a lick.. Doge pickup 245,000 not a miss.. Peugeot Diesel 389,000, totaled it in a head on, but bought back as I had just put a new engine in it (got 34 HWY and I used it to cut wood with a trailer, driving on fire roads too).. Cad 60 Special 324,000 and right now a Ford Crown Vic, which the Agency in San Diego begged me to please get off their lot (was a trade in on a MB).

Remember waiting in the lounge for them to bring it around, all the others were talking about their S car or what else.. then some one asked me what kind of MB I was getting serviced.... I told them I drove a Ford.. you could see the people moving away from me... it was like I was a really an "untouchable" ... reminds me of India.. what a cast system we have going..

Keep hearing what crap cars America makes.. guess I have just been lucky... the Ford gets 27 on the Highway at 70-80 with the air on and the trunk full.. the Cad got 26 HWY, Drove a Ford Explorer too, just remembered, put 187,000 on that one, not a one problem. Take that back, a pin in the trans shared off and when I went out to get into it for the morning drive.. it was out in the middle of the street... had just left in park in the drive way.. with out the emergency brake on... Ford fixed with no charge.. it got 23 HWY. The Doges were 18-19 HWY all day long.

The only car that was really a big pain in the butt... An MGA Twin overhead cam that they made for a few years.. it was just a bad engine design, you could adjust the valves daily (with shims) and it would still get out of time and the SU down draft carbs were also impossible to keep turned in...

Never thought of it till right now, guess I have been "lucky" with cars.. I heard such horror stories..

But, then the car my Dad had was a 1937 Chevy, and a 1939 Plymouth and he had one each in the backyard for parts.. yeah, we just loved it while growing up, to invite friends over to OUR house.. My old man always said "if they don't like the view, look the other way", the Chevy ran for ever, the Plymouth.. had terrible vapor lock problems..can remember having to pulling off and set in the desert when going up or coming back from fishing in the Sierras way back in the late 40's and during the 50's when very young.. finally replaced with a Pontiac Station wagon.. in the 1958.. it was used of course, he never bought ANYTHING new..

And congratulations on the new truck, they are nice looking and very handy for a family man, with lots of traveling to do...

Well just close with this.. THEY ARE JUST CARS... I don't have any love affair with them at all.. they are just tools and we know how arguments about tools gets.. ............. and that's the way it is.. Tue Dec 8 2009 Good day...:):)

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by wessongroup]

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 07:48 AM

Glad to hear folks are buying new vehicles. Keep buying nomads, the American economy and the owners of publically held companies will benefit.

Try to buy American when you can though (or vehicles assembled in Mex). That has the biggest impact on my wallet.

Buy, buy, buy.

Please and thank you.
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 08:01 AM

Congratulations DK!

Our (new to us) 2008 Toyota 4runner SR5 4X4 with the 4.0 V6 automatic which we just bought 4 months ago was made in Japan...

We averaged 24.5 mpg round trip (700 plus miles) Oro Valley to South Rim of Grand Canyon. City mpg has been 19.0....

4runner drives smoother and quieter than our 1998 Avalon which averages 30 mpg on the highway...

Still have the 1999 Jeep CHEROKEE 4X4 which has been a real money pit (the electrical --windows and doors and locks)...

The Jeep rides hard on all roads but I like it still. Jeep gets 20 plus mpg on the highway with the 4.0 in line 6 after 217000 miles....

Steve in Oro Valley
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
oh oh... you purchased knowing the jobs were foreign and the profits were foreign as well????? What happened to all your right wing rhetoric we hear periodically.

Is this as nice as you can be? Seriously, no rhetoric... just facts for balance.

There are tons of American jobs created by us who purchase non- U.S. brand vehicles... which have many parts if not whole cars made in other companies (Jeeps not only come from Toledo but also are made in Canada, are they not?)

I have owned a Jeep and a Plymouth... as well as Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda, VW and Toyota... with no close rivals, the two poorest made/ low quality cars were the Jeep and the Plymouth!

I really would love to have American companies build the vehicles I want to buy with the quality they should have. It is GOOD to read the success other Nomads are having with their Dodges and Fords, etc.

My (conservative) dad taught me that buying the best product at the best price WAS the American thing to do. He owned Chevy's, Fords and Jeeps... Had issues with his '70 Jeep Wagoneer and '72 Chevy 'Burb. The '73 Ford wagon was great as was the '65 Jeep Wagoneer.

If not for free enterprise competition, there is no incentive to produce a better product at a better price.

So, I have given the American car companies two chances and both times (1975 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager) were terrible. *The Jeep was a joy when it wasn't in the shop, I must say... and I am still very fond of Jeeps and would consider them again some day, when I can afford to keep them running. We considered the Commander recently.

Live long and prosper... :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
New truck and NO Photos???

It was pouring rain all day, yesterday! Maybe today, I will take some and post?

It really looks just like my '05... only with no stickers ("steekers") on the back or light bar on the front (yet)!

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 08:42 AM

Congrats David,

We just did our part for the global economy and bought a new Scion (Toyota) for my wife to replace her 8 year old Rav4 with 56,000 on the odo. She'd been bugging me for a year and I finally relented. :saint:

Great little car, but it will not be going anywhere near Baja.....:biggrin:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
whaaaat??!!
you didn't buy an American Chevy Sierra from O'Bama??:!::light:

hey - my Ford Explorer gets 20 mpg all day long city HW combined.

Remarkably, our 2000 Explorer w/4.0 SOHC engine gets that as well. Just did a round trip to Phoenix from Pismo Beach and got 21mpg over all cruising at 70-75. At 202,000 miles there have been no engine repairs and it runs perfectly. Just did some front suspension work but that has been all. Never so much as an alternator, starter, or water pump in all those miles, can't imagine a more dependable vehicle.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 04:10 PM
PHOTOS 12-8-09

The rain stopped today, even a bit of sunshine... Here is my new baby:

The 110 volt outlet is nice!

and the sun came out from behind the cloud:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 04:43 PM

The Tacoma has an AC outlet near the tailgate. It's rated at 100 watts /400 watts with a button next to the steering column. For last years Christmas Parade we used the truck to pull the float. It was lit up with Christmas lights, a DVD player and a TV set. All worked OK in the garage when setup. During the parade we found out that when it is set for 400 watts the truck changes to 100 watts when it is put into gear. As you can guess we had no lights or TV playing during the parade. This year we rented a generator, no problem.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 04:56 PM

Great looking Mexican ride.:yes:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 05:28 PM

Nice truck. BUT....I see there is still a switch on the dash for the t-case.....:(
At least the FJ still has a manual option.

I would consider buying a new Taco if they went back to a manual t-case, but as it is now, it's not an upgrade from my current 1996 Taco, whose 14th b-day is just around the corner in January!...Especially at the current price of $25-30,000+. Ouch!

There are after-market options to have a manual t-case put in, but the one I saw was over $2,500, labor not included....Someday, after I win the lottery maybe ;D

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 05:39 PM

Everything is electronic shifting... I had my '05 for 102,000 miles and it NEVER had a problem going into 4Hi or 4Lo with that dial... clunks right in. The locking rear differential is the same... This '10 model now also has Automatic Limited Slip differential that can be dis-engaged if you need the tires to spin to get unstuck, through rocking the truck... a nice touch!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.