BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Grasshopper Tacos. Anyone ???
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 08:54 PM

hmmmm.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 01:36 AM

Taste like chicken.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 05:58 AM

We grew up in western ND with locusts and grasshoppers. Always Treats. Thier potential as a food source is real...although maybe considered 'exoctic' to some.

When Randy and I were in the Peace Corps...called the Kennedy Corps for a short time when we joined up...we spent a year in Bander Shah, Iran and ate a lot of insects.

When I owned a fast Vulcan motorcycle I ate a lot of insects.

How to cook your grasshopper:

a few quick recipes...

From Orkin

Dry Roasted Grasshoppers
Spread fresh, frozen and cleaned insects on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Bake at 200° for 1-2 hours until desired state
of dryness is reached. Check state of dryness by attempting to crush insect with spoon.

Garlic Butter Fried Grasshoppers
1/4 cup butter
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup cleaned insects*

Melt butter in fry pan. Reduce heat. Sauté garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add insects. Continue sautéing for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Grasshopper Fritters
from 'Ronald Taylor's "Butterflies in My Stomach"

3/4 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c grasshoppers
1 pt. heavy cream beaten stiff

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl. Slowly add milk and beat until smooth. Add egg and beat well.
Pluck off grasshopper wings and legs, heads optional. Dip insects in egg batter and deep fry. Salt and serve.

from Dr. Frog's Recipe Page

Parcht Locusts
This dish was discovered by William Dampier in 1687, while visiting the Bashee Islands (located between the Philippines and Taiwan). He described it in A New Voyage Round the World:

They had another Dish made of a sort of Locusts, whose Bodies were about an Inch and an half long, and as thick as the
top of one's little Finger; with large thin Wings, and long and small Legs. ...

The Natives would go out with small Nets, and take a Quart at one sweep. When they had enough, they would carry them home, and parch them over the Fire in an earthen Pan; and then their Wings and Legs would fall off, and their Heads and Backs would turn red like boil'd Shrimps, being before brownish. Their Bodies being full, would eat very moist, their Heads would crackle in one's Teeth.

Randy and I ate something like this recipe once....very good and crunchy...wish we could have had a cold brew to go with them.

Popcorn Crunch
Here's an easy treat to prepare and take to the drive-in movie. The kids will love it.

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
3 quarts popcorn, popped
1 cup dry roasted insects, chopped

Blend the butter and honey together in a saucepan and heat gently. Mix the popcorn with the insects and pour the butter-honey mixture over it. Mix well. Spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350° 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp. Break into bite-sized pieces.

Hmm...I'm gonna show this recipe to Dimas at his Mulege square taco stand...a new taste treat, maybe??

[Edited on 11-13-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 06:12 AM

Ok, so the rain woke me up, the plywood on the pickup needed moving (but didn't get moved--grrrr!) and the puppy needed to get thrown ou-- I mean to say allowed out of the house for his middle-night puppy prowl and all that means

soooo I'm up and hungry

but I don't want to eat grasshoppers -- I would if I had to, but...

had to look at the thread, right?

Here's a question: How do you "clean" insects? Like fish or camarones? Gut 'n scale 'em?
or like windows -- ask the guy at the Pemex station to do it?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
but I don't want to eat grasshoppers -- I would if I had to, but...

had to look at the thread, right?

Here's a question: How do you "clean" insects? Like fish or camarones? Gut 'n scale 'em?

You know better...just pop 'em an' eat 'em..think of them as oysters!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 10:42 AM

As far as I know chapulines eat vegetation! Some vegetation is poisonous, that would be my concern not their cleanliness? GL
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes
As far as I know chapulines eat vegetation! Some vegetation is poisonous, that would be my concern not their cleanliness? GL

:?:...:?:...:?:...:?:...:?:

deportes, You're supposed to put a smiley after a statement like that. Like one of these.....":lol:".

I do assume you were just trying to be funny with that. Correct ..:?:
If not, then what do you think cows, buffalos, sheep, chickens, deer, elk, ducks, pigs and turkeys eat ??? How about the dreaded halibut, clams, oysters, crabs, mussels and scallops ???

BTW... what DO YOU eat that has never eaten something else...(plant, animal or sea creature)....:?::?::?::?:

Interesting that after thousands of years of grasshoppers being used as a staple and source of protein you've come up with such a brilliant revelation. I'm sure you don't like them, especially since you've obviously never had one. I however, am LIVING proof that they're delicious and not poisonous. But don't worry, you just stick to TACO BELL and leave the grasshoppers to the rest of us. Just stop with your bad reviews until you've tried whatever it is.............:yes:...:yes:

BTW.... be careful of those Taco Bell muchacha burritos. I hear they use 2 day old unfertilized chicken embryos in those things....:o...:o...:o..:lol:...:lol:...:lol:

[Edited on 11-13-11 by KASHEYDOG]

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Good question, Mulegena. I think they use tiny sponges...........:o...;:lol:...:lol:

Grasshoppers are a local delicacy, produced and consumed in households and are a cheap source of protein. In season, grasshoppers are an important part of the local diet. Grasshoppers are even important in business, big and small, as they are sold in local markets and exported to the US.

In this article the grasshoppers will be discussed more in depth in relation to ecology, preparation, consumption, recipes, and economics.

Grasshoppers consumed are harvested from corn fields, and alfalfa fields. The grasshoppers harvested are considered to be semi-domesticated, because they live on (and are normally collected from) corn fields. The harvest occurs during the late summer and autumn (August through December).

Grasshoppers are harvested in the following manner. The harvesting occurs early in the morning when the ground is cool and the Grasshoppers are dormant.

The Grasshoppers are caught with nets in the fields. The harvesters work for a couple of hours and put Grasshoppers into a bag or box. When it is cooler they will clean the catch, eliminate unwanted bugs, etc. The Grasshoppers will be left in a cool dark place for 2-3 days so they can clean themselves.

After the Grasshoppers are harvested they are prepared. The ways Grasshoppers are prepared are as follows. After the Grasshoppers are clean, they are sorted by life stage, nymph or adult, and by size. In general, Grasshoppers harvested from corn fields.

Now, bring water to a boil (with garlic and herbs).Then adds the Grasshoppers quickly! Remove the Grasshoppers to a cast iron plate for toasting.

Add one of two flavors, lime y salt or roasted with garlic. Eat them hot with a fresh tortilla as the southern Mexicans from the state of Oaxaca eat them.

[Edited on 11-13-11 by KASHEYDOG]

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 03:41 PM

Not hungry enough to eat insects. But hoe cakes and fried bread? I'm good to go.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.