BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Rain Reports & Latest Road Reports?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
mcfez, I'm at Mom's house in Shingle Springs right now. Been raining since I left LA yesterday at 5 a.m. Only got heavier as I moved north! Poured last night.:o Change of plans meant I had 2 free days. Now another change. All my big stuff is going in storage in Orange, and I don't have to haul it in the rain. Weather looks wet till at least Christmas Eve, and I'd rather pay a few months storage than chance ruining all my furniture. Seems the boat and tackle don't mind getting wet though, :lol:so I'll be in La Paz for Christmas Day, and be fishing on New Years!:biggrin:

Bet it slowed you down----no 6 hours from Orange to Shingle Springs. :biggrin: We were lucky to hit a good break in the weather up there.

Sorry you will be delayed in taking down your household things, but sounds like the fishing plans are good.

Right now in Imperial Beach it is cloudy, but dry. But rain is still predicted to at least Tuesday.

[Edited on 12-18-2010 by DianaT]

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 03:48 PM

Diana, I left Orange at 5:04am. Stopped at that Apricot restaraunt for grub and gas, and pulled into Mom's drive at 11:39am. Caution!!!! Low flying aircraft!!! Oh, it has been off and on pouring here in Shingle Springs. 50 is a mess!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 06:24 PM

Left Laguna at 3PST and got home at 4:30MST. I missed hitting the detour during light by 15 minutes. I was the 1st in my group and navigated it with ease. Mostly paved or well groomed dirt now. The rain and drizzly had just about stopped when I went through. After that the road is in good shape except for a few stretches.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
mcfez, I'm at Mom's house in Shingle Springs right now. Been raining since I left LA yesterday at 5 a.m. Only got heavier as I moved north! Poured last night.:o Change of plans meant I had 2 free days. Now another change. All my big stuff is going in storage in Orange, and I don't have to haul it in the rain. Weather looks wet till at least Christmas Eve, and I'd rather pay a few months storage than chance ruining all my furniture. Seems the boat and tackle don't mind getting wet though, :lol:so I'll be in La Paz for Christmas Day, and be fishing on New Years!:biggrin:

Just u2 you. Sorry we could not meet up tonight at the Red Hawk.....will miss em pork chops you r having there tonight!!!!!! Drive very safe....alerts are flying up everywhere in the past hour.

Save me some fish down there!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Left Laguna at 3PST and got home at 4:30MST. I missed hitting the detour during light by 15 minutes. I was the 1st in my group and navigated it with ease. Mostly paved or well groomed dirt now. The rain and drizzly had just about stopped when I went through. After that the road is in good shape except for a few stretches.
Good deal Russ! 12-13 hours is good time. Enjoy the good weather. Leaving the Sacramento area at about 5am in the morning. Hope this UGLY weather eases up a bit.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 11:48 PM

Keep the reports coming. All of California is really getting hammered. Southern California will be very vulnerable to flooding. So is Baja.

I have friends who are in Bakersfield tonight and they are going to attempt getting through SoCal and start down Baja tomorrow. If it rains in Baja like it is in California it will quickly deteriorate, just like last year. HWY 1 is no place to get stranded. Better to stay put in a motel in San Diego or Ensenada. Book a reservation now, just in case.

I have told my friends to check here for the latest information.

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 05:01 AM

OK, it is 4am and I'm leaving the Placerville/Sac area in a few minutes. Rain is quiet right now, but it poured all night. I will check on conditions between here and O.C. and report in about 8 hours when I arrive. Been stranded in Santa Rosalia once a few years ago. The vados north of town and just south of the prison were unpassable for two days. Fortunately we had a room at the El Morro. If it looks ugly later this week, I may have to wait it out in La Mision before I can haul boat and burro to La Paz.:( Bajabass out!!

[Edited on 12-19-2010 by bajabass]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 06:54 AM

A series of warm Pacific storms will continue to batter Southern California with strong winds, heavy downpours and snowfall Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.
Poor Bass is in for one hell of a trip. Glad to be home and DRY!

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 07:57 AM

raining like crazy in Redding at the moment. BUT that is what it is supposed to do here at this time of year............I will take San Felipe anytime.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 12:45 PM

Left Santa Maria at noon Thursday. Left San Diego Friday at dawn, crossed at San Ysidro...lots of returning Mexicans (Navidad) carrying loads of stuff, being searched. We were waved on. Stayed in Guerrero Negro, left at 5 AM Saturday, arrived in La Paz at 4 PM. No rain, no problems. Road is best I've seen. Lots of new bridges, even over vados. Construction past Ensenada smooth and not bad. Clear here in La Paz, 82 degrees at noon. Certainly beat the rain. Next time we'll get the visa from Vagabundos to avoid the border crunch due to Christmas (getting visa etc.)
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 02:28 PM

Home in one piece! Not a drive I wish to repeat anytime soon! I sure hope this storm stays north, and I have a clear flight path south come Wednesday or Thursday. Yeah Russ, heavy downpours, constant showers, and strong, gusty winds. Enough crashed cars and trucks for a Godzilla movie! :yes:

kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Home in one piece! Not a drive I wish to repeat anytime soon! I sure hope this storm stays north, and I have a clear flight path south come Wednesday or Thursday. Yeah Russ, heavy downpours, constant showers, and strong, gusty winds. Enough crashed cars and trucks for a Godzilla movie! :yes:

So, I've got my Visa from Vagabundos in advance. But I plan on taking my car to the mainland later in January. Do I need to spend much more time at the border in San Ysidro? Or can I get the waive through, and skip the "something to declare"? Crossing about Jan 2 or 3.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 03:40 PM

Make sure your Mexican insurance policy covers the mainland. My company offers 2 zones, Baja and a small section around to Rocky Point, beyond that is an additional fee.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 05:59 AM

Should be an interesting drive today

SAT ~ 12:20:10.jpg - 46kB

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 06:38 AM

Look at all the pretty colors!! :rolleyes: Staying local today, filling a big storage unit. The hills will be sliding up here by the end of the week! Looks like a break coming Thursday, the day I should be leaving for La Paz.:?: Looks like winds from the south are going to keep this mess up north. PLEASE!!!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 08:26 AM

holy crap...that looks NASTY!!! glad we are in lalaland here...for now anyway. Last night there was such a strange south breeze...hope it keeps on doing what it's doing and keeps those clouds up north...drive safely everyone por favor!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 08:27 AM

That is called the Pineapple Express... it comes from Hawaii and brings lots of 'juice' to California!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:44 AM

Monday Morning got an email from my buddy who is heading to Bahia de Los Angeles. He said that it poured all Sunday night at their hotel in Ensenada but they are going to try to get down to BdeLA today. My questions is what about the new bridge in El Rosario? Is it completed? If the paved side road is still in use, the road will probably be closed from the rainwater in the river. Any updates on the rebuilt bridges in Northern Baja?

Thanks
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:56 AM

"But I plan on taking my car to the mainland later in January"
Don't forget to bring all documents for temporary auto registration, required for mainland travel (some areas exempt).

"what about the new bridge in El Rosario? Is it completed?"
No, it's not completed. It is possible that a flow will cross the now paved detour road through the arroyo (just like the old days). But the flow could be diverted somewhat by the piles of sand that were moved around for the new bridge construction, and the southern end is more or less out of the main drainage. It's anyone's guess as to what any flood waters will do now. Go for it - follow the many intrepid Baja residents who know best.
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 02:15 PM

Can anyone give me a recap of the last 24 hours weather at Punta Banda / La Bufadora? Accumulated rainfall total?

Thanks!
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.