Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Part 1: San Diego - Bay of Conception Trip & Road Report
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 07:56 PM

Hwy 3 from Sordo Mudo Park - Ensenada - Santo Tomas Road construction ..and BEYOND!

There was a great hot dog stand at this ‘Y’ on Hwy 3 just north of Ensenada for many years…but haven’t seen it for some time, now. Reminds me of the loss of Carmelita and her tamales. The attrition rate is high on the Baja Road.

For those of you in need of Mexican Migracion…here it is. If you are southbound…Watch for this sign and take a right.

I always look forward to auto-electric repairs to trailer taillights every 4 months…which is the life-span of boat-trailer lights in Baja. The good thing is…you can get them repaired them so cheaply it leaves you smiling and smugly happy.

Today I stopped at this shop above…. south of Ensenada before the Blowhole turnoff … replaced a round plug with a blade (much better), got all new bulbs, three missing lenses, a roof lite on the MH, and a good wiring job…all for 150 pesos by my new amigo, Luis. I love it. If these new ones don’t destruct in 4 months, I’m hitting ‘em with a hammer. Who can resist such a good deal?

The last few days of rain and mud made a mess of my large windshield…especially the sections where the wipers and Pompano can’t reach. Well, okay…so I like to donate to these guys, they need the work! At this Pemex two window-washers tackled the motorhome windshield inside and outside…PLUS all 8 coach windows, headlights, parking lights, etc. A good job …well worth 50 pesos, two cookies and two cokes.

Road Hazard

Some miles south of Ensenada..the pavement is still great, but this edifice (inspection station to-be) is accident prone at this writing. I have been thru it a few times by now, so it’s not a surprise to me anymore. But…the posts all have damage marks..from semis and large RV’s….there is JUST enough room to squeeze through the first few lanes. Can be a little nerve-racking at 50mph as it comes up on you without much warning….now anyway. Slow way down, folks…or you might just leave a mirror…or worse…. behind.

Ah…see these below: Some road construction photos of that area north of Santo Tomas.

These construction sections are at their worst during and after a good rain, but it was not that bad for me. I have been thru far worse in this long rig. Go slow and you will have no problems at all…with any size rig.

We reach Santo Tomas as seen in the pictures below. Long a favorite spot to pull off into the tall trees, enjoy their cool shade, and have a lunch break.

I remember my wife and I spending the night in those trees in my El Camino in 1975….and I still can hear the old trucks with the cowcatcher grills thundering by with no mufflers. :rolleyes: Well, I won’t be doing THAT again anytime soon…

A good bar and curio shop here. Old time place full of memories...

There is a RV park here...The Palomar...never tried it, but looks like a pretty steep grade to haul my fifth wheel & boat up and down. Pickup campers and smaller motorhomes would be okay. Maybe someday?

The park has a GREAT watchdog.

"Hey! woof-woof, Is somebody there? Helloooo...Yoo Hoooo?? Shoot, musta been another cloud shadow."

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.