Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Rental Car Tips!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 01:01 PM

They will not accept your credit card insurance. Don't give it a second thought. Buy their CDW. Not positive, but I think US credit card issuers that provide the additional collision benefit only cover the US.

Also, Mexican law requires the agencies to provide minimum legal limits in their daily rate. Don't let them upsell you for higher coverage limits on liability.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
They will not accept your credit card insurance. Don't give it a second thought. Buy their CDW. Not positive, but I think US credit card issuers that provide the additional collision benefit only cover the US.

Also, Mexican law requires the agencies to provide minimum legal limits in their daily rate. Don't let them upsell you for higher coverage limits on liability.

Most foreign countries are covered by the major credit card companies.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/compare-credit-c...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

I stand corrected on that. But with the exception of Diners' Club(anyone even carry that card anymore?) you will note that the coverage is secondary. Practically, what that means is that you would have to pay for the repairs out of pocket and then claim reimbursement from the card issuer. The rental car agency will not deal direct with the card issuer. So, buy the CDW at time of rental.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

I stand corrected on that. But with the exception of Diners' Club(anyone even carry that card anymore?) you will note that the coverage is secondary. Practically, what that means is that you would have to pay for the repairs out of pocket and then claim reimbursement from the card issuer. The rental car agency will not deal direct with the card issuer. So, buy the CDW at time of rental.

I'll take the risk. Worst case I would be out the interest on the card for the time to process the claim.

That said, I know most just pay it, and probably feel more comfortable doing so.

Different strokes.

Ken
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 03:55 PM

Nothing for nothing but I have been through this many times over the years. When I need a car in Cabo I will not make a reservation on line. I walk up to the rent-a car booths that are all lined up in the same place and tell them all at the same time what my requirements are. All the people bring out their calculators and start to work. Everything including insurance etc IS negotable. If you dont like what one offers, go to the next. I guarantee the price will beat anything you can get in the net.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 03:56 PM

Different strokes, indeed. You appear to have much greater confidence in the service provided by the third party companies that the card issuer employs! Just saying that I've heard and read of some major delays and hassles.

That said, I did note much earlier in this thread that I never bought the CDW when renting in Cabo. However, those were much simpler times, before all the grifters showed up from the mainland.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocmoc
and want a huge deposit as stated above.

I have rented cars at SJD airport probably two dozen times over the last 12 years. I have always received the best rates from Dollar over the Internet. I have never had any unexpected charges from them on my credit card. I always take CDW and they have never required a deposit of any kind on my credit card.

The best way to see Los Cabos is with a rental car. That is what I recommend.

There are no hotel shuttles at the SJD airport except maybe for Las Ventanas and Palmilla but they charge for those servces and are private.

Judy, I'll pick you up at the airport and it won't cost you a dime........well, maybe some limes.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Taxis are the most expensive way to get around here in Los Cabos. From the airport to San Lucas is about $70, to Los Barrilles about $80, to San Jose about $50. The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients. Only airport taxis are allowed in the airport. We have friends who are cab drivers but they cannot come to the airport to pick us up.

The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients.....

Thats crazy! Is that a policy thats been around for a while in Baja? In the Mexican Rivera...hotels (El Presidente and Hilton) gets their clients.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients.....

Yes, and no. The Taxi Union discourages the practice - the Governor has a vested interest in the taxi cartel. And the hotels are more than happy to eliminate the practice of picking up guests at the airport. BUT......the higher end hotels will send a private vehicle (Suburban, SUV, etc.) out to pick a guest up for a charge, which is more expensive than taxi fare.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 02:38 PM

It's more than just airport transportation. The resorts along the corridor cannot provide shuttles into either town. That said, the cab drivers are also victimized by their own union. There is, in fact a surfeit of cabs and drivers. They are forced to adhere to rules that don't allow any one of them to make as much money as they might under a free market. One need only look at the idle taxis at the various stands in the area. The Gringo Gazette ran a series of articles some time back about this. The cab drivers spend significantly more idle time parked at the stands than they do actually driving fares.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
It's more than just airport transportation. The resorts along the corridor cannot provide shuttles into either town.

I know the Hilton, Melia, and Sheraton, all on the Corridor, provide shuttles into San Lucas for their guests for a price.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
It's more than just airport transportation. The resorts along the corridor cannot provide shuttles into either town.

I know the Hilton, Melia, and Sheraton, all on the Corridor, provide shuttles into San Lucas for their guests for a price.

But, I think they are using the cabs for their shuttle.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients.....

Yes, and no. The Taxi Union discourages the practice - the Governor has a vested interest in the taxi cartel. And the hotels are more than happy to eliminate the practice of picking up guests at the airport. BUT......the higher end hotels will send a private vehicle (Suburban, SUV, etc.) out to pick a guest up for a charge, which is more expensive than taxi fare.

I never paid for the service. The rates of the rooms are insane so I guess they just kick the taxi numbers in there somewhere.

The good thing about hotel PU is that they are there before you arrive, grab your bags off the belt...no hassles. I like that.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.