Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Making an Off-Road Truck Better
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajeffrey
I have dual shocks on the front of a 90GMC suburban (rancho 9000) and single 9000s in the rear, Many trips to Gonzaga and beyond cartopping a 14' valco and the only problem I have had is a busted shock mount. once every few years I change the shock bushings and that tightens everything up. one rancho 9000 is abuot 90 bucks.

Not trying to start a big ol' debate, but ONE trip with Rancho 9000's on the Gonzaga road and the shock oil is DONE! The shock oil heats up and breaks down. I've been there and done this with that brand. You need to utilize a reservoir shock that is servicable and rebuildable. After a couple trips you change the oil, adjust the shock while servicing if need be and your good to go. Rancho now makes a reservoir shock as does FOX, King, Pro Comp etc...

In fact, FOX manufactures replacement OEM shocks for all makes and models of trucks nowadays for a very fair price. I do the Gonzaga road alot including two days ago, it's nice and gnarly rock base with some nice washboard.

Your Rancho's are way past worn out by now...that's prolly why you think they are so good now...:biggrin:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
BajaGringo, for what reason do you think you need dual shocks?Just curious.My 92 Ford diesel use to break front shock mounts.It would crack around the bolts holding it to the frame.Went to 5/8 bolts and titanium doublers.

Whistler is 100 percent correct.

You don't need dual shock configuration. You just need a good reservoir shock. And you don't need a full blown race shock, just a well-built reservoir shock that you can service in your garage by anyone who can use a crescent wrench...

:biggrin:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:19 PM

I put Freightliner (class 6 truck) shocks for my van/motorhome and work great.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Part of the problem is that when Detroit thinks about "off-road" they think of.....paint jobs....decals......crome....ORANGE seats....bigger mirrors...flashy wheels....floormats:no:

Jeep® Wrangler “J8 Sarge”
The Jeep Wrangler “J8 Sarge” is a military version of the new JK platform built as a non-combat military support vehicle. Built from the 116-inch wheelbase version, the “J8 Sarge” is offered in either two-door or four-door configurations. Special J8-only structural upgrades in the body and chassis combine to increase the GVWR rating to 7,400 pounds.

The platform can be configured as a light-troop carrier, ambulance or cargo truck. Other notable features include the Dana 60 rear axle mounted on leaf springs, larger front-disc brakes and exclusive J8-only 17 x 8 steel wheels with a larger 5 x 5.5-inch bolt pattern. The rear differential is equipped with Trac-Lok limited slip device (the front is open).

The powertrain is the VM 2.8-liter 4-cylinder turbo-diesel engine producing 158 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. It’s mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. The four-wheel-drive system is the Command-Trac with both high and low-range gearing.

Other features unique to the “J8 Sarge” are heavy-duty steel bumpers each equipped with two forged military-spec 'helicopter hooks' (rated at 1.5 GVWR each), a hood-mounted air intake snorkel, dual rear-mounted battery boxes and heavy-duty spring hood latches.

The “J8 Sarge” has been upgraded with 1.25-inch Superlift front coil spacers, BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain tires and custom cargo top. It’s painted olive drab with military markings.

The Jeep J8 is manufactured in a Chrysler LLC joint-venture facility in Cairo. There are currently no plans to offer the J8 for retail sale in the North American market. The “J8 Sarge” premiered at Moab Jeep Safari 2008.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 07:54 AM

This looks like a pretty good deal to me.

15" of wheel travel, with 4wd!
4.5” wider per side
Tubular upper control arm, with 1" uniball
Boxed plate lower control arm
Bolt-on spindle extension, Improves geometry and adds strength
Removes torsion bars
Optional bypass shock mount
Retains factory alignment
Powdercoated 'Gunmetal Grey'

Suspension Kit Includes:

Tubular upper control arms, with Bushings and Uniballs Installed
Boxed plate lower control arms with Bushings and Balljoints Installed
Spindle extension/brace
Shock Towers with Crossbrace
Complete Axles with Custom heat treated 4340 shafts.
930 race series inner CV Joints with Custom Adaptor
Steering Relay Bar Modified for Rod Ends
Custom Tie Rod Adjusteers
Brake lines, Limit straps, bolt kit
Suspension Kit Price: $3500.00

2.5 c/o shocks + coils: $1200.00pr

2.0 x 3 Hydraulic Bumpstops with Frame Mounts: $450pr
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

that is some kind of set up you have created there... good for you.. really like folks taking off on their own ... and saw DK's pic's of you in real time conditions.. outstanding...

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

that is some kind of set up you have created there... good for you.. really like folks taking off on their own ... and saw DK's pic's of you in real time conditions.. outstanding...

Thank you Wesson, some of us like to make things outside of the ordinary, and take things to the limit before we learn.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Way over the top for most people.No matter what vehicle you own,I would purchase a system that was vehicle specific(as opposed to companies that build systems for 30 different vehicles) and who race or compete.You know they have done extensive testing.

I remember when the Dixon brothers built their first Ranger to race. From their web site all their products are for Fords except for the one chevy system. I wonder why they made an exception?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 08:20 AM

Truly enjoy watching what "these" vehicle are capable of doing with the developments which have been made over the past 50 years... just super what can be done.. they can all most fly ....

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 01:17 PM

Your right there has been a lot of improvments to off road vehicles over the years. In off-road racing the Trophy Trucks are the cream of the crop with huge wheel travel and horse power. The weird thing is that over the period since the TT was introduced the class one cars offen beat them with less whell travel and horse power. The only reason I can think why that is happening is that the TT drivers keep going faster and faster until they hit something that breaks something. I think a TT driver that just ran a smart pace and race without the down time would win. As Gary Bailey says slow down to go faster.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2010 at 07:48 AM

Here is a link to some pictures of a European off road group -

http://picasaweb.google.com/petitgros2010

Quite a variety of styles - How do you think they would do in Baja?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2010 at 04:20 PM

It would probably be a hoot to drive one of the big guys. What was it 93 or 94 someone drove a kenworth in the 1000. I understand it had satellite data being analyzed at the factory or some test location. I think it only went 180 miles.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2010 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Here is a link to some pictures of a European off road group -

http://picasaweb.google.com/petitgros2010

Quite a variety of styles - How do you think they would do in Baja?

They may make it through the course, but the race would have been long over
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Quote:
BajaGringo, for what reason do you think you need dual shocks?Just curious.My 92 Ford diesel use to break front shock mounts.It would crack around the bolts holding it to the frame.Went to 5/8 bolts and titanium doublers.

Whistler is 100 percent correct.

You don't need dual shock configuration. You just need a good reservoir shock. And you don't need a full blown race shock, just a well-built reservoir shock that you can service in your garage by anyone who can use a crescent wrench...

:biggrin:
I have had the Fox reservoir shocks on my F350 for 70,000 Baja miles now with no problems.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.