Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
I take back my first post about it being a fake. It's at Skinny Ridge near Grand Junction. He used homemade studs in his tires.

Me too.
Kurt
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Just because none of us have the huevos to do this doesn't mean it's a fake :cool:

Interesting how folks will dismiss something just because it's outside their personal comprehension...says something about some people's thinking more than it does the behaviour of others :saint:

I hadn't thought about a stabilized camera when I suggested it was not real but now have reconsidered. It isn't outside my personal comprehension but it sure is far outside my riding ability at any point of my life and now in my late 60's rides like that happen only in dreams (or nightmares.)
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 02:37 PM

It is interesting that the owner of the video has now removed it. I went to watch it and it is no longer online. Maybe it was a fake, if not why remove it?

I dont have anger management issues, I have idiot management issues.
Oddjob
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by choyero
It is interesting that the owner of the video has now removed it. I went to watch it and it is no longer online. Maybe it was a fake, if not why remove it?

The video in the first post was hijacked and the original one is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE8o4sVLRBc&lc=ip86X-9GFb...

He has other videos on youtube.
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:04 PM

thanks oddjob!

That is legit and also looks very doable. The fish eye effect of the camera probably makes it look higher and much scarier than it actually is. It be a trail I'd want to carry speed through that's for sure. It'd be really sketchy trying to run it slow in 1st or 2nd gear.

If you watch carefully you can actually see where a few previous riders turned left and rode down the face, so it must not be as steep and high as it the camera makes it appear.

Regardless, very good footage and riding!

Oddjob
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:20 PM

If you do a search on youtube for Skinny Ridge Grand Junction you can see it when there is no snow. The camera makes it look worse than it is, but it's still very steep. This trail in Washington is really gnarly and a rider died here about three years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oxu7dP3N-s
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
This trail in Washington is really gnarly and a rider died here about three years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oxu7dP3N-s

That WA trail is way more gnarly than the other vid!!! I liked all the orange bikes too!

[Edited on 1-25-2012 by choyero]

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 09:03 AM

The not moving head affect happens with helmet cams. It's because the cam and the helmet are 1 and move together. Here is an example from a snowboarding video I shot last week. The video it's self is nothing amazing, but it shows the same helmet cam affect. Snow Valley run
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
He's pegging the speedo!
That's gatt a be a Hayabusa bike!

That is correct! >>> The first year Busa, like mine, had no factory hi-speed limiter and was the fastest streetable mass production motorcycle ever produced. >>>> With my mods it would top out @ 216MPH with insane acceleration. >>>> It was instant ADIOS to anything on the street. Like BYE BYE!!!!

Regards,sq.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 12:43 PM

Just more data:

It's a fisheye lens on a GoPro helmet cam so it looks harry.
Any decent off-road rider could do this.

It's not hard.

He should have dove off left and ridden down the scree slope at the end.
That would've been trick.

He's on a '03 CR250 Honda.

Edit:
That's Dove Springs near Cantil, Ca. I cruised that ridge at least a dozen times over the years. I knew it looked familiar.
It's high, but not as dramatic as this lens makes it look.
Those cameras film exactly like that when secured to a helmet, looks fake but, it's real.

From www.supertopo.com

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
He's pegging the speedo!

That is correct! >>> The first year Busa, like mine, had no factory hi-speed limiter and was the fastest streetable mass production motorcycle ever produced. >>>> With my mods it would top out @ 216MPH with insane acceleration. >>>> It was instant ADIOS to anything on the street. Like BYE BYE!!!!

Regards,sq.

Wow Roy... great to see you back!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
He's pegging the speedo!

Regards,sq.

Hey sq .. does this bring back any memories ... liked the guy @ 2:54 in ... hitting his breaks.. nice guy...

[Edited on 1-27-2012 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.