Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 05:16 PM

Don Alley, Wow! Thanks for the pictures. Nice fish.:D
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 07:36 PM

Yeah, but Pompano has us all beat with the beauty in the front of his boat.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 10:20 PM

Nice amberjack, Don.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 11:31 AM
TOURNAMENT FISHING NEWS FLASH!

Yesterday was Mulege's fishing day. It was the Marty Robison Memorial yellowtail tournament.

I will try and write a different thread about this rather interesting day on the water, ......

....but here a couple of highlights:

A nice yellowtail right out of the gate for my fishing partner.....on a nice flat, calm ocean... ;D

One in the boat takes the skunk off right quick.

My turn to HOOK UP!....and.....

it's almost smaller than the bait...Pepper is saying..."Hey Pompano, thanks, I could use a little snack."

Hah, NOW I hooked a nice BIG one. It weighed about 30llbs...

....OR WOULD HAVE..if it had not been bitten in half right when my partner was ready to gaff. :rolleyes:

]

Reminds me of this old song..."He got the Gold Mine...la-la.. I got the Shaft."

Care for a little swim in the ocean?...:rolleyes:

But all is not lost...the culprit hits again on the next drop...and we hit HIM!

...and the REAL fun starts......

We need a bigger boat...much, much bigger...and some Kevlar body armor.

To Be Continued On Another Thread:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 11:59 AM

I think I like the looks of that tail !!
Rob
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 03:17 PM

roger - had i known you and bendix were gonna have that much luck and the seas look calmer than they were gonna be - i should have stayed and gone out.

nice job - but who won?? how did jerry and gary do??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
roger - had i known you and bendix were gonna have that much luck and the seas look calmer than they were gonna be - i should have stayed and gone out..........

Mike...BE GLAD YOU WERE NOT. The wind came up, as predicted by the stars and Buoyweather, right around noonish. It got bad, really bad. Only idiots fish in that stuff. Soon, 3 footers were the little guys..to some rogues topping 5 and 6 feet.

Since we ARE idiots, we used 500 feet of heavy anchor road and 30 feet of chain on a big sea plow anchor. It glued our 21 CC boat right over our chosen spot. We figured we had a 50-50 chance of ever getting the anchor back.

We had stupid grins on our faces most of the time. The dogs moved away from us.

We were left all alone on the water by one o'clock. Not another boat in sight. Well, Duh!... Non-idiots were enjoying dry land at the Jungla Bar.

HOWEVER Fishing was just short of unbelievable. I had 3 MAJOR hookups with fish that broke my tough P-line.

I've caught some true monsters in that spot and know the estimated size of those that got away. Suffice to say..bigger than any in these photos or in the tournament. The bruisers broke the line in the middle depths...180 feet over 255 bottom...no rocks or abrasions. I am respooling with 60lb and going back for more. Failing that .. I do have 80lb. I am resolved to take the fight to them again and again.

Yeah, you don't want to be out in stuff like this..(unless you are an idiot, too?) Check it out when it was calm enough for me to take photos...and Pepper and Chili to stand up.

I am still stiff today from all the pounding and bracing. Hell, I'm not 25 anymore...

...or even 55.

The big fellow about to hit us was a rogue of over 6 ft. We got wet...a few times. Sure is fun out there...oh yeah...but it's kinda nice here on shore, too.

Well, that's it for now. I have to drive into town (by way of Ana's Bar) and eat the fish dinner at the Jungla and attend the awards presentation to see who won all the stuff. I abhore competitions, but I love the food and drinks. Usually you can just sit there and sooner or later somebody will feed you and set down a drink or two...

The last entries I saw yesterday before we collapsed onto the Jungla bartop..was this:

Biggest yellowtail at that time was 29 piont-something pounds caught by angler Overboard John on Mi Mujer with Bart and Mulege Jim as crewmates. My biggest in the box were dinks of about 22.5 lbs each...plus a half-fish courtesy of The Shark.

Biggest 'other' fish caught by someone was a broomtail grouper ..about 17llbs, I think.

It was a helluva day out there....fun stuff..we were almost eaten by sharks...got lots of fresh air....

....and if I should ever be stoopid enough to do it again in a wind like that, please shoot me in the leg first.

Signed: An Idiot. :rolleyes:

edit to add:

An amigo, Carlos, who owns the Havana club/cafe in San Jose del Cabo is cooking prime rib at mi casa right now...so I think we'll pass on the fish dinner at the Jungla, but thanks anyway, Bart. ;)

[Edited on 3-18-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 06:10 PM

i had no idea Bendix had German pubic haired pointers for dogs!
we used to raise em in KS.
tell him i said hey.

well we had a good tail wind on the flight home. now i have a new Canadian friend in Brian, eh??
got him to phx then he caught a flight to calgary.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 06:11 PM

Pompano, Thanks for the report and pictures.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 06:17 PM

Great pics ( as always) from a candle light romantic pic ( 9 1/2 weeks?) to the teaser shark tail pic! Regards to co pilot and sis ! :)
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 07:09 PM

Booo hooo hooo booo hooo hoooo, still crying cause I have 70 days to go. Lovely fish everyone!:(
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.