Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: San Pedro Martir National Park
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Ateo: thanks for a great trip report, and also for the kind words about our place here in the sierra! It was a real pleasure to meet you and your family!! Look forward to showing you some celestial sights!

The observatorio national does not let the public look through any of their scopes at night, all of the telescope time is sold to astronomers from all over the world. There are actually only a very few professional observatories that arrange special nights where the public can look through the giant scopes. Kitt Peak is one, and I believe mount Wilson is another. McDonald observatory in west Texas has one night a year where you can look through their 82 inch scope (I did it once, it was awesome). Most observatories have separate visitor centres with smaller instruments for public viewing. In talking to the past and present director there are plans underway to construct such a spot, perhaps near the museum. BTW for the museum all you need to do is ask and they will open it for you, especially if it is a larger group.

Mike, what is the size of the Baja telescope mirror in inches? I have been to Palomar many times (in my 'back yard') and know it is a 200 inch mirror, and for most of my life was the biggest in the world.
Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 10:57 AM

Excellent report! Like you, it took many, many trips to Baja before I made it up there to explore. What a wonderful part of Baja that so many never expect to see, and fewer still actually will. Nice picture essay of your trip. And very nice pictures of Picacho del Diablo. (I finally climbed that sucker a few years ago. There's a trip report floating around here on Nomads somewhere...)
Good on ya for leaving the sticks at home for once and exploring what is truly "another world" in Baja!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 11:29 AM

Thanks BajaAndy.

I need to find your trip report. Looking at that mountain made me realize anyone who could climb to the top had some serious cajones.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Excellent report! Like you, it took many, many trips to Baja before I made it up there to explore. What a wonderful part of Baja that so many never expect to see, and fewer still actually will. Nice picture essay of your trip. And very nice pictures of Picacho del Diablo. (I finally climbed that sucker a few years ago. There's a trip report floating around here on Nomads somewhere...)
Good on ya for leaving the sticks at home for once and exploring what is truly "another world" in Baja!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 11:32 AM

DK, I think the the largest in the park is 83". There are 2 other smaller ones (I think).

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 12:18 PM

Here ya go...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Thanks BajaAndy.

I need to find your trip report. Looking at that mountain made me realize anyone who could climb to the top had some serious cajones.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Picacho Del Diablo

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 01:50 PM

Sunday just before 2:00 got this message:
Atencion!! En estos momentos el parque nacional se encuentra bajo una intensa lluvia acompañada de tormentas eléctricas por seguridad se recomienda abstenerse a visitar el área natural protegida.

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 02:23 PM

Bajaboy: yup I can vouch for that;D Raining very hard for quite a few hours now with more coming on the radar!

David yeah Ateo got it right its an 83" (tiny by modern standards) the 1.5 meter is de-commisioned for a while and there is a 34" scope too. Long range plans are for a 6 meter (240 inch) scope.

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 03:14 PM

Great. I hope they get the 240 inch scope.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 9-17-2012 at 02:25 PM

Really nice report! Gracias!

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2012 at 06:01 PM
Great Stuff!

Thanks for sharing a most excellent Trip Report.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2012 at 06:07 PM

I really think this park is very special. It deserves more visitors.

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 10:53 PM

It's beautiful and quite empty. I was up there for a few days and I didn't see a soul, except the park ranger at the gate and one guy walking down the road removing rocks.

The visitor's center looked snazzy but it was locked up so I couldn't go in.
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 07:10 PM

Most excellent trip report & pictures, Ateo. It's great to see other Nomads exploring that little piece of Baja that few others do. After two visits, I have yet to get to the Observatorio when they are open and it fits my schedule. The next time, I'm throwing the schedule away and making time for more hiking, visiting the Sky Ranch and see the observatory. My April trip report is also floating around on one of these forums --- it includes pictures & video of camping in freezing rain and snow and hellaciously high winds, ugh!

Did you get some decals for your car? I've got mine on the side window.

[Edited on 2012-9-25 by bryanmckenzie]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Most excellent trip report & pictures, Ateo. It's great to see other Nomads exploring that little piece of Baja that few others do. After two visits, I have yet to get to the Observatorio when they are open and it fits my schedule. The next time, I'm throwing the schedule away and making time for more hiking, visiting the Sky Ranch and see the observatory. My April trip report is also floating around on one of these forums --- it includes pictures & video of camping in freezing rain and snow and hellaciously high winds, ugh!

Did you get some decals for your car? I've got mine on the side window.

Bryan,

You're trip report was one that led me to SPMartir. Because of your post -- I got the experience. Muchas gracias amigo. Serious. Thanks.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2012 at 08:09 PM

Trip reports are the best!

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2012 at 01:59 PM

De nada, amigo. I'm so glad that someone else got to enjoy this slice of heaven, so different from the rest of Baja.

Quote:
You're trip report was one that led me to SPMartir. Because of your post -- I got the experience. Muchas gracias amigo. Serious. Thanks.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.â€
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 10:31 AM
GE KML file: Observatorio Nacional San Pedro Martir

This should work if you simply click on this Google Earth KML file.

Ateo's Baja Nomad trip report

If not, right-click this link to download it & save it to your own computer; then double-click the file on your computer to open it using Google Earth software.

PM me is you have problems so that I correct them.

1400 pixel image here. San Felipe is on the horizon beyond the famous hilltop. The observatory is behind the two ridge lines to protect against ambient light sources from the San Felipe "metropolitan" area.

[Edited on 2012-10-8 by bryanmckenzie]

[Edited on 2012-10-8 by bryanmckenzie]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 07:08 PM

Very cool with snow on the ground, even! Hey Bryan, please see u2u about helping me with a GE map.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 07:22 PM

Was able to see it on the 1400 pixel image link. Pretty cool. Is that San Felipe on the ocean center screen? I wasn't able to see it in person from the peaks.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Was able to see it on the 1400 pixel image link. Pretty cool. Is that San Felipe on the ocean center screen? I wasn't able to see it in person from the peaks.

Yes... and correct, Diablo Mountain is between the observatories and San Felipe (as Bryan said, it is to block out the city lights).

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.