Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Stopped by police in Tecate
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 01:39 PM

This really makes me sad due to the extreme 4000 pesos amount. I feel for your friend. If it happened to me I'd go see the judge and be in jail BEFORE I pay that amount, make them work for it, besides them dealing with my killer dog that I could accidentally let go.

I hope and pray it doesn't happen again to someone else.

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Am I way behind or...wasn't there at one time the issuance of an actual ticket required by the police on the frontier zone? I thought that was to keep this kind of situation at bay and was instituted by the politico of the border cities.

I also carry printed copies of my Driver ID and hand that to the cop through a three inch opening of my window. I never relinguish my drivers license (although I do keep an expired on and have turned that over).

Early 90's I was written a ticket that I deserved by a Tijuana motorcycle policeman.

Cut a check for the fine ($18 as I recall) and mailed it to a P.O. Box in San Ysidro. No problem.

Brilliant idea. Prepare checks with a certain amount with "traffic ticket" in the memo line. Now, take your pen and ask the cop his/her name and pretend to write it on the check!!! Ask the wife to capture the scene on camera - the expression on the cop's face would be a gem.

[Edited on 6-4-2012 by edm1]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

You gotta be kiddin. Do you think this was an isolated incidence?
Really....do you?
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

You gotta be kiddin. Do you think this was an isolated incidence?
Really....do you?

Yes Dennis, specifically 4000 pesos or more. $20 mordida yes, common, but $400 direct payout to a cop? I hope this is very rare.

[Edited on 6-4-2012 by edm1]

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 04:57 PM

There is the letter of the law and the "spirit of the law," to which a law enforcement officer should consider both when dealing with people. It appears that the "spirit of the law" should have prevailed in the cases of someone getting turned around in an unfamilar area or having a pocket knife on them. Additionally, if someone did not see a stop sign which in most off street areas in Mexico are very hard to see or just hidden behind trees or other signs. Best thing to do is basically stop at all intersections and just believe that a stop sign is there or someone stole it!!LOL Take Care & Travel Safe------ "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 05:20 PM
tickets

I have learned to try and time to drive through problem towns EARLY sunday morning (constution) the cops are getting ready for church to repent for their sins !!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 05:29 PM

I can't believe some of you are fixated on the amount of the "fine"......4000 whatevers being excessive....and not outrageous, as it was.
It's not the amount of the mordida...it's the fact that it happens.

Only you can put a stop to it. Start recording your encounters with film, tape, digital....what ever. All of you...get out of the car with recorders and cameras and put this baloney on record...right in the faces of the highway robbers that pulled you over. Tell them that they're gonna be moviestars. YouTube heroes.

Be proactive in your well-being. Plan for this occurance and react accordingly.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 05:36 PM
dennis

I agree when your around other people..but if your out of town,by yourself.. caution may prevale and you my have to act with moderete actions...but in almost all cases I think your a 100 percent right and always give them your old license..and to lee this is not a game.. its a way to control the mases and you call it a game...uumm,,I won... driven to alaska tp panama without a stickin license!!:lol::lol::lol:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 06:12 PM
send some e-mails

Tourism Secretariat of Baja California
Juan Tintos Funcke
Secretary

José de Jesús Quiñónez Ramirez
Undersecretary of State Tourism
jjquinonez@baja.gob.mx

Héctor Reyes Orrantia
Planning and Investment Promotion Director
hreyes@baja.gob.mx

Maria Guadalupe Rivera Aguirre
Administrative Director
mgrivera@baja.gob.mx

Arturo Martínez Esquer
Facilitation and Tourist Assistance Sub Direction
amartineze@baja.gob.mx

Roberto Karlo López Paéz
Communications and Public Relations Sub Direction
rklopez@baja.gob.mx

Our Offices

Central Office
Juan Ruiz de Alarcón St. No.1572
Zona Rio, C.P. 22320
Tijuana, B.C.
Phone (664) 682-3367
Fax (664) 682-9061

Tecate Sub Delegation

Sub Delegate:
Eva Raquel García Rocha
ergarcia@baja.gob.mx
Libertad Alley Downtown
Tecate, B.C.
Phone and Fax (665) 654-1095

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 08:35 PM

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SHOWING COPS THE SINDICATURA STICKER?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

send some e-mails

Why would you even bother?

Do you actually believe that predator street cops are an aboration? That the little chickenchit functionaries in some office of the police, who know every move of the street cops...their methods of extortion that includes the share for their commandate, is going to give a sht what your problem is?

Gawwwwwdammmm, Terry..........you actually think you're dealing with a pure system here......doncha.
Dodginski

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 09:45 PM

Thanks, BajaGuy ...

I'll encourage our friend to get an email out to those addresses. Worse case scenario ... and most likely scenario ... nothing will come of it. But now, at the very least, he's got a new experience under his belt in regard to traveling in Mexico ... very exciting to tell at his local pub, for sure! And he'll be back ... all the wiser and more cautious the next time.

He certainly gets that he didn't know how he should have handled the situation, and figures that for what he was led to believe by those policemen, that $300 (4000 pesos) beat the heck out of 2 weeks in jail.

Mostly he just wanted to pass the information on to other travelers heading to and through Tecate ... as I said in the original post ... just a friendly "heads up" ...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 03:01 AM

I once suggested to a cop who had stopped me several times, that they could just put a 2 lb coffee can at the border for Mordidas. Saving everyone time and hassle. He laughed, and said have a good trip.

Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 06:05 AM

It appears the Tecate police corruption is getting worse. It certainly isn't going away. There is a multi-page thread on the same topic from January 2012. We have been stopped twice in the past year—once for dogs in the cab of the truck allegedly being illegal; once for speeding. We were going 20 MPH up the hill headed south out of town and the two motorcycle cops who tag teamed us claimed the speed limit is 15 KILOMETERS per hour on that hill! Never heard of such a slow speed limit on a major artery! In both cases, after asking their names and writing them down, we were allowed to leave with a warning.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 06:38 AM
It's up to you

You can either do nothing, complain on this board, or write the tourism officials.........if nothing else, after receiving several letters regarding the situation, it may wake somebody up and motivate them to do something......

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
This really makes me sad due to the extreme 4000 pesos amount. I feel for your friend. If it happened to me I'd go see the judge and be in jail BEFORE I pay that amount, make them work for it, besides them dealing with my killer dog that I could accidentally let go.

Most likely it will happen again and see this post:http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57908#pid691854
It has happened before.
Larry
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 07:45 AM

When we are traveling in towns outside of our own in Mexico, we ALWAYS make a point to keep only a few hundred pesos in our wallets. My wife keeps the rest near her privates.

I HIGHLY recommend only keeping a small amount in traditional cash locations like purse/wallet so it "APPEARS" you are giving him all your money. I've even negotiated keeping a hundred pesos for the tolls ahead.

Certainly that 4000 peso fine could have been "negotiated" down significantly. But not if one clearly has 4000 pesos in your wallet.

My take on mordida? If I'm innocent, I fight it. If I'm guilty, I gladly pay it. A few hundred always does it.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dodginski
The 2 policemen thoroughly searched his pickup finding 2 pocket knives. He was told they were illegal weapons if kept within reach while driving.

This is what I question, first and foremost. It simply makes no sense and I doubt there's a law on the books that covers this.
In addition, there are search and seizure laws in Mexico as well. Did these extortionists follow the proper procedure for a search of someone who, as they say, didn't come to a complete stop? There was no probable cause to implement a thorough search and the procedure sounds excessive.
These cops are nothing less than armed robbers and they shouldn't be given any benefit of the doubt. On their historical track record alone they don't deserve it.
Some here go out of their way to see these thugs as upstanding protectors. They arn't. They're thieves....not only individually, but collectively as well. The whole police system is tied together with power abuse and personal enrichment. Everybody knows this. Ask any Mexican not wearing a badge.
Why do so many foreigners ignore this fact when they have enough information to know what it really is....extortion by fear.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 09:35 AM

Whenever you get pulled over, you must gather your wits, stay very calm and still and take in necessary info, the slower you move the more convincing you are that you will waste the time of the cop. So practice moving very very slowly, almost stop motion, you'll need to time it so it takes about 10 minutes to pull out a sheet which is your reg and talk very very slowly, be exceptionally polite and firm and friendly.

Police in both the USA and Mexico are required to show their identification card, actually in the USA it's three forms of ID and the uniform/badge #. Get it write it down, take a photo of the id for personal use in case it's required, if they won't show it they are outta luck. You'll want to know the full names of the officers, if they refuse there you have an issue to focus on. They are breaking the law.

Bring a blank form in the registration folder, to gather data from an accident or traffic issue, start gathering all the facts in a very respectful manner. You should know where you are, what streets, identify all parties with three forms of id.

Absolutely take photos for your personal use to note the location, the cop identification and the circumstances.

It helps to talk in code, "we are gathering info for the program" "the agency is working to support the good police" "I prosecute criminals", memorize key names of district attorneys, military, procuradors, not to brag but question do you work for ...?

And of course digress into a discussion about food, recipes, where to buy supplies and focus on the food, "voy hacer un pavo con frijoles, arroz y papas blah blah blah. As soon as you reach the 20 minute mark the cop will know he's screwed and will turn and walk!

If you go to the station, repeat this process ad infinitum, they will be asking you to leave in no time.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 09:45 AM

could you just ride with us? seriously, thats great stuff!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.