Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diesel fuel availability
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551 . . . In fact my truck (2002) likes the fuel in BCS better than the fuel up North.. . .

Same here, my Cummins like the reguar diesel better. In fact, I put sulfur-substitute lubricant additive when I fill up with ULSD. I wish regular diesel (500ppm LSD) is still available. Now please don't flame me for global warming, pollution, etc.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 03:58 PM

My older Cummins (96) loves Mexican diesel..Better fuel mileage,more performance..even smells better...

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:08 PM

Had nothing but trouble with my injectors in my Chevy Silverado when using Mexico diesel. I tried using additives also to no avail and even though all 2003 Chevy Diesel trucks had recall a few years back on the injections raising the mileage from 100,000 to 200,000 trouble is on going. I had to change my injectors out 3 times on my 2500 Silverado HD Diese, note there are 8 injectors so costlyl.
Just got rid of it and will stick with my jeep wrangler and my MKX Lincoln Suv in Mexico for now. Hope that you have no problems but the filter is a big one to change before and after your trip down through Baja. Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:12 PM

Good read diesel.

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/researchdevelopment/a/c...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Fishmagician
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:22 PM

Bajafun777. I had my injectors replaced (no prior problem) then my good mileage went to south in hurry and never returned. I used a Seldane treatment in my boat (diesel) it helped but Chevy says not to use it in the truck. So I haven't. Maybe the gas down there will burn better. Did you injectors go out due to the Mex. diesel?? Thanks for the info
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:31 PM

sometimes injectors go out because people use additives
the additives breakdown rubber and plastic

ONLY use diesel fuel
and make sure you replace your fuel filter every once and awhile...

dirt in the air sticks to the oily diesel and will clog you system

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:38 PM

Bosch injectors just never held up in the diesel engines according to mechanics I have talked to at several Chevolet dealerships that repaired mine by installing new ones. I had all 8 replaced twice and then Injectors 1 and 3 replaced after that, just really frustrating. They have told me that the Bosch injectors cannot handle the Mexico diesel but note I have driven my truck numerous times down to Maztalan and even Puerto Vallarte but had problem once while on the road in Los Mochis but found by luck a great diesel mechanic down there that got me going again.

I have been told by MJM in Escondio that it is the O-rings that are the real problems and that the injectors did not necessarily had to be replaced. So, go figure and frankly I just got tired of it but really loved the truck other than these dang injector problems that were costly even though Chevolet sent me a letter saying they were extending the mileage warranty from 100,000 to 200,000. Again, have talked to numerous Chevolet owners having these issues, so I assume that if someone hasn't then maybe they have the models that did not use the Bosch injectors. Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Fishmagician
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:56 PM

Bob, Susan and Bajafu777,

Thanks for the information, it all helps. I've kept my 2003 2500 HD in mechanically great shape..have had to replace injectors too, filters and parts when needed.

Comitan: thanks for the great read, very informative..
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 05:18 PM

Wow and here I ran my GMC diesel 90,000 miles on Mexican diesel (8 years @ 12,000yr).

Mex 1 IMHO is NO PLACE to run out of fuel. Anywhere. Ever. Especially in a hard to prime diesel vehicle.

Wrap a 5 gal fuel jug in a plastic trash sack. This will help minimize odors.

PUNTA PRIETA makes for a good waypoint to add fuel. Myself, I've got a lot better things to do on Mex 1 than stare at my fuel needle and pray.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

Same here, my Cummins like the reguar diesel better. In fact, I put sulfur-substitute lubricant additive when I fill up with ULSD. I wish regular diesel (500ppm LSD) is still available. Now please don't flame me for global warming, pollution, etc.

This is what John Deere has to say about the need to add a lubricant enhancer.. BTW "sulfur is not a lubricant"..

"Additives for lubricity should not be necessary. Like Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, ULSD fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. Additives to increase lubricity and to inhibit corrosion will be added to ULSD fuel prior to its retail sale. With these additives, ULSD fuel is expected to perform as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel."

here is the link..
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/tractors/c...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 05:18 AM

thats not completely true...
in simple words that people can understand
sulfur is a lubricant in fuel...

the new refining process reduces sulfur and that reduces the natural lubricating properties of the fuel...

sulfur is essential for the lubrication and operation of fuel system parts such as fuel pumps and injectors.

it is bad for the enviorment and causes smog
this is why its being eliminated

our website is:
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 10:49 AM

Like I said earlier...Don't believe what you read on the forums.. Do your own research.

Do a search on "Sulphur is a lubricant" and "Sulphur is not a lubricate" and then choose what to believe..
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 09:02 PM

I spent the past 18 days and 3,000 miles on the Peninsula was in the dirt for 2000 miles and found diesel fuel EVERYWHERE readily available.

I crossed into the States at 2pm today at Tecate and I was the only vehicle around!

Good Times!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 05:21 AM

i crossed on monday the 30th and waited an hour and a half at tecate...you got lucky

crossing back into mexico a few days later AND importing a truckload of junk was faster

as for fuel...the only time we dont have it here is when the electricty is off:lol:

our website is:
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i crossed on monday the 30th and waited an hour and a half at tecate...you got lucky

crossing back into mexico a few days later AND importing a truckload of junk was faster

as for fuel...the only time we dont have it here is when the electricty is off:lol:

Lucky is my middle name!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
Like I said earlier...Don't believe what you read on the forums.. Do your own research.

Do a search on "Sulphur is a lubricant" and "Sulphur is not a lubricate" and then choose what to believe..

X2

In my case I know 100% my Cummins engine injection pump was engineered, proofed and tested with regular diesel (LSD) and I'll do my best to give it that or as close to it as I can.

[Edited on 5-10-2012 by edm1]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.