Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Baja Mining Confirms Robust Economics at Boleo
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 07:54 AM

Like I said, I would welcome the horse... and your point is not lost on me.. would only say.. "wants" as compared to "needs".. :):) In another post I related what I have seen done over the past 40+ years in the name of "progress".. well, take a look at the condition of our Planet.. just saw where Mars is the next big "goal".. you guessed it, more.. and more and more.. has this been fully evaluated as to the long term impacts on the Planet Earth.. I think not, rather a stop gap measure to insure we don't freak out over the possability of not having more and/or enough

Perhaps that is good, I'm not sure at this point in my life... just looking at Haiti, FAA won't has to put a hold on all traffic.. your in approach and holding for at least 30 minutes, and there is no fuel on the ground.. does carrying capacity ring a bell...

:):)

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 08:04 AM
LET'S ALL TAKE A BREATH AND GIVE OUR PLANET EARTH A HUG!

[Edited on 1-16-2010 by ELINVESTIG8R]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 08:05 AM
Interesting or not info

From a recent article in the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

Nevada mines produced commodities worth a record $6.1 billion in 2008, according to the state Division of Minerals. Gold mining produced $4.97 billion of the state total.

Mining in Nevada provides high-wage jobs to 14,000 Nevadans.

Unemployment in mining counties is 6.5 percent, compared to more than 12 percent statewide. Gold mining largely occurs in Eureka, Elko and other counties in Northern Nevada.

Mines in Nevada produce 80 percent of the gold mined in the entire country. Gold sold today for $1,131 per ounce, near its all-time record. Between 6 million and 7 million ounces of gold are extracted each year from Nevada mines.

While most gold in the United States is mined in Nevada, gold is found in many countries around the world and in states like Alaska and Utah.

In order to produce a lot of gold, the geological endowment and the social-political environment have to be attractive. If they aren’t, mining would go elsewhere.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 09:00 AM

Gold isn't copper.
Nevada isn't Baja California.
Unemployment, wage, working conditions, remediation - all worlds apart from US standards. Do some research on Canadian mining atrocities.

I think this sums it up - speculative at best: "The United States Securities and Exchange Commission permits U.S. mining companies, in their filings with the SEC, to disclose only those mineral deposits that a company can economically and legally extract or produce. We use certain terms in this press release such as "measured," "indicated," and "inferred" "resources", which the SEC guidelines strictly prohibit U.S. registered companies from including in their filings with the SEC. U.S. Investors are urged to consider closely the disclosure . . ."

So if they don't get enough investors to pay for it all, how can it proceed?
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 09:24 AM

Sr. Slim has enough money for el Boleo to start-up.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 09:31 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/07/us-scientists-mountaintop-mining

US scientists demand government ban on mountaintop mining

Mountaintop mining should be banned for causing vast and permanent destruction to US environment and exposing its people to serious health consequences such as birth defects, a new study says today.

An article in the journal Science, by a team of 12 ecologists, hydrologists, and engineers, provides the most comprehensive analysis so far of the damage done by the controversial mining practice.

The process involves shaving off up to 1,000 vertical feet of mountain peak – including ancient forests – to expose thin, but highly prized, seams of coal.

Margaret Palmer, an ecologist at the University of Maryland Centre for Environmental Science, who led the study, said the science left no excuse for the Obama administration not to ban the highly destructive practice.

"Scientists are not usually that comfortable coming out with policy recommendations," she said, "but this time the results were overwhelming."

The article described river and forest systems that have been disrupted well downstream from the original dumping spot of mining debris. It also said there was virtually no chance of restoring mountain, forests or streams once the mining companies have moved on to new seams.

"There is a lot of evidence suggesting that there is significant degradation, and there just isn't the evidence at all that they can reverse this," said Emily Bernhardt, an environmental biologist at Duke University, who was another co-author.

She said there were signs that contamination from the mining debris was spilling into drinking water and wells. The debris is already killing off fish. In heavily mined southern countries, 50- 60% of young fish were deformed because of high concentrations of selenium.

"That was quite an eye-opener," said Dennis Lemly, a biologist at Wake Forest University and one of the authors. He warned the fish population could soon be wiped out. "The deformed young fish – that is really the red flag. You can see right away that you are over a serious threshold."

Selenium concentrations in fish caught in some of West Virginia's rivers were twice as high as in other states that had declared them unfit for human consumption. West Virginia authorities issued a health warning – but not a ban.

"To put it quite bluntly, my jaw dropped because right away I saw concentrations that were far above toxic thresholds," added Lemly.

The authors also logged significant dangers to human health, including lung cancer, and chronic heart lung and kidney disease, as well as birth defects.

Today's report – reinforced by the rare demand from scientists for specific government action – deepens the pressure on the Obama administration from environmentalists and liberal supporters to ban mountaintop mining.

Obama administration officials had promised to toughen the lax environmental regulations of the George Bush era. But grassroots activists in West Virginia accuse the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of continuing to greenlight new projects – albeit with some additional restrictions on the mining companies.

Earlier this week, the EPA outraged activists by giving the go-ahead to two new mines. EPA officials argued that the new conditions imposed on the mining operator, Patriot Coal, would bury only three miles of mountain stream – instead of the six miles of waterways that would have been filled with debris under the company's original plan.

Until today's article, Mountaintop mining consequences, much of the research on the effects of mountaintop removal had been left to government scientists, and there was little understanding in the broader academic community of the sheer scale of destruction.

As many as 500 mountaintops across West Virginia, Virginia and Kentucky have already been replaced by dry flat plateau, and 1,200 mountain streams have been buried beneath dumped rock and dirt. By 2012, the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that more than 2,200 square miles of Appalachian forest will disappear.

At some sites, the mining companies have tried to rebuild the silhouette of the old mountain, or replant. But mostly they leave the mountain missing its crest.

In any event, there is no undoing the damage, and the scientists said the seriousness of the environmental and public health impacts compelled the EPA to ban mining.

"I think it is very clear. It is very compelling, and it would be a disservice to the people who live there to say we just have to study it more," said Michael Hendryx, a community medicine professor at the University of West Virginia. "The monetary costs of the industry in terms of premature mortality and other impacts far outweighs any benefits."
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 11:40 AM

I'd rather see mining developed in a place like Santa Rosalia that has already been impacted than to see one developed in a pristine local. For that matter I would rather see a mine in the hills above SR than another golf course hotel development on the coast. I'm sure that the locals in SR could use the jobs that a mine would bring.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 11:48 AM

Yes... the need is for the resources and jobs.

It is Mexico, we Norteamericanos don't really want to sound like we are telling them what they can do in their country, do we? :light:

There would be no Santa Rosalia if not for the copper and the French... It already is a mine.:light::rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 02:12 PM

This is going to turn S. Rosalia into a boom town...the coast south to Mulege will be effected. by a building boom...This is good.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-16-2010 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

It is Mexico, we Norteamericanos don't really want to sound like we are telling them what they can do in their country, do we? :light:

There would be no Santa Rosalia if not for the copper and the French... It already is a mine.:light::rolleyes:

Believe the thrust of the query was the accuracy of the (Press Release) from an entity and their stated “projections” and “research” conducted by their paid consultant.

The people of Mexico most certainly have "their" right to do anything they wish with their Country.

And I do not recall statements of anyone that the Mexican people should be denied work of any type.

The point raised, was directed towards the "press release" which was posted here on Baja Nomads

Would add I have serious doubt that the Government of Mexico will be making any decisions on this issue based on what was/is posted here.

This was merely a cursory "review" of information posted, and the apparent shortcomings of same.

Mining is and will continue, in Mexico, as one of the largest operators is found in Mexico “Grupo México”. Who is the parent of ASARCO LLC, currently in chapter 11 in the States, and has left a total of 20 superfund sites around the Nation. Which the people of the United States will be cleaning up some day.

Would just hope to see a business approach which includes all factors for the benefit of Mexican People and their Country, both short and long term.

We in the United States have a legacy of mining operations which have left serious environmental and health problems for the people of the United States to deal with.

The sharing of our knowledge and experiences I would hope could be viewed as helpful not negative and/or hurtful to the Mexican people, as that would be the intent.
:):)

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
This is going to turn S. Rosalia into a boom town...the coast south to Mulege will be effected. by a building boom...This is good.

FYI:

Wrong area ...

This project is in the mountains west of Todos Santos and south of La Paz. There is more than one Santa Rosalia, this one being close to El Triempho in Baja California Sur.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNews
The Boleo Cu-Co-Zn-Mn Project is located on the east coast of Baja California Sur, Mexico, near the town of Santa Rosalia.

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
This project is in the mountains west of Todos Santos and south of La Paz. There is more than one Santa Rosalia, this one being close to El Triempho in Baja California Sur.

Ron, your comment may need further clarification or elaboration.

:?:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 10:47 AM

BajaNomad I think you need to bring in that BIGGGG Policeman to interrogate CaboRon! That should do the trick to get him to talk!:lol:

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger

FYI:

Wrong area ...

Ron, It is El Rosario that is close to El Triumfo.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

And David, look at what got left. some call it blight. It is only recently that they have been able to pull themselves part way out of a very depressed state
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 11:31 AM

This headstone marks the grave of Angele Bailly, died April 11, 1897 at the age of nine and a half months “regrettee de son pere et de sa mere.”

Santa Rosalia has always been one of my favorite destinations in Baja. My wife Bonni and I spent many happy weeks hiking and car camping, rockhounding, exploring and communing with the spirits in the many peaceful canyons about the town.

From the Hotel Frances to the Boleo company headquarters to the smelter and harbor, and up into all the canyons where the ores were extracted from hundreds of miles of underground workings Santa Rosalia oozes history. In places it is a virtual museum of industrialism.

There are many old cemeteries with many hundreds of graves scattered around the long abandoned mining camps. I sure hope they will be treated with respect and consideration and not simply bulldozed aside.

SR284a_6_1.jpg - 47kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 11:41 AM

Above Arroyo Soledad

SR090a_3_1.jpg - 49kB

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 11:48 AM

Thanks Graham. I agee
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 12:17 PM

Here are the graves of two sisters married to Espinoza men and their two children all who died during childbirth. The graves are located near Rancho El Metate, San Juan de Dios. Photo taken from North to South.

These two adobe ruins were their homes. Photo taken from West to East.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 11:39 AM

"The Boleo Cu-Co-Zn-Mn Project is located on the east coast of Baja California Sur, Mexico, near the town of Santa Rosalia. The deposit contains seven mineralized seams (mantos), stacked within a single formation, all dipping gently to the east towards the Sea of Cortez in a step-like fashion, due to post depositional faulting.

The Project consists of approximately 11,000 hectares of mineral concessions and 7,000 hectares of surface occupancy rights, each assembled as a contiguous titled block. The Project is located within the "buffer zone" of the El Vizcaino Biosphere, a Mexican National environmental reserve. An Environmental Impact Manifest (EIM) was submitted in early 2006, and approved by the Mexican authorities in December 2006. The Company has also received authorization to commence development of the Project within the Biosphere.

The Project is to be developed as a series of underground mines using conventional soft rock mining methods, coupled with several small open-cut mines feeding ore to a processing plant using a two stage leaching circuit followed by solid/liquid separation and solvent extraction"

So the project is in a biosphere; will use toxic, liquid open leach pits; will slope to the Sea of Cortez (pollution plume); and doesn't speak of remediation of the national environmental preserve after 23 years of operation.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.