Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Name that fish?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
That is a rare Kowabunga Queen Fish that was transplanted, along with a lot of his fellow mates from New Zealand.

Sorry, my response din't post again:
My reply was:
Definetly in the Kowagunga family but this one is from the even rarer subspieces Kowabunga labio de pelo

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 03:48 PM

thats NOT the same fish...thats a yellowtail with a dis-located jaw

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

If you look at the fin structure of the first fish, it is definately a Yellowtail, there is no mistake of that. Mine was a little different deformity, but not that uncommon. I have caught a half dozen or so of these deformed fish, one without a tail. They get hammered in the gillnets and some survive to go another day.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 07:25 PM

weird fish.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:42 PM

You have some really weird fish too. I guess we just don't know everything that's out there yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

If you look at the fin structure of the first fish, it is definately a Yellowtail, there is no mistake of that. Mine was a little different deformity, but not that uncommon. I have caught a half dozen or so of these deformed fish, one without a tail. They get hammered in the gillnets and some survive to go another day.

bajajurel
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 08:08 AM

I was having a little fun with the idea of a mutated fish, but both fish are examples of fish that were probably hurt during their very young years. We find a lot of Yellowtail that have missing fins, broken or almost non-existant tails, quite a few with mouth deformations like the pictures on this thread. I think it comes from the excessive gillnetting that is being done in the whole Sea of Cortez.

Again, when a fisherman uses a hook and a line, he is careful and attentive to each fish he catches as it represents money in the bank. The net guys are a whole different story, and they see so much money in the haul of the net, that a few fish thrown on the beach or a few falling back in to the water, do not seriously hamper the overall catch. You can see this at the dock everday. The hook and line fishermen come in and they treat their catch with a deference and respect and except for some odd catch fish, they do not give away many fish to the beggars who work the docks, but when the Netters come in, they can be seen giving a few yellowtail away to anyone that asks. The Hook and Line guys take their money from their catch and take it home for groceries and electricity, the Netters go buy cases of beer and Tequila and usually get drunk by the ramp.

I have a lot of respect for the Hook and Line guys and consider a lot of them good friends in the small village where I live. But I also have a friend who spent his life as a commercial fisherman and it is his opinion that the guys who use Hook and Line are a dying breed and that it is the Netters who are more effecient farmers of the ocean. While that gives me cause to think, I also know that the fishery is in trouble and the Hook and Line guys do not do as much to destroy a troubled fishery.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 08:12 AM
PECSADOR/NOMADS

HOLA,,I SECOND YOUR OPINION !!! K&T
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.