Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza's
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 04:35 PM

First time I went, I thought "I wonder what all the hype is about; not very good, but maybe I just ordered the wrong thing" (crab enchiladas). Second time, I tried shrimp tacos. Same bland food, and the margarita tasted like it was made with cheap margarita mix. Last time was the final chance, and once again the food was terrible, with American music playing and a bored server. It all felt like a bad Mexican restaurant in Orange County way past its prime. Too bad since it probably was a good combination with Baja Cactus right next door. Never again; my trips down there are too short to eat mediocre expensive food given all the other great options.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
First time I went, I thought "I wonder what all the hype is about; not very good, but maybe I just ordered the wrong thing" (crab enchiladas). Second time, I tried shrimp tacos. Same bland food, and the margarita tasted like it was made with cheap margarita mix. Last time was the final chance, and once again the food was terrible, with American music playing and a bored server. It all felt like a bad Mexican restaurant in Orange County way past its prime. Too bad since it probably was a good combination with Baja Cactus right next door. Never again; my trips down there are too short to eat mediocre expensive food given all the other great options.

i suppose tradition, nostalgia, history, etc., brings people back to the restaurant,, brings in new customers,...
i also think that restaurateurs with little competition and no loan payment often get lazy...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Which one..... (I just couldn't resist
)

I know what I am Ralph, but just what are you?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bigmike
Nomad

Mood: Loving Life

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 05:54 PM

Jesse,

We ate twice at your place two weeks ago and your food is fantastic,
absolutely no comparison between the two places, I will come to your place any time I am in La Paz!! Thanks for two fantastic meals.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 06:10 PM

I always wondered what the hype was all about. Eate there quite a few times, but never really impressed.
Problem is, what's the alternative in that town?

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 08:20 PM

I enjoyed the breakfast at the restaurant in front of the Sinahi Hotel/RV park. I would definitely try it again.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 09:39 PM

Weird, I've ate there like 100 times over the last 10-15 years and I have never had a bad meal. I had to stay there for 3 days this past winter due to bad weather, and ate there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each was great! I stick to the fish taco's and huevos ranchero's though... ???

Of course, I am not a picky eater, and rarely do I dislike a meal. :)

[Edited on 4-20-2011 by BooJumMan]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
Jesse,

We ate twice at your place two weeks ago and your food is fantastic,
absolutely no comparison between the two places, I will come to your place any time I am in La Paz!! Thanks for two fantastic meals.

I made a quick stop there a few weeks ago. Food was served quick and wasnt bad. Then again, i was the only person there.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
I always wondered what the hype was all about. Eate there quite a few times, but never really impressed.
Problem is, what's the alternative in that town?

Several small restaurants and many taco stands... sometimes change their name or close/ open on next visit.

Mama's is fine for breakfast and next door to Baja Cactus, a plus.

#27 on map (Primo's) La Bocana Beach Restaurant renamed the Sinahi Restaurant (in front of the Sinahi Motel and RV Park) used to do a nice breakfast and served great melon (cantelope) juice for breakfast (order a pitcher). Last time, no Primo around and order error, novice waitress... not good (but we understand things change). In 2005, they had great shrimp dinners... as Bob H will tell you!

#38 Always good, far end of town and across for the nice Turista Motel is Ed & Yolanda's 'Baja's Best Restaurant. Breakfast or dinner... They have a nice bed & breakfast there.

#32 For dinner (or lunch): Tacos La Mision run by El Rosario's artist Hugo Lopez... his art on display at the small taco restaurant that serves awesome STUFFED BAKED POTATOES.

With so many changes just keep an open mind and keep reporting good and bad restaurant experiences...

Here's a map I made a few years ago pointing the eating places out in El Rosario:

[Edited on 4-20-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 09:59 PM

Generally, any restaurant is horrific compared to home cooked meals. At Mama's I always sit at the table looking in the kitchen. My expectations are always low out at any place.

I have been very happily surprised by Mama's in each recent passing, actually I was really really happy, I might have married the cook on the spot! But we order off the menu. Must have been the air.
burnrope
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 08:43 AM

David K,
Can you elaborate on why you haven't eaten at Mama Espinosa's for 7 years? I respect your info on Baja and I've had good to mediorce meals there. Thanks.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 08:55 AM

I do so love the atmosphere and I really hope they whip their food into shape as I always recommend this restaurant due to the history .... Mama is a living legend ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by burnrope
David K,
Can you elaborate on why you haven't eaten at Mama Espinosa's for 7 years? I respect your info on Baja and I've had good to mediorce meals there. Thanks.

Where did you get that idea?

Did you read my first reply to this thread?:

"I hope David (ELINVESTI8R) gets the message to them... It is both historic and convenient (next door to Baja Cactus). Of course, we have had breakfast there more than dinner, and that has always been good."

Look at my trip reports and web site trip pages for photos of our meals at Mama Espinoza's...

I had lobster for Thanksgiving there in 2004... that was alomst 7 years ago... but have eaten there many times since... mostly for breakfast.

cjesme
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 09:18 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Mama last month. A group of us went to her house. Mama was so happy. She had tears in her eyes and said" I feel like a wilted flower that has just been watered". She gets lonely and loves visitors! At 103 she looks GREAT! I was very impressed with her. I hope her family can keep up with her goodness and kindness.

Carlita and Esteban
burnrope
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 09:30 AM

David K,
I apologize for misreading your post. A buddy of mine and I had dinner there one night, spent the night in the hotel they have there(pre-knowledge of the Baja Catus). I had lobster burrito's for breakfast, same as the night before. I could only eat one, after crossing the border, I put the remaining two burrito's, wrapped in foil, in my engine comparment. I stopped in Ventura for a great lunch on my way to Nor Cal.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burnrope
David K,
I apologize for misreading your post. A buddy of mine and I had dinner there one night, spent the night in the hotel they have there(pre-knowledge of the Baja Catus). I had lobster burrito's for breakfast, same as the night before. I could only eat one, after crossing the border, I put the remaining two burrito's, wrapped in foil, in my engine comparment. I stopped in Ventura for a great lunch on my way to Nor Cal.

No worries my friend! The 'V-8' Lobster sounds great!:light:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 10:38 PM

It seems there have been a lot more negative comments about the food at Mama's over the last couple of years. I ate there once, about 12 years ago, and it was just ok. Nothing to brag about.

There are just soooo many other great places to eat that beat that place, if you ask me.

I loved having lunch at the school bus place in El Rosario any day.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 07:25 AM

I tried the place a few times, for the nostalgia kick. and also because I couldn't believe such a 'venerable' institution per so many couldn't serve such bad food. I was wrong. never again. any basic taco stand is better...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 08:16 AM

Maybe someone should do them the favor of telling them :light: That would give them a chance to improve and be more successful. It is after all Mama Espinoza's place and she is so loved, it's a shame that the restaurant is no longer held in high regard by so many. I think also nowadays people expect more than they did years ago, I do anyway. One reason is cost, it's not cheap to eat there or many other places. When you can get an excellent taco at stand for so cheap it's hard to justify paying WAY more for mediocrity.

Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjesme
I had the pleasure of meeting Mama last month. A group of us went to her house. Mama was so happy. She had tears in her eyes and said" I feel like a wilted flower that has just been watered". She gets lonely and loves visitors! At 103 she looks GREAT! I was very impressed with her. I hope her family can keep up with her goodness and kindness.

That's very cool. I wasn't sure if she was still around. Met her several times along the way. Years ago she signed Jimmy Smith's book for me (after he had). He was the sixth entry in her Guest Book of 1953.

We didn't eat there this time but I did have one and all sign the book.

There's Scandanavian in her family (I forget the last name), but one of the cousins was a good bud of mine up here in Central California. Had some really great old bikes himself.

Barbarosa
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.