BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: The dumbest thing you ever did while fishin?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
The dumbest thing you ever did while fishin?

once i went fishing with republicans that were tea baggers before we called them tea baggers.

[Edited on 3-27-2011 by mtgoat666]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 11:52 AM

Picture a splash well full of small sharks(sharks were very numerous then and a nuisance) and me being snatched off my feet(untied tennis shoes) by a cobia on the other end of a Penn 4/0 High Speed, 120 lb. test dacron line, drag dogged down to "direct drive". I'm prone, partially in the splash well still holding on to the rod with the cobia on the other end. Picture me looking eyeball to eyeball with at least one shark snapping at my ear. See the Penn 4/0 High Speed being released with cobia attached as I make my escape from the shark's chomping jaws. A heck of a waste of good fishing tackle and a good fish.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
my list of dumb things seems really, really long to me....one incident really stands out, tho.....waaaaaay back when, i was guiding steelhead on the cowlitz river in washington to help pay my way through college....so one morning i meet a couple clients at the launch, dump my drift boat in the water and told the dudes to hang on to it while i headed a pretty good distance away to park the rig..it took me quite awhile as there were a ton of fishermen around...by the time i got back to the launch, my boat was sitting really low in the water with all of my gear floating around inside it...you guessed it!...i'd forgotten to put the plug in!...i know i'm not the only guy that has made that mistake but it sure is embarrassing when you've got a couple of paying customers there.

Yes i have done this several times,, UGH
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
my list of dumb things seems really, really long to me....one incident really stands out, tho.....waaaaaay back when, i was guiding steelhead on the cowlitz river in washington to help pay my way through college....so one morning i meet a couple clients at the launch, dump my drift boat in the water and told the dudes to hang on to it while i headed a pretty good distance away to park the rig..it took me quite awhile as there were a ton of fishermen around...by the time i got back to the launch, my boat was sitting really low in the water with all of my gear floating around inside it...you guessed it!...i'd forgotten to put the plug in!...i know i'm not the only guy that has made that mistake but it sure is embarrassing when you've got a couple of paying customers there.
I don't think that there is anyone who has a boat who hasn't forgotten to put the plug in.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 04:08 PM

The first time my wife went out in our boat (first time in any boat for her) I was teaching her how to operate the boat in case anything ever happened to me and she would be on her own. She was sitting in back working the tiller and I was up front enjoying the ride. We stopped for a bit and I noticed her messing with something in the back of the boat. "Something's wrong!! she cried. "What is it sugar"? I asked. She replied "there was some water in the back of the boat and when I pulled the plug to let it out water started coming in instead". I told her that I must have put the plug in backwards the last time I used the boat and she seemed satisfied with the explanation.....I love that girl......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 05:14 PM

:lol::lol::lol: That is just too funny DT
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 06:05 PM

DT, you better pray "sugar" doesn't read this thread.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
The first time my wife went out in our boat (first time in any boat for her) I was teaching her how to operate the boat in case anything ever happened to me and she would be on her own. She was sitting in back working the tiller and I was up front enjoying the ride. We stopped for a bit and I noticed her messing with something in the back of the boat. "Something's wrong!! she cried. "What is it sugar"? I asked. She replied "there was some water in the back of the boat and when I pulled the plug to let it out water started coming in instead". I told her that I must have put the plug in backwards the last time I used the boat and she seemed satisfied with the explanation.....I love that girl......dt

priceless:lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 06:14 PM

after fishing one day, back on the beach my buddy Billy was handed a "shark" sharpening tool and a fillet knife. while we were pulling fish outta the panga a SHRIEK (to put it mildly) erupted from Billy, "Oh FUUK! I"M FUUKED!" and on and on. and on.

seems the little biatch ran that freshly sharpened blade down the back of his finger and before he could feel the pain, the gushing blood buckled his knees....

[Edited on 3-28-2011 by woody with a view]

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 06:24 PM

I was filleting fish with a 4 star general on the kenai river when I was guiding a few yrs back. The general had a brand new knife that he recieved as a gift. It was the finest damn fillet knife I have ever seen. And sharp!!

Mark put the knife on the table, to do something. Which is a no-no, to make matters worse the blade was facing up!! which is a double no-no.

Long story short...I reached over to flip the fish and put my thumb down on that fancy knife, straight to the bone instantly, didn't even feel it for about 5 seconds, until I realized the blood oozing down my arm was not salmon blood, then I felt the sting. a few 4 letter words later...I hitailed it to my room , grabbed my first aid kit which always contains a suture kit and started sewing up my right thumb with my left hand. I am right handed.
The general came running in a few minutes later, as saw what I was doing. he turned heel ran out white as a ghost and about threw up.

He later told me that night that he had never seen anyone do that in all his soldiering days, he also offeredme the knife...but i declined as i never wanted to see the POS again.
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 3-28-2011 at 12:49 PM

We launched our boat in BOLA off the beach in front of the house, with Brett inside. I pulled the truck up and watched as the wind pushed him out to sea.....the guys and myself on the beach did not get why he did not start the engine, just thought he was doing a little maintenance until I saw the boat keys in the door pocket...he had left them behind! One of the guys rushed next door and barrowed a Kayak to take the keys to him. When Hersh arrived at the boat there was Brett fishing and having a beer! We had a good laugh on the Captain that day!
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 09:07 AM

This is a short excerpt from my trip report , some of you fishin junkies might get a kick out it.
Over the years I have used squid for bait both dead and aliveand eaten some as well but these were little guys ,seen some at BOLA that were fair size but nothing like we ran into while drifting one morning,things were a little slow and we were in the channel between Danzante and Carmen, I drop some iron over the side deep, while yoyoing I hook this thing felt strange,get it along side and my god its a sea monster,first its the fountain effect,then the ink attack,Poor Dave grabs the thing and it grabs back!!!!!!!
The people in Loreto I,m sure could hear us first thing you know its in the boat with us and Dave is yelling get this #$%^& off me, now keep in mind the boat is 12 ft long two grown men 5 or 6 fishing poles tackle boxes life jackets and one very stressed out monster squid,its grabbing everything in site,looked like it was trying to eat Dave,s face,I had to laugh,wish I had a tape of the whole thing.

With only a foot or so of freeboard its eye ball to eye ball with that thing,my bud had never seen a squid up close and personal so it was a whole new thing for him,he,s yelling looking for help from me,no thanks but I do tell him to look out for the beak " what beak":lol: we were most lucky to get rid of him without sinking the boat.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 09:15 AM

You have to harpoon them between the eyes...... according to Jules Verne.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
This is a short excerpt from my trip report , some of you fishin junkies might get a kick out it.
Over the years I have used squid for bait both dead and aliveand eaten some as well but these were little guys ,seen some at BOLA that were fair size but nothing like we ran into while drifting one morning,things were a little slow and we were in the channel between Danzante and Carmen, I drop some iron over the side deep, while yoyoing I hook this thing felt strange,get it along side and my god its a sea monster,first its the fountain effect,then the ink attack,Poor Dave grabs the thing and it grabs back!!!!!!!
The people in Loreto I,m sure could hear us first thing you know its in the boat with us and Dave is yelling get this #$%^& off me, now keep in mind the boat is 12 ft long two grown men 5 or 6 fishing poles tackle boxes life jackets and one very stressed out monster squid,its grabbing everything in site,looked like it was trying to eat Dave,s face,I had to laugh,wish I had a tape of the whole thing.

With only a foot or so of freeboard its eye ball to eye ball with that thing,my bud had never seen a squid up close and personal so it was a whole new thing for him,he,s yelling looking for help from me,no thanks but I do tell him to look out for the beak " what beak":lol: we were most lucky to get rid of him without sinking the boat.
Rob

cut them in 2 where the tenacles meet the body using a sharp fillet knife...it takes the fight out of them.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 09:45 AM

Thank Frank for this great vid and musica about squid and such.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6AibIeMg3g

bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 10:09 AM

Not baja but.....I took my 7 year old nephew fishing up to Cuyamaca lake and I set up to try to fish for Crappie....I gave him some pointers and told what type of fish he would be fishing for....sure enough a few minutes later up comes the first one. My wife comes over asked him what kind of fish it was. He immediately response...my uncle says its a chit-er fish! :tumble:

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

mad.gif posted on 3-29-2011 at 05:31 PM

...after fishing, the next day I went out and bought a boat.:O:lol:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 10:47 AM

I was in my panga with two of my fishing buddies about 400 meters offshore just south of Frailes. I ran over some netting that was submerged, it fouled the prop and I had to go over the side to cut it off. As I cut the last little part free I saw a sea scorpion clinging to the stern. I couldn't believe my eyes because there hasn't been one seen in this part of the SOC in more than 50 years. It was not a big one, about 30 inches long and it was having a hard time holding on to the hull. Without thinking I reached up to grab it right behind the head and in a flash the stinger came down on the back of my hand and nailed me good. Later the guys said my eyes rolled back in their sockets and I said something unintelligible, almost lost my grip on the motor. They both grabbed me by the arms and literally drug me up and over the transom somehow, got the motor started, put ice on the hand and raced like hell for La Ribera.

Harold found the radio and got some Los Barriles fisherman to call his wife on his cell, she called doctor Ruffino and he got the ambulance moving. Harold and Andy said he was waiting for us on the beach with the ambulance when we hit the sand.

There's no known antivenom for sea scorpions. I was out of it for almost 40 hours but when I came out of it I still had about 60% use of my left arm and hand. I consider that (and it has now improved to almost 75%) a gift as most encounters end in death or the loss of limbs -- the venom is much like the complex protein compounds found in the Fer de Lance snake.

Since then I've learned a little about the sea bugs. They are not even close to their ancient look-a-likes with the giant claws and no stinger. Scientists think they live at great depths like some squid and other weird and dangerous creatures of a world we can take peeks in.

[Edited on 4-1-2011 by Osprey]
Arturo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 11:20 AM

Ok , thats a easy one.
Decided to captin our own boat in Baja, Without any Sea Of Cortez experience, Without any Captin experience to boot. Things got bad really quick. "Thanks to everyone in the Santa Rosalia / San Bruno area as they all pulled together to bail us out"
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 11:44 AM

Intentionally swimming with white tip ocean sharks while fishing off Christmas Island south of the Hawaiian Islands. I didn't get bit but it did scar my memories.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.