Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A new Ride for Off Road
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 11:23 AM
Great Tacoma buildup article

Bud Built and All Pro products were used on this Tacoma. Also, the TrXus MT tires I have been running for the past 7 years.

Toyota Tacoma Article - OffRoad.com

2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD - Arizona Taco
A Mild Arizona Tacoma That Works Well In Dirt, Sand, Rocks, And Sometimes Snow
From the December, 2007 issue of Off-Road
By Phil Howell
Photography by Phil Howell
Yeah, we know there's plenty of snow in northern Arizona, but Ken Francisco, the off-roader formerly known as ZUK, resides in Chandler, Arizona, where there's plenty of heat but none of the white stuff. He wants his vehicles to work everywhere though, even in snow. Ken has owned a number of capable vehicles, including his famous Samurai, a few Toyota pickups, and now this Toyota Tacoma Xtracab. Ken searched for a clean Tacoma, which is a daunting task as most Tacoma owners drive their trucks into the ground then try to sell them for more than the trucks cost new. He finally found this clean '01 with 3.4L V6, automatic overdrive tranny, and TRD Off-Road package that includes a rear electric differential locker.

Ken wanted to use this truck for his favorite pastimes: camping and exploring the backcountry. He also wanted a reliable daily driver, so he decided to perform a mild build of the Taco' so it wouldn't be too radical but would do what was asked of it. To this end, he contacted All-Pro Off-Road and ordered front and rear bumpers, rocker guards, and All-Pro's Tacoma suspension system. The suspension includes Bilstein coilovers for the front that Ken set at 2.5 inches of lift and supple leaf packs for the rear damped by Bilstein shocks. The suspension allowed Ken to mount 285/75R16 Interco TrXus MT tires on the stock Toyota alloy wheels. The 285s are approximately 33 inches in diameter - not that much bigger than the stock 31s that came on the TRD Taco' - so Ken elected to leave the factory 4.10 gears in the differentials. He also left the transfer case stock. Besides the excellent All-Pro bumpers and rocker guards, Ken bolted up a tough bellypan skidplate and front IFS guard from BudBuilt to keep rocks at bay.

Ken's Arizona Taco' works perfectly for him. He drives it daily to work and on the weekends takes the truck into the Arizona desert and mountains. He ventured all the way to northern Utah, then into southern Idaho where we found the deep snow. Ken says he likes the reliability of his Toyota. With 80,000 miles on the odometer, he's had no issues at all. Being Ken, the off-roader formerly known as ZUK, he tells us that a straight-axle swap is in the future for his Tacoma. Other than that, his Arizona Taco' already works great in the desert dirt, sand, rocks, and in the snow he finds. Even around Arizona

[img]http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/9133517+w750+st0/0712or_15_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_trd+ifs_skidplate.jpg[/img]
[img]http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/9133520+w750+st0/0712or_16_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_trd+budbuilt_bellypan_skidplate.jpg[/img]
[img]http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/9133535+w750+st0/0712or_22_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_trd+285_75r16_interco_trxus_mts.jpg[/img]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 11:14 AM

My truck came with 32 inch tires and they are almost new. I'll probably go to the LT285 when I replace them and do the Bilstein shock change then. I'm having a locker put in the rear now.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
My truck came with 32 inch tires and they are almost new. I'll probably go to the LT285 when I replace them and do the Bilstein shock change then. I'm having a locker put in the rear now.

That's a great short-list. Be sure to take pictures of the truck when you can.

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 05:44 PM

I'd stay away from the drop bracket lifts. Even though I had one on my last 96 4runner. It throws your center of gravity high, but not increasing ground clearence (unless you put big tires of course). I ran 35's with no gearing issues either.

For a Tacoma Id do 2.5" coilovers, 3" rear leaf and 1" body lift and run 33's easy. ;)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
I ran 35's with no gearing issues either.

What gearing did you run in order for 35s not to affect your drive ratio? 4 cyl?

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
I'd stay away from the drop bracket lifts. Even though I had one on my last 96 4runner. It throws your center of gravity high, but not increasing ground clearence (unless you put big tires of course). I ran 35's with no gearing issues either.

For a Tacoma Id do 2.5" coilovers, 3" rear leaf and 1" body lift and run 33's easy. ;)

I doubt a 4banger , Im with boo the 2.5 coilovers are the way to go hands down and add a leaf for a cheep rout on the rear. or a set of devers for 900. stay away from body lifts

[Edited on 2-11-2011 by TheBajaKid]
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:29 PM

Kens truck sounds like bumpers and sliders. not much better than stock unless you plan on running into things.;D
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Good man! Toyotas rule!

Yup! Luv my '04 Taco I bought from Max a couple years ago. Dealer keeps wanting me to trade in, even says he'll give me original purchase price as trade-in value! But I don't think so. I drive a company car during the week so the Toy is only for weekends etc. Still less than 50k on it. I don't need new.

I am a little past when the book says get 45k servicing. I'm debating whether to pay dealer price for this or see if my local mechanic can handle it and whether or not ALL those items are really necessary. I'm using Castrol synthetic.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 05:01 PM

nice rides and great pictures... thanks much.. for sharing... looks like fun

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Good man! Toyotas rule!

Yup! Luv my '04 Taco I bought from Max a couple years ago. Dealer keeps wanting me to trade in, even says he'll give me original purchase price as trade-in value! But I don't think so. I drive a company car during the week so the Toy is only for weekends etc. Still less than 50k on it. I don't need new.

I am a little past when the book says get 45k servicing. I'm debating whether to pay dealer price for this or see if my local mechanic can handle it and whether or not ALL those items are really necessary. I'm using Castrol synthetic.

I have 191,000 on my 04 Tacoma ext cab 4x4 v6. 5speed
@90,000 miles i changed spark plugs, wers, and coils myself
also had tranny flushed transfercase and front and rear diffs drained and refilled done at Toyota.
tie rod ends inner and outer have be replaced and the steering rack ( I drive like im racing the 1000) all done myself.
@ 191,000 i just had the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, idler pulley, ac and alt belts and new radiator hoses.
Now its to the shop for a clutch, pressure plate and a throwout bearing. Have to get her ready for my upcoming trip down to los cabos.
They say water pumps go out at 90,000 to 110,000. i got 188,000 and it started leaking. So thats what you have to look forward to.
Dont get fancy replace your parts with the stock Toyota parts and your truck will be much happier.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 11:50 AM

In response I had 4.30 stock gears with the 3.4L V6. Had plenty of Torque and high end. I could have easily gone to 4.88's but I was totally fine with the 4.30's. :D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.