Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Crazy gringo in Catavina
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
man...someone should do a movie about Gotta Peso!!! I dont think the locals have to feed him...he makes pretty good coin in a day there...he probably talks to over 50 cars a day...if everybody gives him 10 pesos...hell that's way more than I make!

maybe a Nomad contest is in order...a prize for who can make the best video clip of him!

[Edited on 7-7-2011 by shari]

I don't think his success ratio is very high, I've watched him and most people just ignore him or send him away. He appears to me to just be a deluded, lost soul and if my few pesos help keep him going for another day that is fine with me. I find the idea of making videos of a disturbed guy for our amusement a little distasteful but thats just me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:33 AM

Never met the guy... and we were in Cataviņa buying gas on Sunday.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 10:50 AM

perhaps you are right Kurt, I apologize...he is just such a character and has sooooo many different tales and offers to tell them to everyone...I would love to hear some of them but we only visit relatives in Catavinia and usually dont stop at the store there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
perhaps you are right Kurt, I apologize...he is just such a character and has sooooo many different tales and offers to tell them to everyone...I would love to hear some of them but we only visit relatives in Catavinia and usually dont stop at the store there.

Well...you could invite him over to your place for the summer.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:53 PM

what a capital idea Dennis:light:
nahhhh....i wouldnt want to deprive Catavinia of one of it's star attractions plus we dont get much traffic here....plus he would be competition for all the queens, clubs, and CREAD folks who hold out their cups at the stop signs.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 02:48 PM

Quote:

Nothing to apologize for, I know you to be a very good hearted person. I don't think he is making up these tales to get handouts but rather lives in "GottaPesoLandia" where all these tales are true.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 03:03 PM

Ran into him again on a trip down in March. He lives a pretty Spartan existence, sleeping in old junk cars down the road from the store, and panhandling. His clothes are filthy and he obviously could use a Dentist and some medical work, but he seems to be satisfied with his lifestyle. He seems to have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the past entertainment business, which he obviously uses to conjure up some of the tales he comes up with. If you have listened to him you will have to conclude he has a pretty inventive mind. It would be interesting to know what his actual story is.
I always give him a 200 peso note, well worth the entertainment.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:07 PM

How 'bout some clothes for him, a toothbrush, some personal items? He's not likely to buy some for himself. Nothin' fancy, just a few things, maybe an old suitcase for storage. All given casually, in an off-hand manner in passing. Catavina's hot in summer and cold in winter.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:11 PM

The chile rellenos are great at the little stand where Gottapeso hangs out.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:18 PM

No offense to that relative handful of Catavinians, but it just seems to me that the very fact that this guy selected a location that is at the same time, off the grid, remote, and has hellish climate extremes, just seems to me to prove he's quite daffy.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:35 PM

Crazy place just to hang out? Somewhat boring to be homeless and Hot asshell and cold lol! Ive never seen him so weird~ill look for him next time i go by~ See what he says to me cannt wait! Boy in Tarzan lol!

READY SET.....................
RichBaja
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:46 PM

While venturing in Baja I ran into a very strange bird. I was at a "secret" surf spot taking photos. He waddled up to me and started ranting and raving that this was his "secret" area and his "secret" waves. He smelled terrible and was in awful shape. I gave him a quick love tap with the stun gun and we were on our way. I remember hearing him yell "don't you know who I am? I am woody and this is my area"! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 05:03 PM
Gottapeso

January '10

IMG_0502.JPG - 36kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 05:12 PM

Let me take you down
'cause I'm going to
Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real.
And nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

Too much Strawberry Fields is my opinion.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBaja
While venturing in Baja I ran into a very strange bird. I was at a "secret" surf spot taking photos. He waddled up to me and started ranting and raving that this was his "secret" area and his "secret" waves. He smelled terrible and was in awful shape. I gave him a quick love tap with the stun gun and we were on our way. I remember hearing him yell "don't you know who I am? I am woody and this is my area"! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did you have a GPS in your hand? That would have really set him off! LOL What will happen when the revised 'Surfer's Guide to Baja' is published?!!! :lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:16 PM

see, and here i am trying to pretend like i give a chiit..... i'll be heading south in the morning, returning monday late so if you wanna try your luck you know where to look.

otherwise, eat me.....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:26 PM

Have fun Woody!

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:28 PM

My brother and I ran into Peso (as the store clerk later informed us) on a trip last January. We sat outside and enjoyed a drink. He came up and started chatting with us and we offered him a soda and some chips. Ended up talking with him for about 30 minutes and he was great. Told us he loves the area and has been there for 10 years. Also, he plans to buy Catavina soon!
Ted

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 07:15 AM

What if all the stories are true )))
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
What if all the stories are true )))

They are.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.