Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Impeller replacement?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 12:54 PM

The "expert" says, YES, the seal is leaking. There is a spring that is supposed to be inside of the seal and it is gonzo, leaving quite a bit of telltale rust on that end of the impeller. It just rusted away...............maybe electrolysis from spending a month here and there in a electrically "hot" marina? That seal is about 5 years old.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 01:15 PM
seal

Hola< get a new pump..do not try and rebiuld it.... not cheaper in the longrun..and I think that motor has fresh water cooling..you might run some saltaway in her and let it sit with the S.A. in the cooling system!! K&T
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 10:10 PM

It was interesting to watch the videos on pump servicing. In mariine
mechanics school our instructor Russ Sandore had quite a few years
of experience and passed down a lots of the hard learned and earned
tricks of the trade. Even the factory manuals are the Abc's at best.
You will run into problems like seized fasteners that may requier the
carefull use of a "hot wrench" and special tools galore that make the
job possible or easier. Before any waterpump service we were
taught to perform a vaccum and pressure test to check the condition
of the various seals in the drive. Also to note the condition of the
lubricant that is drained from the gearcase that could also tell you of water intrusion through the failure of these seals. We would be careful
to tape the splines of the shaft if we were to pass a seal by it to avoid cutting the new seal. A pair of Stevens vac/ pressure pumps
are indespensible. As Russ would say" Guys don't cheapsuit it, go
with the OEM part and if in doubt replace it, its cheap insurance."
I would also be very wary about using a screwdriver to split the aluminum cases on any drive aluminum always loses when put up against steel.

[Edited on 7-10-2012 by vacaenbaja]
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oggie
In Bahia de los Angeles see Pancho Verdugo for this kind of work.
yea but panch is so busy fishing in the summer that it will take to months to get it done. but yes he is very good.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 07:52 AM
vacaenbaja

HOLA, a mityvac is easy to find and works great.. no need to pressure test a gear case unless the oil is milky or low or missing.....LOL and use the right lwr end oil and fill procedure !!! they are all not the same...I have yet to see a You tube video about marine engine repair,service that was/is correct!!! sorry but this type of motor work info is not avable to the public and is coveted for many good reasons!! not a week goes by that I hear "I'm a mec at the ford dealership for 25 years,,I can fix it"...I cant count how many folks screw up a good motor/lwr end... trying to save a few bucks by doing it themself...save yourtself the greif and get reff's from other/older boaters and go to the guy that they recommend..and plan ahead.. If the guy is good.he will be busy and booked out!! if your planning a trip say 4th of july..you better call him june 4th and pray he dosnt fall or get sick...LOL.....K & T..:cool:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 08:00 AM

anyone know a good aluminum welder in SD? i got two 3inch cracks from the bunkers when the tie down strap came loose......:fire:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.