Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tiger's Punta Brava golf course still on track
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 01:59 PM

Wilderone.......I agree with what you say, but I'm not so sure it will apply to this special market. I don't think we'll be seeing multi-color pennants flapping on the hillsides to attract customers. Their buyers won't be coaxed from the common pot.
Perhaps you're like me in that I can't comprehend having so much money that a purchase in Punta Brava will be like a day at the mall, but there are people like this who don't have to be hustled. They need a place to put their money and they will at PB....perhaps already have. You and I will never know.
I don't like the idea any more than you do.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 10:09 AM

No - I certainly can't say that I am privvy to the attitude and livestyle of the ultra-rich. But this project requires that, no only one be rich, but also has a passion for golf and be a Tiger groupie, and be willing to own property and want to live in a foreign country. Shrinks the arena of potential bueyrs. Tiger has a golf course in the US; there are already golf resorts in Mexico, there are already multi-million dollar properties in mexico with private beaches. I just don't see it happening in Punta Brava in this economy with the drug wars ongoing. The ultra-rich were Madhoff's clients - they were recruited at parties, by word of mouth, among friends and business partners. Not available to the average Joe. All part of the secret club mentality. This investment is priced at top dollar, and re-sale questionable. These people aren't stupid.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 10:21 AM
Save your money

Hey, save your money, play golf, still live close to Punta Banda, mingle with the locals and have great neighbors.....:

http://bajacountryclub.com/

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
These people aren't stupid.

It's OK to be stupid if you're rich. Look at some of the lottery winners. :lol:
Anyway, I think you and I are seeing a different market here. We'll just have to wait and see.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 09:29 AM

I talked with a friend this AM who is distantly connected with the Punta Brava group. He says the ball is starting to roll, slowly, as balls will do in Mexico. One of the hangups has been permits and it seems progress has been made.
Vague....I know. But, it's something.

Just this bit of news along with other small indicators, like the Art Project in the TJ alley, give a feeling of imminent resurection from the dead.

OK...Everybody [key of G please]

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!
Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!
When I'm stuck a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh
The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 10:15 AM

Must have been written by someone in Seattle.

Woods' status isn't the same now. Even more reasons why this project would not be successful.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 10:26 AM

I'm not a big fan of the project. Never was. It's just promising that something, anything, is starting to happen around here.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 11:47 AM

Can a golf course generate enough jobs etc. to change an area from being depressed to prosperous? How much do they pay groundskeepers, caddies, and all the rest of the "servants"?:D
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Can a golf course generate enough jobs etc. to change an area from being depressed to prosperous? How much do they pay groundskeepers, caddies, and all the rest of the "servants"?:D

I really doubt it. As far as I'm concerned, they can bring in machines to do everything. Then maybe they can develop a machine that will pick strawberries and tomatos. Maybe some of this bickering will stop.

I'm just glad to see any indication that the stagnation will come to an end.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 01:24 PM

Was not Woods merely the celebrity name that was being paid to design the course? Or maybe even just use his name as designer? I'm thinking that whatever his recent personal problems, affluent golfers won't care. And worst case scenario, the developer could change course designer.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 02:06 PM

Did Tiger Woods neck problems derive from pounding the "head board"?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 07:12 AM

We heard that the project is officially dead.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 07:49 AM

bb2005: i hope you are right.
when will they take the fencing down?

sbwontoo
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
they could make a couple of 18 hole courses out of the road from Maneadero to La Bufadora and Punta Brava right now. The pot holes could be made into water traps and sand traps. It's UNBELIEVABLY bad.

They are replacing those with modern Mexican speed bumps:

:lol::lol::lol: sorry the images didn't post. Try the links instead:
IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/durrellrobert/pothole.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/durrellrobert/pothole2.jpg[/IMG]

[Edited on 5-18-2010 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 10:12 AM

It had a shaky business plan to begin with...........when the economy was booming, and when Tiger was untarnished.

Now, I wouldn't bet a lunch it ever opens.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-25-2011 at 01:45 PM
Woods hasn't punted on Punta Brava after all

Woods hasn't punted on Punta Brava after all
Posted on: March 24, 2011 11:16 am

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Looks like Tiger Woods' course design on the rugged cliffs of Baja California isn't going to die the same lonely death as his first course in Dubai.

Alex Chehansky, an Orlando-area entrepreneur with a background in player management and course development, is working as an adjunct on the project with Woods and his design-team leader, Bryon Bell, and said Thursday at the Arnold Palmer Invitational that the project has absolutely been resuscitated.

We'll spare you the intricacies of the financing details, because it certainly sounds complicated, but Chehansky said the project is set to pick up steam soon as a golf-only proposition over the short term.

"Later, once the world economy shakes out," he said, "we might go back and add the residential component."

The Punta Brava project, located south of San Diego, was kicked off amid massive fanfare several years ago, replete with an eye-popping, Ridley Scott-style promotional video featuring Woods standing on the edge of the craggy cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. On several of the holes, the ocean comes into play.

Woods' course in Dubai, a casualty of the real-estate slump, never really got off the ground and the developer earlier this year stopped watering and maintaining the handful of holes Woods had completed as an inducement to potential home buyers.

To date, the only real project that has gone from drawing board to fruition is the four-hole practice facility Woods has built in the backyard of his new Jupiter Island, Fla., abode.

Reports about the status of the project have been conflicting, but the course Woods designed in an upscale South Carolina community is also behind schedule and said to be on shaky financial ground because of the real-estate slump and a lack of home site sales.

Chehansky, a Naval Academy graduate, said he would supply more details later this week. Stay tuned.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/mcc/blogs/entry/6267041/28057...

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2011 at 02:06 PM

There was a post recently about TJ 'coming back',
tourists in restaurants, etc. I don't see the TJ situation
improving to any great degree and I don't see how in
el mundo, this P Banda Golf Project will go ahead
in the near furture or in the distant future. Things have
not changed much in the US Economy, and the 'casual'
US Tourists feeling of fear of the Mex Border Region
remains the same
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2011 at 02:25 PM

I think Tiger's schedule has opened up a bit since he may have realised that he's a has-been on the PGA circuit. Now he'll have more time to promote some projects.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2011 at 02:29 PM

I've toured the site and seen the proposed renderings. IMO, if this gets built according to Hoyle it should rival any ocean course in North America. Including Cypress Point.

Probably never get to play it, though.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 3-25-2011 at 02:47 PM

Even if the course is great, the commute will kill you. Isn't this course intentionally isolated? Without the residential component I don't see why build it unless you can golf free when your buy a $Million house site in advance. Then again, the rich are getting richer in this screwed up economy and a lot of them can fly their jets in for a round.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.