Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Punta Banda Camping
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Speaking of Punta Banda camping... How about any reports of the Agua Caliente campground in Punta Banda where you walk out on the wet sand flats at low tide until you feel warmth, dig a hole with the shovel you brought, and hot spring water fills up the hole...???

It's all still there, David. Across the road in the high side of La Joya, there a maintenance building with an open, two foot diameter well dug to a depth of about twenty feet, or whatever. You can drop a bucket into the well and bring up steaming hot water.
These are part of the owners original plans.....to develop some kind of Spa based on the thermal springs in the area.
Still on the list of, "Things to do."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 07:22 AM

Thanks Dennis... magma is nearby to keep your toes warm!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 08:06 AM

Hmmm, welll ??? okay, next subject!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
We came back last night and had a 2 hour wait. I couldn't use the Sentri because my friend doesn't have a pass.

The best way to do that is to drop them off and have them walk across the border then pick them up on the other side. This can be a little scary for Baja newbs. Usually if you explain the difference in wait time, they figure out that they can handle it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Do you live in Punta Banda?

Yes....Just up the road a short distance from la Joya.
Two hours at the end of a holiday weekend would be considered tolerable.

Dennis do you know Rocky Marciano (the former heavy weight champs son)? He has a house in La Jolla camp. I haven't seen him in several years so I'm not sure he's still alive. My brother had a trailer next to his place.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Dennis do you know Rocky Marciano (the former heavy weight champs son)? He has a house in La Jolla camp. I haven't seen him in several years so I'm not sure he's still alive. My brother had a trailer next to his place.

Not right off hand, TW. Let me research this and I'll get back here with what I find.
hawaiicruz

Mood: Missing Mex

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Speaking of Punta Banda camping... How about any reports of the Agua Caliente campground in Punta Banda where you walk out on the wet sand flats at low tide until you feel warmth, dig a hole with the shovel you brought, and hot spring water fills up the hole...???

I remember the first time I was there 1971? I think I was 7. The hot springs were there, no organized campgrounds at all. They hadn't even started building the half built hotel yet. We went many times when I was growing up, what great memories I have of that place. That's where my whole love affair with the peninsula began
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

He's still here and still alive!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
Quote:
We came back last night and had a 2 hour wait. I couldn't use the Sentri because my friend doesn't have a pass.

The best way to do that is to drop them off and have them walk across the border then pick them up on the other side. This can be a little scary for Baja newbs. Usually if you explain the difference in wait time, they figure out that they can handle it.

My wife and pickup got their Sentri Pass before I did so we did something similar in Mexicali, but, because the walk over lines were long she would drive up to the Sentri Gate and left me off. I would step over the low concrete wall, hold up my passport and thumb and get in a car in the regular lane real close to the regular gate that saw what was going on. Worked the two times I needed it.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

Thanks, next time you see him tell him Tom and Bill Wimberly said hi.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Thanks, next time you see him tell him Tom and Bill Wimberly said hi.

I've been asking a few people who, I thought, knew everybody in La Joya.
I guess they don't because all I got was, "The Thousand Yard Stare."

Glad whoever he is, is still on the right side of the dirt.

[once you're past 65, you can use that aphorism]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 12:06 PM
walking the beach in "Punta Banda"

Mostly locals when we were there in 2007.
A nice place to camp.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Mostly locals when we were there in 2007.
A nice place to camp.

I've been over that hill many times during the 80s to dive in Kennedy Cove. The kennedy's are a Mexican family that ran lobster traps. The old man died (drown) early 80s sometime. It was winter and he had heavy clothes on in rough water and got knocked overboard.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 01:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, Rocky is alive and well! Still enjoys an occasional beer and a fiesta. Sold his house in La Jolla of about 25 years and has moved to a rental unit about a block away. Comes down only part time now.

Just do it!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 08:20 AM

Thanks Beachbum.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.