Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Why do I fish?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 09:30 AM

This one rates a repeat BUMP
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 09:56 AM

There's also the attraction of scoring, of winning big. A gamblers attraction.

In Death of a Salesman Bengie's older brother tells him 'I went into the jungle and came out with millions'. That's Bengie's professional dream. To strike it rich. To hit the mother lode.

Many guys have similar hopes on the way to the fishing grounds. Even before they get into the car and drive to Baja.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 09:58 AM

People ask me "why do you go to Baja? for the fishing?"
I respond with yes I go fishing but that is not the reason I go. It's more about getting on the water, seeing something you've never seen before. Having that feeling of being fully alive..
Don't get me wrong, I love fishing but for me it's being out and taking it all in.
If I catch something that's just a bonus.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 10:31 AM

This is why I fish - I'm driving the boat & Brice is tossing a jig into breaking BFT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFO62Zm9Ps

[Edited on 6-26-2015 by 55steve]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 02:14 PM

when the surf's flat it's another way to be on the ocean and sometimes come home with something for dinner.

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baitcast  
Again its the genes we were hunters and gathers in the beginning,some of us feel this and others don't,I to am haunted by water be it the noise of a small stream,river,a lake,the ocean,I have never passed a body of water without thinking I wonder what kind of fish lived there,its been that way since I was very young,some of my earliest memories was following my father down bushy streams to catch pan sized trout in northern Wash. and Ida.

We are lucky you and I because we have experienced this feeling,guess I will have to break out Dads pic's again:lol:

Thanks Igor love that movie and yes that scene.
I know that old man for he is me.
Rob

[Edited on 7-19-2012 by baitcast]

Yes, haunted by water. Well said. I am the same. It brings me peace and quiet joy to be near water - lakes, rivers, the ocean.

Some of my first memories are of fishing streams in Washington and Idaho with my dad as well. Trout. Ice cold waters. Camping in remote areas, way up in the mountains off logging roads. Picking wild blueberries with my brothers and sisters. Butter-fried fresh caught trout for dinner.

Great times. I've loved fishing since I was a child.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 11:13 PM

Fishing-
That shot of electricity that goes through your body the instant the connection between fish and fisherman happens, as the yet unseen adversary unexpectedly pulls on the line, for the first time, .

My Dad taught me to fish over 65 years ago, trout in the Sierras.

Trolling, with the motor turning over ever so slowly, putt putt, putt putt, putt putt, as the mist rises off the calm water and a fish splashes on the surface.

Fishing is images, sounds and memories, not necessarily in that order.

65 years ago, as a very young lad, it was exciting. Today, it's still as exciting but more memorable with the thoughts of where the memories come from.

4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-27-2015 at 12:14 AM

THIS is a great thread, so full of memories and that old man in the river, Rob, that was my dad, frequently at June Lake or in Colorado. I still have his lures and tackle and they will be going with me to Baja.
Another, more recent (35 years ago) I was the galley cook on the Pescador (the old Red Rooster) out of Long Beach. Due to it's age, it was mainly a day boat but oh, I loved that year when I spent about 6 months getting up at 3 am to drive from Pomona to Long Beach to stock the galley, make the coffee, some soup or chili, and cook breakfast burritos, then hamburgers. I loved turning the disappointed guys that only caught bonita into happy campers by sauteing them in white wine & butter. Yes, I know boneheads are not a big catch but they sure could put up a fight. We had some many newbies that one of the crew would be assigned to running up and down the decks, cutting fouled lines and helping others get their fish aboard. When I later worked at Dodger Stadium I was surprised to be recognized as that great cook from the boat, more than once.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-27-2015 at 06:25 AM

I fished on the old Red Rooster in 63 :lol: out of San Diego...........We made one of the early runs to Guadalupe 50+ years ago, my how time flies:o.
Rob
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/BAITCAST/media/IMG_0001-2.j...
Red Rooster in all its glory and Baitcast doing his thing

[Edited on 6-27-2015 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.