Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Recommendation for smallish motorcycle for hauling around
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
A Honda Trail 90 can accommodate TWO people? Not the ones I've seen. These come on the market regularly over here. Seat is too small, no rear pegs. And 90cc for over 300 lbs. of flesh, combined.

Not to mention how inadequate the old style brakes must be on those dinosaurs.

No, it's gotta be AT LEAST 200cc, doesnt it?

Bronco boy, where are you???

Sounds like you need to get what will make you feel comfortable, then figure out how to carry it. get one of the Japanese 4-stroke models that are made for on/off road. a strictly off-road bike is too uncomfortable in the saddle for 2. maybe one of the older Honda XR models.

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by rts551]
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 06:34 PM

My 90 has rear pegs and a seat on the rear rack. For the little trips to town you described it is fine. It has hauled me and my wife or son many times. It has also hauled over 400 pounds of me and elk at 10,000 foot of elevation on really bad trails. I don't think you will find many KTM dealers in Mexico. Are you going racing, or are you looking for a small trail bike?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 06:34 PM

these things weigh less than 50 lbs, get 2 bikes. (no one wants to be a passenger on a 2 wheeler, everyone wants to be the driver).

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Not much room for two there. Maybe the partner can ride on his shoulders.

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I would think a 350-500 is a little large to put on the front of your truck. For example, a honda xr400r is over 250 punds, At most you would want a 250 or one of the older 175-185'5. used to be popular to put the old Honda 110's on the front.

ya, that's what i thought. a 500 cc is a big bike and aint easy to hang on front of PU. sounds like he needs a scooter or electric-motor assisted bicycle. there are some really cool scooters and assisted bikes on the market these days...

scooter or electric assisted bike wouldn't be very good for the dirt roads.

BS.

check out this bike:
[img]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0130/9572/products/3_fortnew_large.jpg?487[/img]
http://www.fortunehanebrink.com/bicycles/eat-model/

and check out this:
http://optibike.com/r-series-optibike

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
My 90 has rear pegs and a seat on the rear rack. For the little trips to town you described it is fine. It has hauled me and my wife or son many times. It has also hauled over 400 pounds of me and elk at 10,000 foot of elevation on really bad trails. I don't think you will find many KTM dealers in Mexico. Are you going racing, or are you looking for a small trail bike?

No, not racing and not doing anything more challenging than dirt roads in areas like southern Utah.

I can hop NOB if a KTM comes available in southern AZ.

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:44 AM

As far as finding motorcycle parts in baja, it doesn't really matter what brand you have. the parts will need to be ordered in. MC shops in baja rarely carry a large inventory of parts.

We've had all 5 major brands of atv's and bikes down here and every part that has ever been needed has been shipped via the states.

Don't base your decision on parts availability in baja, because quite frankly parts/shops are basically nonexistant in the majority of baja. The shops that do exist are poorly equiped compared to the states. heck, in the states I order all my parts too, as it is usually cheaper and the dealers usually only carry the most needed parts to minimize inventory.

Look at the exc models.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:53 AM

Those little wingdings are obnoxious. Like riding a chainsaw. The big ones are louder, but at least they have some power. Would rather walk than straddle one of 'em.:lol:
cervezafrio

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 08:10 AM

I own and have used a Honda 200 street/dirt bike in baja ..great motorcylce. It can accomplish all of you stated needs. .. and it just happens that i'am willing to sell it...year - mid 1980's ..great condition ..low mileage [1,200] etc. ..i have not researched the value ??
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 08:26 AM

Get me a model number and year, cervezafrio.

Parts are not hard to get where I live (6 hours south of Tucason, in Sonora). There are always people coming down, willing to bring parts.

exc models, thanks.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 08:35 AM
Honda XL-200

Quote:
Originally posted by cervezafrio
I own and have used a Honda 200 street/dirt bike in baja ..great motorcylce. It can accomplish all of you stated needs. .. and it just happens that i'am willing to sell it...year - mid 1980's ..great condition ..low mileage [1,200] etc. ..i have not researched the value ??

If it's a Honda XL-200, and it is in decent shape, GRAB IT!!!!!

I had one of these and they are great. They are a dual sport, and set up for the road (lights, turn signals) and also for dirt trails and roads. Will haul 2 people or groceries.

http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/honda-xl-200-for-sale

The Honda XR-200 is similar, but for dirt only, no lights.....

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by bajaguy]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 09:16 AM

I am the original owner of a perfect XL185S bought in Grass Valley, Ca. (still has the dealer sticker on the fender). They are becoming collector items getting way more than the original price.
cervezafrio

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 11:01 AM

Hello .. Hook and Bajaguy .. it is a honda XL 200 with lights and a seat for 2 plus pegs and a rack ... great bike ..and getting harder to find ... top speed with one is about 60mph ... with the 200 frame it is easy to get on & off and it rides better & more comfortable than a straight dirt bike but i am in baja at the moment and the honda 200 is in calif... so i can not get the real specifics...until i return ...but we can stay in contact if you are interested... ride safe...
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 01:42 PM

Honda.
Parts availability is important, and new and used parts are readily available.
200cc-250cc should be reasonable power (can pull through sand or handle the weight of a passenger), yet still light/small enough to mount to the front of the truck.
My choice would be a Honda XR200R, with a lighting kit and rear pegs added. It has 4-stroke reliability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XR_series

Note: Less desireable are the XL (or "L" following designations) which have factory equipped lighting, battery (vs. magneto), often metal gas tanks, considerably heavier, with low performance suspensions.

Many people have converted XR models for dual-purpose (dirt & street) with Baja Designs kits. http://www.bajadesigns.com/
Best bet is to look for a gently used bike, already converted.

Re: Honda Fat Cats (TR200). I've owned 3. (Currently own a Yamaha Big Wheel (BW350) for a camp bike at the sand dunes.) The Fat Cat is fun on dirt/sand. Not street legal. Not enough power for big dunes. Very heavy for such a small appearing bike. Automatic clutch, so anyone can learn to ride one in two minutes. Weak front forks with stamped sheet metal triple clamps. Easy to modify the front suspension by swapping out with the complete front end from a Honda ATC 250R or 350X (3-wheeler).
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 02:13 PM
So

Quote:
Originally posted by cervezafrio
Hello .. Hook and Bajaguy .. it is a honda XL 200 with lights and a seat for 2 plus pegs and a rack ... great bike ..and getting harder to find ... top speed with one is about 60mph ... with the 200 frame it is easy to get on & off and it rides better & more comfortable than a straight dirt bike but i am in baja at the moment and the honda 200 is in calif... so i can not get the real specifics...until i return ...but we can stay in contact if you are interested... ride safe...

What's your asking price????

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 02:23 PM

Maderita, are you saying that an XL200 is a two stroke engine?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 02:42 PM
Link

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Maderita, are you saying that an XL200 is a two stroke engine?

Looks like four stroke.........maybe depends on the year

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_xl_200_r_1983.php

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 03:05 PM

a Suzuki DRZ 250 is a great bike. Early 2000's

No worries
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 04:49 PM

"Maderita, are you saying that an XL200 is a two stroke engine?"
Hook,
No. The XL model is 4-stroke.
IIRC, the XL engine may have lower performance on some models vs. the more powerful XR engine. Additionally, the XL bike is heavier.
The suspensions don't have the performance of the XR, which was designed for offroad.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 05:23 PM

http://bajasur.en.craigslist.com.mx/for/2907881840.html

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 05:58 PM

I used to haul my bikes on the front of my truck. The truck was a 1983 GM 2500 with a camper in the back. The first bike was a Honda XR 500, when I got rid of it the other was a Suzuki Dakar 600. I had to remove the gas tanks and seats from both bikes as they stuck up over the hood. I also had to install air bags in the front coil springs to compensate for all the extra weight. The bikes on the front eventually ruined the front suspension of the truck. After that I started packing my bikes in an enclosed trailer, far better even though there was the hassle of towing.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
I used to haul my bikes on the front of my truck. The truck was a 1983 GM 2500 with a camper in the back. The first bike was a Honda XR 500, when I got rid of it the other was a Suzuki Dakar 600. I had to remove the gas tanks and seats from both bikes as they stuck up over the hood. I also had to install air bags in the front coil springs to compensate for all the extra weight. The bikes on the front eventually ruined the front suspension of the truck. After that I started packing my bikes in an enclosed trailer, far better even though there was the hassle of towing.

Yeah, but I hate driving on marginal dirt roads, towing a trailer. It basically defeats the whole purpose of having a cabover camper-remote camping with some amenities.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.