Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: A Baja Cactus Experience
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 06:02 PM

Do you have a hat and patch . You might as well have.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73

From what I've been told, these people live off of the "propina" that is given to them. They have no salary.

I don't know about ALL of the Pemex stations in Baja..but I do know a few along my normal routes..and they are all paid employees.

"Having said that".....:rolleyes:...

Tips are always appreciated.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 11:16 PM

I found this under Mexico Labor Laws. I will have the wife fully translate it for me in the a.m. but from what I gather, many Pemex employees not only do not have a salary, but they have to pay to work at the gas station. While I was living SOB my wife would always give the guy 2-3 dollars or more when we fueled. She explained to me that alot of these fellas live off of their "propinas".

Del total de empleados, 9 mil no perciben salario de ningún tipo y tienen que sobrevivir con propinas. Es decir, 90 por ciento de los mismos se mantiene de lo que les dan los automovilistas.

Estos trabajadores no ejercen ningún derecho, y "la actuación de la Junta de Conciliación y Arbitraje es decepcionante", señala el sindicato.

El Stracc indicó que para ocultar que no se paga salario a los trabajadores, las empresas los obligan a firmar papeles en blanco, los cuales luego son maquillados y presentados como recibos de salario y prestaciones ante autoridades laborales.

"Lo verdaderamente absurdo es que los trabajadores tengan que pagar por trabajar, porque para laborar cada uno de ellos tiene la obligación de cubrir una cantidad que oscila entre 30 y cien pesos diarios, de lo contrario se les niega el derecho a laborar; a esta cuota se le denomina derecho de piso y el monto de lo recabado puede caer en manos de la gerencia o, incluso, del mismo patrón."

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
I found this under Mexico Labor Laws. I will have the wife fully translate it for me in the a.m. but from what I gather, many Pemex employees not only do not have a salary, but they have to pay to work at the gas station. While I was living SOB my wife would always give the guy 2-3 dollars or more when we fueled. She explained to me that alot of these fellas live off of their "propinas".

Del total de empleados, 9 mil no perciben salario de ningún tipo y tienen que sobrevivir con propinas. Es decir, 90 por ciento de los mismos se mantiene de lo que les dan los automovilistas.

Estos trabajadores no ejercen ningún derecho, y "la actuación de la Junta de Conciliación y Arbitraje es decepcionante", señala el sindicato.

El Stracc indicó que para ocultar que no se paga salario a los trabajadores, las empresas los obligan a firmar papeles en blanco, los cuales luego son maquillados y presentados como recibos de salario y prestaciones ante autoridades laborales.

"Lo verdaderamente absurdo es que los trabajadores tengan que pagar por trabajar, porque para laborar cada uno de ellos tiene la obligación de cubrir una cantidad que oscila entre 30 y cien pesos diarios, de lo contrario se les niega el derecho a laborar; a esta cuota se le denomina derecho de piso y el monto de lo recabado puede caer en manos de la gerencia o, incluso, del mismo patrón."

'

sanquintinsince73, it's like I said in my almost 40 years of traveling my part of the Baja Road from Tecate to Mulege...

..most Pemex attendants are paid employees of the various Pemex franchisers. I don't know of any who work for anything less than the minumun wage paid for such a job......BUT... I WILL ASK ON THIS UPCOMING TRIP and report back here.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 08:12 AM

The one place that is/ was true 'sanquintinsince73', is grocery stores (bag boys). At Baja Cactus (if not all Pemex stations), if the attendees are wearing a Pemex uniform, they are paid employees.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 10:09 AM

Still waiting for Howodd on the date this happened.

Remember Baja Cactus Pemex and Motel have security cameras... Antonio can see when you got gas and who did un-authorized activity.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Do you have a hat and patch . You might as well have.

Even if he didn't I'd still let him wash my windows.

I'd give him a nice propina, too.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 12:11 PM

I am a good widow washer Dave! :light::lol:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 12:40 PM

I ask you....would YOU tip this window washer guy?...if so, how much?

p.s. The other day I was driving to the pet store to buy a penquin and thought it seemed a little brisk, then glanced at the outside temp....Brrrr....18 degrees!

Yup.....It's SOoo cold up here that....

.....Yesterday I had to chisel my dog off a lamp-post. :O

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 12:48 PM
Window washer guy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I ask you....would YOU tip this window washer guy?

WHAT window washer guy?

All I see is an ice scraper, green coffee cup and a moustache.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 02:43 PM

Dave....I just noticed something we have in common..and it's quite unique.
We have

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 02:46 PM

the exact same number of posts...weird. :wow:

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 03:03 PM

Ahhh, but Pomp you've reached the mark in less time.

Allen R.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If the attendees have Pemex uniforms and Baja Cactus patches on their hats, they are paid... and Antonio pays a higher wage than the law dictates or typical in El Rosario.

It was on October 23. And I didn't mention that the "attendant" did not offer to clean my bug covered windshield.

As far as the uniforms are concerned, (and yes, the guy with the mop was wearing a Pemex uniform), As I posted on another thread about hotel maids in Los Cabos, it just may be that these pump jockeys are working on 28 day contracts, and are not, as such counted as employees. However, as for another comment here, the Mexican government has a prescribed minimum wage rule, depending upon the job. I cannot fathom that anyone would be working only for tips, especially when wearing a Pemex uniform.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Thus, I responded to him, "No papel; no propina".

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
And don't you think it just a tad cheeky to pick up the tip cup and shove it in my face?

i find it a bit disconcerting that wealthy, successful people (relative to el rosario standards) are commenting on the behavior of the very lowest servant, the bathroom attendant. this is normally a job given to the disadvantaged, and your snippy comments about bathroom attendant asking you for a couple pesos is displaying a shocking lack of empathy. the guy is probably dirt poor, living in poverty,... can't you find find someone else to complain about? crikey! get some humanity, dude

Please note my previous post. This guy was not a bathroom attendant. When he saw me heading the the john, he ran over to grab a mop.

I always tip Pemex attendants, and often quite generously, when they clean the windows. Most are very pleasant, and enhance the Baja experience. But some guy running to beat me to the john with a mop is over the top to me, especially when the bathroom had no toilet paper or towels.

Same with the guy who felt it was more important to try and sell me gas additive than to offer to clean my dirty windshield.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 04:32 PM

I can't remember the last time that anyone wanted to wash my window at the Cactus. Maybe its just the diesel pumps.

Everywhere else its seems to be common place.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 04:41 PM

Those PEMEX "window washers" drive me a little nuts------I tip them to NOT wash my windows, as they often scratch the heck out of them with their dirty cleaning equipment.

As for the attendent trying to "sell you an additive"----that does my heart good----Capitalism in action-----their learning. :yes:

And as far as the bano was concerned-----the attendent hustling over to mop it, and all, -----wow, I am impressed that he took that much interest making sure it was clean, and just for you. :smug:

Isn't it funny how we all react differently to situations. :lol:

Barry
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 06:01 PM

Barry

Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought a while back you said you 't don't/can't go to Baja any more.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Barry

Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought a while back you said you 't don't/can't go to Baja any more.

That's correct, norte, I have not been in Baja for about 5 years. Does that make me inelgible to comment on my 50+ years of experience in Mexico, and Baja in particular??? I am sorry if I am mis-leading anybody, tho.

Barry
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 06:57 PM

How much is diesel selling for?
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.