Youth is wasted on the young!

Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
I thought there was way tooo much advertising.:bounce::bounce:

I agree, comitan. I thought the advertisements were a little much, also.

I wonder why the video was removed. hmmmmmm.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I missed the video.

Where was it posted, Blanca?

Not Blanca, but I believe the video was posted on YouTube. However, I just did a search and it's not there not.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 09:17 AM

The tournament was Part II and was posted as well as Part I on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?=5_MXDsadeiw

The feelings about the video are running pretty high, but after watching, it was great because it reminded me what I do not like about tournaments. I like Abreojos and La Bocana, but truly prefer them in there more natural settings. Others like the promotion and fanfare and that is OK as it just depends on what you want. So both Rts551 and Surfdoc can be right and probably are.

After spending a week in La Bocana, a friend and I were commenting on how "Old Style Baja" the whole experience was and how much fun we had. As we were crossing the flats north of town, we looked up and saw what looked like a Caravan of more vehicles than you can believe. We both started cussing and swearing and figured we had a good depression coming on after the anger. Well, as it turns out, it was the carnival and all the people coming in to set up for Fiesta La Bocana, so we had a good laugh and decided that it would not be a great idea to come back the following weekend with all the festivities going on.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
The tournament was Part II and was posted as well as Part I on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?=5_MXDsadeiw

The feelings about the video are running pretty high, but after watching, it was great because it reminded me what I do not like about tournaments. I like Abreojos and La Bocana, but truly prefer them in there more natural settings. Others like the promotion and fanfare and that is OK as it just depends on what you want. So both Rts551 and Surfdoc can be right and probably are.

After spending a week in La Bocana, a friend and I were commenting on how "Old Style Baja" the whole experience was and how much fun we had. As we were crossing the flats north of town, we looked up and saw what looked like a Caravan of more vehicles than you can believe. We both started cussing and swearing and figured we had a good depression coming on after the anger. Well, as it turns out, it was the carnival and all the people coming in to set up for Fiesta La Bocana, so we had a good laugh and decided that it would not be a great idea to come back the following weekend with all the festivities going on.

The tournament was part of the overall 3 day town and independence day festival. Still old style unless you believe that towns should not have festivals. The quenn was shown in the video. lets criticize her. Should we all take shots at the horse races....or how about the band and dance...thats probably ripe for a few shots. How about the games for the kids on the beach? It seems to me that it is pretty easy for people to criticize something they know nothing about. The residents that saw the comments on this forum (there are a few lurkers) were insulted which is why I took the video off.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

The tournament was part of the overall 3 day town and independence day festival. Still old style unless you believe that towns should not have festivals. The quenn was shown in the video. lets criticize her. Should we all take shots at the horse races....or how about the band and dance...thats probably ripe for a few shots. How about the games for the kids on the beach? It seems to me that it is pretty easy for people to criticize something they know nothing about. The residents that saw the comments on this forum (there are a few lurkers) were insulted which is why I took the video off.

I am not disagreeing with you. I think it is great that Abreojos had a tournament and have attended several of them. The flavor that was communicated by the video was different than my perception of what went on at the weekend of the tournament but then I am just not the party type of fisherman.

I know fisherman who would travel two or three days to be a part of that kind of atmoshpere and that is wonderful and I truly hope that everyone has a great time. I , on the other hand, prefer a more tranquil time on the water , not overrun by hyperactive fishermen who forget etiquette and manners in the name of catching a fish for their moment of fame. I am one of the co-sponsors and directors of a tournament held in Santa Rosalia but I very seldom or ever actually fish in any of those tournaments as it is just not my style.

I can not speak for Surfdoc as I do not know him well, but I got the feeling he was responding to the "party atmoshpere" as in comparison to "usual tranquility" and I think there is room for both and neither side needs to get defensive about the others feelings or opinions.

I have attended all of the Governor's Cup tournaments that were held in our area, and I did notice, as a general rule, that the Mexicans, Clicerio included, are a little less loud, flamboyant, and more serene than Mike, The Gritz, Ritz. But it is probably a little difficult to come into an area and get a "quick understanding" of the culture.

[Edited on 10-4-2012 by Pescador]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

These small towns are all very different during fiesta time --- and when it is not fiesta time, they are all fairly quiet and laid back --- not sure why anyone would think they are much different, except Abreojos is much smaller. Ni modo.

I would like to take a very friendly shot at the outfits worn by the queen contestents --- they were original, sent some great messages, and were GREAT. I LOVED them. I am taking a wild guess, but I would guess Chelo and her women's group were behind it?

Speaking of Chelo, I am also guessing that the IB/San Diego lifeguards are headed your way. After a few years in the planning, they finally made it to BA this week for a three day training -- 22 of them. We are not there, but local friends are sending us photos and reports. It is a very good thing.

And yes, people are often surprised as to how many people are lurkers --- some read and speak English well, they just don't like to write in English.

You have been to the BA festival, and I hope one of these days we attend your festival.

[Edited on 10-5-2012 by DianaT]

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 04:21 PM

Have you sobered up yet!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 04:33 PM

The folks in Abreojos are always so friendly and make an extra effort to integrate everyone into their festivities. The 50th was a great one.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 06:17 PM

Great. see them then.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 07:44 AM

One of the things I most like is that Clicerio speaks both English and Spanish, which makes it perfect for those who cometo participate in the tournment but who are not fluent in Spanish. Mexicans here always seem to endeavor to welcome all gringoesat the tournements .... I can't imagine anyone being rude in a competition. It just isn't their nature.Everyone I know goes to have fun.

UDO: Ralph removed the link to the video- originally, it was in the very first post.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 07:51 AM

we had a blast at the Bocana Fiesta last year! fishing was slow but that's how it goes....

sorry i missed the video, i think!

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 03:28 PM

Stan (Surfdoc), check your U2U!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.