BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: PINTO FISHING DERBY - NOW OVER & WINNER'S ANNOUNCED!
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2010 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Will post further results later...if there IS a later. :spingrin:

Waiting and wondering.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-25-2010 at 09:11 AM

PINTO DERBY

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Need clarification on the honey holes............are they in the bar photos or on the maps???

I wish all contestants fair seas.......hopefully, better than we have over here right now. Blustery would be an understatement

Best fishes to all.

[Edited on 4-24-2010 by Hook]

Hook..we have all species of honeys in our Derby.

And Thanks for your fair seas wish, but unfortunately the wind gods decided to wreck havoc on our fishing day. IT WAS ROUGH for a day that was predicted to be nice. Buoyweather was a little bit off! :smug: and many boats opted for safe & comfortable boating rather then beat themselves up.

Hey..this is a strictly for-FUN tournament, and we're determined that nothing serious will ever come of it.:yes:

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I've never seen a fishing scale that weighs in grams.

Well, there ya go, monoloco! Just our style for this derby...we'll have one for next years Derby.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
That's a cute bugger, Roger:P
And I do mean the little fish.:biggrin:

Thanks Ed. Co-pilot took a liking to it, also and it now resides in a saltwater tank. She calls it Fortunato. I call it Comida.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Oh yea! There will be a later.:biggrin:

Cypress! We could have used some of your southern expertise in locating good fishing holes. Come on back to Baja..you can't find many redfish here, but these pintos can be fun, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
So, that's a pinto bass, for the purposes of the tournament?

The Mexicans over here call those calico bass but, being from SoCal, I know better. That isn't a calico (kelp) bass.

Mexfish.com defines the pinto bass as the same thing as the spotted cabrilla and differentiates that from a spotted bay bass.

At least on Mexfish.com, the fish you are holding in the LAST photo is referred to as a gold-spotted bass or gold-spotted sand bass.

I guess after a few at Ana's, they all look close enough. :lol:

[Edited on 4-24-2010 by Hook]

Hook, Hook, Hook...this is the Pinto Derby. We have 1 rule. You must have fun. If you can paint a sailfish to look like a pinto, you'll fit right in.

What's in a name? Call them sand bass, cabrilla, deepwater-goldspotted-bigeyed bladder-bulgers, or paralabrax maculatofasciatus if you must. We've been calling these gold-spots - pintos - for a half-decade..and we've ain't stopping now. ;) Go down the block and they get a different name. Mostly, pangeros call them cabrilla (On Baja commercial boats anything that looks even close to a bass is called a cabrilla.)

We don't care. :biggrin:

Mostly they are fun fish in every way..easy to find, easy to catch, easy to eat. Fits right in for a Old Baja style derby, don'tchathink?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
Roger,
We had so much fun today, I didn't win the Derby, but all of the fish that I caught were bigger than yours. :lol:

Laurie...We had a ball, too, even though my crew mutinied. And we all won, regardless of who caught the largest fish.

...Now as to My Pinto, while not the biggest fish in the sea, had certain capabilities that transcended mere lateral measurements. You knew when it was on the line.:rolleyes:

Incidentally, you can mention to Jim that I am now marketing my new discovery called WoW.

One drop of this miracle product can change this..

...into this...

Price: Whatever it takes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Pompano

I assume that fish you are holding is what you used for bait. Where the real picture of the fish?

Howard ..you are absolutely correct. Here is the real picture of the fish.

AND NOW....[drum roll]
FINAL RESULTS OF THE 2010 PINTO DERBY:

The villagers gather at Ana's for the 2010 Pinto Derby.

The winning fish was just over 21 inches..a whopper by any standards..
and...the 'spots' were nicely done, too.

1st Place: Marty - on "Mary Jane" - 21-1/4"

2nd Place: Steve/Cara - on "Montana Baja Special - 20-3/4"

3rd Place Marty - on "Mary Jane" - 19 1/2"

4th Place Mike&Celia - on "Scarecrows" ..so close..19 1/4"

Honorable Mention Award - John - Mi Mujer - 30lb yellowtail

The whopper pinto's location was the renowned area known as "The Slides" Second and third place pintos were also caught near there. Good job, guys!

The food was expertly prepared by some of the area's finest cooks...who always sample their creations.

Of course, the draft beer is a welcome specialty of the house.

Service for the Pinto Derby is buffet style..and worth the very short wait.

Good times, good people.

In addtition to his cheffing skills, Macy Man is an accomplished announcer and only fell on his face once.
SIDENOTE: Now for local news from our gossip section,
'Maude Tells All.'

From Maude's desk: 'Sheesh.. Nothing EVER happens around here...but now finally, thanks to my snitches, here's some juicy news.
'We would like to welcome this handsome couple to the area. This is a rare photo of the mysterious duo who are retired from selling timeshares on the moon. My sources tell me they live in a home/s near the Jungle in Mulege, but are seldom seen outside their quarters...honest.'

Hey, that's all for now, folks. A great, fun time was had by all. Looking forward to next year's.. PINTO DERBY.

See Ya There!

[Edited on 4-25-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 4-25-2010 at 10:50 AM

The derby was a blast, I am looking forward to next year. Here are my two biggest Pinto Bass.

159.JPG - 42kB

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-25-2010 at 03:00 PM

Lauriboats, That's a couple of nice ones!:)
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-25-2010 at 03:02 PM

Pompano, Thanks for all the pictures.:biggrin:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-25-2010 at 06:44 PM

Way to go Laurie...you rock doll! see ya mom's day!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.