4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 06:53 AM

gets the job done
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 08:41 AM
TILT AND SURF/LOADING BOAT

re TILT CONTROL AND SURF When we launch the boat here at the ranch, Pacific surf runs from 3-4ft on a normal day to 6+ft (anything more than that is a holiday).

The tilt-control "locks" the engine in a given position and when you hit the bottom between waves, that impact is transferred directly through the drive shaft and transom. One of these days something is going to give - and with my luck we will be staring directly at some monster tsunami about 400m from the beach . . . the fishermen here know what works - a panga with a free-swinging engine that just bounces when it hits the bottom.

HOW WE LOAD the boat travels on teflon-lined beams. To launch you just push the boat backwards until it "falls" down the incline, usually straight into the water on the Cortez side, or at the edge on the Pacific. To load, attach winch cable to transom, wet teflon and push button (at top of slope, lifting the bow eases the strain on the transom.

boat-on-trailer.jpg - 13kB
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Then there was my 1st 8' Livingston. Even had a cabin:lol: Great "little" mooching boat if the current wasn't too strong.
[img]
[Edited on 11-1-2010 by Russ]

mooching with downriggers? :P:lol:

[Edited on 11-1-2010 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 11:26 AM
Dizzyspots rig

Dizzyspots asked me to post this pic for him after I redid the picture to 44 k 4 him.

Good looking boat there. I like the yellow paint job:o

[Edited on 11-1-2010 by mcfez]

dizz.jpg - 45kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
re TILT CONTROL AND SURF When we launch the boat here at the ranch, Pacific surf runs from 3-4ft on a normal day to 6+ft (anything more than that is a holiday).

The tilt-control "locks" the engine in a given position and when you hit the bottom between waves, that impact is transferred directly through the drive shaft and transom. One of these days something is going to give - and with my luck we will be staring directly at some monster tsunami about 400m from the beach . . . the fishermen here know what works - a panga with a free-swinging engine that just bounces when it hits the bottom.

HOW WE LOAD the boat travels on teflon-lined beams. To launch you just push the boat backwards until it "falls" down the incline, usually straight into the water on the Cortez side, or at the edge on the Pacific. To load, attach winch cable to transom, wet teflon and push button (at top of slope, lifting the bow eases the strain on the transom.

I just love these ideas! Bunch of Einsteins here.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 12:57 PM

Here is mine. It's lightweight, easy to transport, you can fish from it, you can cruise around in it, and in a pinch you can even surf with it.

kayak surf.jpg - 30kB

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 12:57 PM

18' Baja Bayrunner named OSO DE ORO, works great in choppy water.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 05:20 PM
Need a sailboat in here too.

Getting bottom painted
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 07:20 PM

Jack, are you on the Sonrisa Net in the morning?

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Here is mine. It's lightweight, easy to transport, you can fish from it, you can cruise around in it, and in a pinch you can even surf with it.

....AND, even sip on a beer while surfing with it!! :lol:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 07:27 PM

Hook, we're still up in the US until December. Don't really use ham radio here. Once on the boat, yes.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 09:53 AM

This is my third Baja boat. First was a 15' Gregor with an Evinrude 35. Second was a 19' Bayrunner Baja with a Nissan 70. Now this 21' Bayrunner Baja with a Johnson 115. I thought it was my ultimate Baja boat. Now I'm reconsidering because I hate getting beat up when the wind and swell come up. And I've watched 4Baja head out to the island for big yellows way too many times when I didn't want to make the run because I knew it would be a rough run back. Now I'm thinking a 20' fiberglass center console (something with a deep v, maybe an old Mako) with a 4-stroke.

Vamonos.jpg - 33kB
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 11:04 AM

I have a 16 foot Bayrunner. It does ride a little rough with whitecaps. Very seaworthy though.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 02:29 PM

23' WA with 225 Yamaha 4 stroke
130 gal fuel tank
30 gal bait tank

Reason's for purchase:
Most of my fishing is in So Cal and I usually weekend onboard so I went with the cuddy cabin plus the locking cabin let's me secure all my equipment if I go out for dinner. I chose the Striper because it had sufficient fuel capacity to give the boat more range than I have. :lol: and a decent size bait tank. I limited myself to the 23' as it is easy to tow down Mx 1. ( 3 trips to La Paz, 1 to Mag Bay, 2 to Loreto and several to BoLA) but is still large enough to fish anywhere I want (with a decent ramp or packed sand)

I absolutely love my Yamaha outboard. I have had I/O's but white worms are a problem in SoCal so I can now tilt the engine completely out of the water. At idle the engine is so quiet I have to shut off the bait pump to hear if it is running :lol: Of course the downside is I am sure I have nicked my flywheel several times by trying to start it when it is already running.

Buenaventura  [320x200].jpg - 44kB

In Memory of E-57
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 02:42 PM

Cabo216

One room condo on wheels or water.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 03:08 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26940&pag...

See my response above to a similiar thread back in 2007. I still stick to this MO in Baja. Towing or keeping boats permanently in Baja present challenges I don't wish upon myself. I've seen too many boats parked along the road jacked up with broken axle or springs and wheel missing or boat moored at a dock with the outboard stolen...not for me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 03:51 PM

Egads!...in almost 40 years of boating in Baja, I've collected a few ..some for fishing, some for gunkholing, some for c-cktails, some for sailing...some for planting flowers in...it's been a blast so far.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2010 at 07:56 PM

This is my US boat but I'll probably tow it down this summer. I've always wanted to overnight off La Guardia and points further south. The biggest negative to a big boat is the hassle of fueling it up when I live five miles down a rutted dirt road from the local pemex.

zoom in boat.jpg - 20kB
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
This is my US boat but I'll probably tow it down this summer. I've always wanted to overnight off La Guardia and points further south. The biggest negative to a big boat is the hassle of fueling it up when I live five miles down a rutted dirt road from the local pemex.
I suggest that you re-torque every one of your trailer's bolts after each trip to the Pemex. I had an axle come off on THAT road! (Of course the trailer was so new at the time the bolts had no rust on them yet)

I think I would just launch it at Guillermo's and anchor just offshore at Gecko's so I could keep my trailer off that road :lol:

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 02:39 PM

Yep. Probably launch in town and make arrangements for the trailer.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.