BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: GETTING FMM TOURIST CARDS at Tijuana: EASY!
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 03:24 PM

We got our cards issued when we were down last week; just did it on the way down. Arrived at 3:30 and the whole process was finished in about 15 minutes. When we arrived in Guererro Negro the next day, the immigration guy actually came over and wanted to see them; first time in several years he has ever shown his face to us. You just never know if/when he'll ask for them, so we always make sure to get them.

They do have free 7-day passes good for a single entry; my friend got one of those last trip and not only did he forget to send it in after leaving the country, he actually forgot that he had tucked it in one of the pages of his passport. Of course, as he's getting nis new pass last week, the old one fell out on the immigration guy's desk who looked at it and began quizzing us. We then learned it was a violation that it hadn't been turned in, etc. etc.; I was just waiting to see what the fine would be. To my surprise, he let us go with no fine and just a warning.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 05:19 PM

well get this, today I was fooling around in tijuana and decided to get legal. from the mexico side to get to immigration you walk along the street where the cars are coming out of secondary, theres a giant sign that reads do not pass this point. so you walk around this sign anyway. theres a guard shack you sign in with the nice guard and proceed to immigration.
filled out the fmm and was sent to the bank (even though I told him I knew david K!) came back, got stamped and asked if I had to surrender it upon returning. the officer just grinned and said "no".
ahh mexico, just when ya think ya got it figured out!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

5) Was pleasantly surprised when she informed us that INM now can accept the fee/tax... No more searching for an open bank. The fee/tax was 290 pesos or $24 US (either currency was acceptable). That exchange rate is 12.08 pesos per dollar. We used our recently purchased pesos.

A friend who was coming to visit about 3 years ago at Christmas time was told the same thing. He happily paid the agent and said Feliz Navidad.

Has the policy now changed for real?

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 06:22 PM

I think the policy has changed.................depending on the INM agent on duty. :lol:

Especially near Christmas.

There was a spate of these INM paid FMMs over here a few months back.......right before Christmas. No receipt stapled to the FMM as had been customary.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 09:48 PM

The FM-T first had two stamps, one from the bank teller when you paid, and the final validating one from INM. If you bought a pre-paid one at Discover Baja, you still had to stop at INM and get the second stamp to make it 'good' when you entered Mexico.

The last FM-T we got (2009) had a big sheet of paper stapled to the FM-T from the bank teller with a stamp.

Yesterday's FMM had just a single stamp (as you can see above)... I wonder how INM knows if you really paid if you went to the bank with it, unless the bank teller provides a separate receipt?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 11:41 PM

A few months back we crossed at Otay and it was super easy and quick, right on too Blvd 2000 after we got our stamps. We did have prepaid visas from Discover Baja which are a bit more expensive but well worth the convenience. Just get stamped and you are on your way. Took us 10 minutes for four of is and we were on our way south.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 07:01 AM

DK did you ask her why Costco gave you 12.9 but she gave you 12.08? that's $1.20 per FMM going into their pocket! or is Costco giving money away?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 07:27 AM

Quote:

Yesterday's FMM had just a single stamp (as you can see above)... I wonder how INM knows if you really paid if you went to the bank with it, unless the bank teller provides a separate receipt?

With the FM3, there is no stamp showing one paid, but INM does not process the FM3 without a receipt from the bank --- I am guessing it may be the same with the FMM or as Hook said, they stapled the receipt to the FMM.

Still wondering if they really have changed their policy to legally allow the INM agents to receive the money directly.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
DK did you ask her why Costco gave you 12.9 but she gave you 12.08? that's $1.20 per FMM going into their pocket! or is Costco giving money away?

No, she did say she would take dollars or pesos, it was our choice. $24 dollars or $290 pesos.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 07:46 AM

i can't believe you fell for it. did you get the receipt stapled to it? i guess that is all that matters.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

With the FM3, there is no stamp showing one paid, but INM does not process the FM3 without a receipt from the bank --- I am guessing it may be the same with the FMM or as Hook said, they stapled the receipt to the FMM.

Still wondering if they really have changed their policy to legally allow the INM agents to receive the money directly.

I did read before (here, I think) that they were now bonded or whatever was needed so they could take the money at INM. She (the INM official) made it clear we could pay down at the bank window or her, it made no difference to her. She had a money drawer, and it seemed legit the way she did the procedure. On and all, it went well and we have the FMMs now.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29
A few months back we crossed at Otay and it was super easy and quick, right on too Blvd 2000 after we got our stamps. We did have prepaid visas from Discover Baja which are a bit more expensive but well worth the convenience. Just get stamped and you are on your way. Took us 10 minutes for four of is and we were on our way south.

What about the Discover Baja FMM indicates that it has been paid? The receipt from the bank, stapled to the FMM, used to be the proof in 2010. You returned with the receipt and only then did INM give the final stamp.

I havent had an FMM in a few years, so bear with me.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 12:52 PM

Hola david k,

i thank you for your posting. as usual, it was very informative.

my son and i and my 5 year old grandson are crossing on a tuesday around noon for our four day journey to san quintin to fish. would like to be earlier but my grandson arrives at LAX around 7 a.m.

as we cross at tj with our passports in hand, we'll park in the secondary and walk up to the immigration for our one week free fmm's and hopefully, it will be as easy as most other posters have quoted.

thank you again,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 07:21 AM

Can you still cross the border in the far right lane and park across from the office? I have been crossing at Lukeville for the past few years. Very easy there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 10:36 AM

A follow up... Nowhere during our 15 day/ 2,622 mile Mexico vacation did anyone ask to see our tourist cards. At the state border (Paralelo 28, near Guerrero Negro) we came to a stop at the Migra building, and the officer looked out from his doorway and waved us on. Coming back north on a different road, still no inspection of the FMM... well, there is nobody on the dirt roads in Baja that ask for them.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
A follow up... Nowhere during our 15 day/ 2,622 mile Mexico vacation did anyone ask to see our tourist cards. At the state border (Paralelo 28, near Guerrero Negro) we came to a stop at the Migra building, and the officer looked out from his doorway and waved us on. Coming back north on a different road, still no inspection of the FMM... well, there is nobody on the dirt roads in Baja that ask for them.

Yet............

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 11:36 AM

Quote:

What are you trying to say David, dont get any paper's
I have lived in Baja 10 years and never been asked for my paper's does that mean all this time I have been throwing my money away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I think he is saying nobody asked for his papers.
Exactly, it was a follow-up post. Even the official didnt want to see them by GN. This post was showing how to follow the rules.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 01:51 PM

If one was to get the tourist card at Discover Baja could you just carry it with you until someone asked for it. It's my understanding that DB fills it out and takes the money but it needs stamped by a Baja Offical.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 04:13 PM

Yes, a Prepaid fmm needs to be stamped at Mex
Immigration when crossing to set the 180 day
validation clock ticking. So it now makes no sense
to pay the extra $ for a prepaid fmm if the Mex Immigration
officer takes the fmm fee himself, although I'm a bit
leery of this, I might step down the bldg to the bank
teller myself. Mexicali always stamps my passport,
I return it when it is about to expire and get an
exit stamp, although I've herad it makes absoutely
no difference
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.