Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: So that Ken Cooke knows we Toyota drivers care about him:
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 07:27 PM

I thought the jeeps just had poor brakes and could not stop behind the other vehicles

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Driving over other cars is a 'Jeep Thing' :lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
I thought the jeeps just had poor brakes and could not stop behind the other vehicles

Quote:
Driving over other cars is a 'Jeep Thing' :lol:

My '03 came standard with front/rear discs. No problem stopping here.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Nice recovery David!

Thanks Curt!

A group of Jeepers was watching... one said to be before I pulled that truck... "You going to pull him with your truck???" as if that would be impossible... :lol:

It was a 'piece of cake'... Another one of the Jeep guys came over after I pulled the truck to the top and wanted to check out my Tacoma and hear about A-TRAC. I think I sold another Tacoma that day!

[Edited on 10-25-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 05:17 PM
WHY did he do it?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Nice recovery David!

Thanks Curt!

A group of Jeepers was watching... one said to be before I pulled that truck... "You going to pull him with your truck???" as if that would be impossible... :lol:

It was a 'piece of cake'... Another one of the Jeep guys came over after I pulled the truck to the top and wanted to check out my Tacoma and hear about A-TRAC. I think I sold another Tacoma that day!

David - Why did the pickup driver request you pull him up the hill? You never answered my question.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2011 at 10:31 PM

Umm... (again), he (with a 2WD & no locker) couldn't get any further up the Diablo Dropoff that that point, plus as he backed up to try another run, he went right into a sand pile. So, he was stuck there... The video shows me pulling him out of the sand, then up the cliff to the top.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 10:54 AM

David----------other than the fact that you and your compadres are going the wrong way on a one-way road :rolleyes: (Diablo crossover between Arroyo Seco de Diablo & Fish Creek), that is an incredible feat you pulled off there. That is a very steep gravelly dropoff, which is not clear in the video. That certainly shows the strengths of the A-Trac "system" in your Toyota.

Meredith and I have gone "down" that 'dropoff' maybe 12 times over the years and each time we are somewhat dismayed at how chewed up it is getting, almost to the point that a normal 4x4 will have problems (I bashed my rocker panel badly on my Isuzu Trooper a few years ago) and most of the trail damage appears to be happening by abuse from people driving the wrong way and spinning their tires. The Park Service has threatened to close that road for years, and if this abuse continues I believe they will actually do it----------we will see. It IS a vital link between the two drainages, and saves dozens of miles when 'crossing over' between them.

My Dad & his brother looked for a feasible route between those two drainages back in 1934, '35, and '36, but was never able to find one. I don't really know who actually & eventually pioneered that route thru, but it sure has been a boon to travellers over the many years.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 04:05 PM
Small Toyota Syndrome

Quote:
Toyotas can not only pull broken Jeeps, but also other Toyotas... in this case, a 2WD Tacoma that got almost all the way up the Diablo Drop Off at Anza Borrego...

That is my Tacoma using A-TRAC and the rear locker (standard equip. on the Off Road 4WD Tacomas) pulling the 2WD double cab Taco out of the sand and up the dropoff...

How about Jeeps pulling Toyotas? And, Jeeps pulling Jeeps? And, Jeeps pulling Dodge Rams? And, Jeeps pulling Honda Elements? And, Jeeps winching Toyotas and Jeeps? I have done it, but I never brag about it.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
David----------other than the fact that you and your compadres are going the wrong way on a one-way road :rolleyes: (Diablo crossover between Arroyo Seco de Diablo & Fish Creek), that is an incredible feat you pulled off there. That is a very steep gravelly dropoff, which is not clear in the video. That certainly shows the strengths of the A-Trac "system" in your Toyota.

Meredith and I have gone "down" that 'dropoff' maybe 12 times over the years and each time we are somewhat dismayed at how chewed up it is getting, almost to the point that a normal 4x4 will have problems (I bashed my rocker panel badly on my Isuzu Trooper a few years ago) and most of the trail damage appears to be happening by abuse from people driving the wrong way and spinning their tires. The Park Service has threatened to close that road for years, and if this abuse continues I believe they will actually do it----------we will see. It IS a vital link between the two drainages, and saves dozens of miles when 'crossing over' between them.

My Dad & his brother looked for a feasible route between those two drainages back in 1934, '35, and '36, but was never able to find one. I don't really know who actually & eventually pioneered that route thru, but it sure has been a boon to travellers over the many years.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Both this time and a previous trip last year (where we did the Dropoff downhill), there where people (Jeeps) going up hill. The old maps did say one way, but the newer ones have removed that. Also, there is no signage indicating one way... In fact, last year there was a big sign at the entrance to Broken Shaft Gulch facing drivers heading up...

I drove through this last year and no damage or problems... same thing 2 weeks ago, the other direction... even the 2WD Tacos had no problem here.

Going down is too easy, going up in 4WD was also easy, but a bit more to it... In 2WD is more of an effort (in a Tacoma).

The one way road that leads from S-2 to Split Mtn., via Hahapa Flat/ Split Rock/ Pinion Mtn. Rd/ The Squeeze, is still shown one way on the current map... I have NOT been on it. I have been to Split Roack via Fish Creek, however.

Love Anza Borrego... great place!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Toyotas can not only pull broken Jeeps, but also other Toyotas... in this case, a 2WD Tacoma that got almost all the way up the Diablo Drop Off at Anza Borrego...

That is my Tacoma using A-TRAC and the rear locker (standard equip. on the Off Road 4WD Tacomas) pulling the 2WD double cab Taco out of the sand and up the dropoff...

How about Jeeps pulling Toyotas? And, Jeeps pulling Jeeps? And, Jeeps pulling Dodge Rams? And, Jeeps pulling Honda Elements? And, Jeeps winching Toyotas and Jeeps? I have done it, but I never brag about it.

Hey, I was showing a Tacoma pulling a Tacoma... nothing negative towards Jeeps. Again, I remind you that I used to own a Jeep and that is why I am so cautious and concerned about others with Jeeps. They are the worlds first SUV, and the all the great history... dating back to 1940... But those vehicles made by Bantam, Willys-Overland and Ford are a far cry from the stuff made by AMC and Chrysler today.

I love Jeeps, I just wouldn't own one for Baja travel... I need reliability... a vehicle that I can go hard four wheeling in, then take it to work the next day... without needing to fix things that break while four wheeling.

I do look for the Gladiator (new Jeep pickup) to come out and see how it does!:light:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 06:05 PM

Oooops!!! David, that is good to hear. I was not aware that 'those people' had removed the "one way" designation. Please forgive me for my snide and incorrect comment----------

Yes, Anza-Borrego is a wonderful place. Thanks for straightening me out. That "other" road, that is still one-way, is a killer-----been to both the top of the "slide", and the bottom of the "slide" (or close to it) but never tried the actual "slide", nor tried to get thru "the squeeze". I do remember many years ago that the "squeeze" was not that difficult-----it has washed out considerably since then, tho.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 07:26 PM

Barry - It is seldom that I drive past a vehicle that is in trouble/stranded. But, on my way to work last month, I did observe an XTerra that was stuck in loose dirt with 4 people and 2 pickups nearby watching its front tires spin in the loose dirt.

I drove right past him - on my way to work. I didn't want to be late, but had this been after work, I would have stopped and given him a tow. He was literally 10-20 yards from asphalt. So, it was likely that someone had a tow strap. I always carry all of my recovery gear, because you never know when you will really need it.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 08:54 PM

:o::o:o:lol::lol::lol:------the X-terra you saw-------- it must not have been an OFF-ROAD model, like mine. Or, possibly it was being driven by a flatlander that did not have a clue how to use the incredible equipment he was in. Hard to say-------------

---but thanks for thinking of him as you drove on to work........:lol:

barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2011 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
:o::o:o:lol::lol::lol:------the X-terra you saw-------- it must not have been an OFF-ROAD model, like mine. Or, possibly it was being driven by a flatlander that did not have a clue how to use the incredible equipment he was in. Hard to say-------------

---but thanks for thinking of him as you drove on to work........:lol:

barry

The driver had his door open, front tires churning dirt, and XTerra stationary AND high-centered. I was amazed. But, when driving to work, I won't let anything slow me down. For that reason, I didn't stop to educate the gentleman on how to properly drive a 4WD vehicle.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 07:12 AM

That is a pretty bad ass you tube video.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
That is a pretty bad burro you tube video.

The Tacoma is a pretty bad burro truck!:yes:

This photo was just posted by a Tacoma owner in Utah... It isn't even an Off Road Tacoma (it's a Sport so no locker or A-TRAC)... and no, the photo is not doctored. He got back into the truck through the sliding rear window! I know Ken likes these kinds of photos, so when I saw it, I thought he would be impressed...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 04:37 PM

Quote:

What would it cost this driver to bring his truck up to a TRD-level with A-TRAC and a locking rear differential? Would it be worth it, or are these casual 4WD dirt road drivers? It sure looks like he is having fun with his truck and might enjoy more capabilities. Do the 2WD Tacoma drivers plan on adding transfer cases and front drivetrains to their vehicles?

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 05:03 PM

guess you don't need TRD
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 05:12 PM

The truck in the photo is a TRD... but a Sport TRD... it has no special traction aid other than the TRAC system that all Toyotas now have (electric/ brake limited slip in 2WD and 4WD high). The Sport TRD is a 'looks' package... hood scoop, color matched mirrors and bumpers... Bilstein shocks however.

The only way to get the factory locker and A-TRAC is getting a 4WD Off Road TRD 2009 or newer Tacoma, or other years in the FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, etc.

As for adding... anyone can add a locker (ARB is popular)... but looking at nearly $2,000 per axle unless you can do the work. The A-TRAC cannot be added.. it is intregal to the Off Road TRD, and even has a hydraulic brake booster over the vacuum booster of all other Tacomas.

The 2WD Tacos probably don't think they need 4WD or could afford it... Maybe later in life? With a locker and good tires the 2WDs do pretty good.

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 11:58 AM

Awesome pulling David. Were your tires aired down?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Awesome pulling David. Were your tires aired down?

Thank you Art.

Nope... at 38 psi, my normal street pressure for these tires (32" Hankook Dynapro ATM, 44 psi max tires). If traction or ride quality was an issue, I would lower... I had my rápido air pump with me!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.