Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Shock advice...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2010 at 07:53 PM

No, rear only... that was the weak part in the larger, second generation Tacoma. The Execs saw that MOST Tacomas don't go off road, and so they gave it a car like ride. The fronts are coil over shocks/ springs.

There was a TSB (Tech. Service Bulletin) on the rough rear ride and Toyota would have (and will still if under warantee) put the heavy duty or extra leaf springs on (Access Cab and Double Cab)... I learned about that TSB after I got my 2010 Tacoma (whose springs are better).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 11:09 AM

Okay, I pulled the trigger...5100's front/rear + Ride Rites. Truck feels GREAT...really solid (of course, I'm talking about city speed bumps, but I can tell she'll go great down south).

So - David K or whomever - two questions:

1.) How big of a pain is adjusting the lift? I know you can't just do it in your garage w/o some major tools... I certainly don't need a lift for where I live year round, but if I just wanted to try a Baja run with it, am I just looking at an hour or so at mechanic?

2.) Regarding Ride Rites: Assuming I have a pretty full truck bed (supplies for a 7 day run - ice, beers, ice, beers, etc.), have you found a sweet spot PSI for inflation or do you just eyeball it?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 02:48 PM

Just a plug for KYB shocks and all lifetime guarantees.

The first set we had on the front of our 2003 Tundra lasted about 100,000 miles----trips to Baja, but had not bought the house yet.

Second set lasted 55,000 miles, BUT they honored the lifetime guarantee and we only had to pay for the installation. The washboard out here and the pot hole heaven road from Vizcaino to the turn off to BA wore out the rubber gasket--- all of sudden the squeak was AWFUL. (not sure where the gasket was because I know very little about shocks)

So hope do keep all your paper work as it sounds like you are going to own your Tundra as long as we will probably own ours.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:03 PM

"lifetime guarantees":lol::lol::lol::lol:

"plug for KYB shocks"
bad in 55k:lol::lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:06 PM

DT, it sounds like he already did the change... said truck feels great.

bigzaggin, I not sure if I understand what you are asking... ?

To adjust the lift/ firmness (in back) you just add air!

My simple setup had two fill lines located on each side of the license plate... A very short puff of air will raise the back.

I would say the mimimum/ normal unloaded pressure would be 15 psi... The max is 100, but NEVER go that high, you won't need to and it could damage the axle.

The most I ever ran was 45 psi and my Tacoma was a couple inches higher, unloaded. With a heavy load the suspension was perfect, never bottomed out... off road. Most often I ran them at 25-30 psi for most Baja trips

The front 5100's are adjustable, but I never needed to change the front suspension, so I can't tell you how.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

"plug for KYB shocks"

Of course those lifetime guarantees do not go with the truck if it is sold. They just don't expect anyone to keep a vehicle as long as we keep ours or drive the horrible roads so often. ----have used a few other lifetime guarantees.

So if they keep coming free of charge, we will keep using them. :yes:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:15 PM

you're still paying and paying and paying for installation

get a better shock

our website is:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
you're still paying and paying and paying for installation

get a better shock

Only once----- I hope we do not own this for another 55000 miles as it will then be well over 200,000 miles---then again, we could leave it here for just a Baja truck and we did own the last truck for over 200,000 miles before it was stolen.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 04:13 PM

you can't just adjust the 5100's to a higher notch. it will destroy your CV joints due to the extreme angles. maybe up 1 notch ONLY and you'll be okay. you will need to do a differential drop modification if you go higher than the 2nd notch. do a google search and you will be amazed.....

just leave them as they are and enjoy them.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
sorry woody
i can buy them all day for 5k

the thing you have to look at is...
is it worth the money to invest into an old truck or get a new one

cars are a BAD investment

you are buying a house so DO NOT buy a new one:light:
I'd like to know where you can buy them for 5k because I've been looking for one and they are all north of 10k around here in Oregon.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 07:08 PM

David - the first question was regarding listing the Billsteins (should have made that clear), but Woody chimed in with the answer I was expecting. I kind of just wanted to TRY a lift just for the helluva it, but doesn't sound worth the effort.

But thanks for the Ride Rite tips. Mine has the same twin valves in the back...eager to try it out (heading to Asuncion area next week).
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 07:18 PM

"i can buy them all day for 5k"
or less
used car auction in the inland empire

just looked at one at a dealer for 6k
what do you think he paid
2.5k?

people "give" them to car dealers in trades

our website is:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
David - the first question was regarding listing the Billsteins (should have made that clear), but Woody chimed in with the answer I was expecting. I kind of just wanted to TRY a lift just for the helluva it, but doesn't sound worth the effort.

But thanks for the Ride Rite tips. Mine has the same twin valves in the back...eager to try it out (heading to Asuncion area next week).

while fully loaded my air bags have stopped the bottom out problems. when you get camp set up you should let the pressure down to about 15 pounds (with no cargo) or the ride will be horrendous. just air up when your ready to go home. even a foot pump can easily pump 50-60 pounds pretty fast. you should have a quick compressor for your tires, tho!

mo' bettah, brah!

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 11:42 PM

bigzaggin. nice tent.

yuletide
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:08 AM

Okay, sounds good... You will enjoy the Ride Rites... adjust your ride with air.

Toyota put better springs on the '10 and it never bottoms. The Santa Maria run was a great test... We had two ice chests in the back, and lots of bumps.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Toyota put better springs on the '10 and it never bottoms. The Santa Maria run was a great test... We had two ice chests in the back, and lots of bumps.

DK you need to come down to chase Paul on a race or pre-run, that will load your truck. In the bed I carry two tool boxes, one with tools and one with various bike hardware, a box with oil and various fluids and misc items like spare bike tubes etc. second spare tire for the truck. I don't have time to drop the regular spare. A bottle jack with wood lift pieces. Spare front and rear wheels for bike. High lift jack. two thirty foot tow straps and one short strap. Some times an EZ up. Sometimes a portable winch with connectors etc. Depending maybe a pre-run bike. 5 gallons water. Two 5 gallon gas cans and one large ice chest that doubles as a bike stand. Min two lawn chairs.

In the back seat I have a fire ext. Coleman jump start battery unit. My coffee pot box with plates silverware stuff, Coleman burner and can of fuel and other misc. stuff like JB Quick Weld. Three race radios in one case. Radios maybe out depending on what I'm doing and going. Jackets and food.

If not staying in a hotel I have my cots and sleeping bags with me.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by TW]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

"plug for KYB shocks"

Of course those lifetime guarantees do not go with the truck if it is sold. They just don't expect anyone to keep a vehicle as long as we keep ours or drive the horrible roads so often. ----have used a few other lifetime guarantees.

So if they keep coming free of charge, we will keep using them. :yes:

Now that sounds like a good selling point... will check them out.. Thanks... :):)

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 11:32 AM
what type

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

DK you need to come down to chase Paul on a race or pre-run, that will load your truck. In the bed I carry two tool boxes, one with tools and one with various bike hardware, a box with oil and various fluids and misc items like spare bike tubes etc. second spare tire for the truck. I don't have time to drop the regular spare. A bottle jack with wood lift pieces. Spare front and rear wheels for bike. High lift jack. two thirty foot tow straps and one short strap. Some times an EZ up. Sometimes a portable winch with connectors etc. Depending maybe a pre-run bike. 5 gallons water. Two 5 gallon gas cans and one large ice chest that doubles as a bike stand. Min two lawn chairs.

In the back seat I have a fire ext. Coleman jump start battery unit. My coffee pot box with plates silverware stuff, Coleman burner and can of fuel and other misc. stuff like JB Quick Weld. Three race radios in one case. Radios maybe out depending on what I'm doing and going. Jackets and food.

If not staying in a hotel I have my cots and sleeping bags with me.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by TW]

Have just started looking... nothing as hard as you guy's put on them ... will be on the "pavement" most all the time..

What you running on?.... plus I'm really cheap.. really

Thanks

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 02:07 PM
Ride Rites

I have airbags front and rear on a '06 F350. Originally had one air valve front and one rear. Can't think of a situation where one bag would be filled with more or less air -- only the same pressure -- so one valve for 2 bags saves time. Ran it this way for a month and decided to go with an onboard air compressor and air gauge inside the cab -- a flip of a switch fills the front or rear, or deflates. I like the convenience over doing it manually.

I keep the bags at about 10-15psi, generally. The bags lose about 5psi (normal) a month.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 02:41 PM

I think I read somewhere that if they weren't on seperate fill lines, the pressure could change as you made sharp turns (if they were connected together).

I am not sure I buy that answer... but the Ride Rite kit had two lines and two fill valves for the two bags.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.