BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Francisquito, Gas, Beer, Food, Beds??
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DEVEAU
Bajatripper, thank you for the email address, Guadalupe from Rancho Piedras Blancas replied to my email and said they would have everything we need.

I love San Francisquito, but are always looking for something different, and we kind of wanted a longer ride from BofLA. Will report when we get back.

Our planned loop is San Quintin-Catavina-BofLA-Piedras Blancas_???-Catavina- and back to the truck in San Quintin. Bunch of the Bill Nicols stuff along the way.

We stopped at Rcho Piedra Blanca and were very impressed by the place. Nice campground area and also nice cabins starting at 500 pesos for two people, larger ones available. People were very pleasant and the ranch is in a lovely setting. We also stopped at Rcho Escondido which was likewise an impressive place but didn't really seem to be ready for guests unlike Piedra Blanca.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 08:29 AM

recent report on BBP was pretty bleak.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

DK, it is unfortunate the good folks there did not run up and make you feel like you were as important as you wanted to be....they may have just been showing you what "Tranquillo" really looks like...

Actually, in fairness to DavidK, he isn't the first to make this observation about the cold reception received at San Francisquito. I've come across his sentiments about that place a few times, most recently in "Under the Volcano," a book which, ironically, was given to me by DavidK.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DEVEAU
Bajatripper, thank you for the email address, Guadalupe from Rancho Piedras Blancas replied to my email and said they would have everything we need.

Happy to have been of help to you, Deveau. A little background about Piedras Blancas that I found out by talking to Mr. Villavicencio, the co-owner. They are a working ranch, producing machaca commerically (their brand is 'Piedras Blancas'), which they dry in a screen room so as to keep the flies off it (never seen a ranch do that before). Although they'd like to expand the brand further, their demand is more than they can produce at present, so it's only available regionally.

I was curious as to how a rancher could get the money necessary to do the things they've done there, so I asked. He told me that the government has a program to help local people get into tourism, and his eco-lodge is the result. As Kurt said, they have a very nice setup out there.

Be sure to inquire about the local cave paintings, just a bit down the road. DavidK's summer trip report has some photos of them, if you'd care to see what you'd visit beforehand.

The main ranch house

Solar heat for the showers

Inside the head

Dining facility, kitchen

Machaca processing area

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2012 at 08:33 AM

Wonderful photos and report Bajatripper!

The book mentioned earlier is Mike Humfreville's 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' and I have over 100 copies for sale...

Here is the ad for the book on the Nomad Classified Ads forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56565

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The book mentioned earlier is Mike Humfreville's 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' and I have over 100 copies for sale...

Here is the ad for the book on the Nomad Classified Ads forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56565

David, for once you disappoint! I gave you the perfect opening to post some of your photos of the cave paintings, and you didn't.:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

David, for once you disappoint! I gave you the perfect opening to post some of your photos of the cave paintings, and you didn't.:lol:

Correcting the title you used: "Under the Volcano" seemed more important, in this case... :lol::lol::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

Correcting the title you used: "Under the Volcano" seemed more important, in this case... :lol::lol::light:

Yes, but he DID spell "under the Volcano" correctly.:lol::lol:

[Edited on 11-18-2012 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 11:28 AM

Tripper---------

Many thanks for the excellent photos and reports on the Rancho's at Piedras Blancas and Escondito west of San Francisquito beach---------those are my kind of places, located in beautiful Country, and I was not even aware of either of them. Good options to the devastated resort on the beach. That general part of Baja has always fasinated me, and is so spectacular and secluded, so far. Reminds me of the Baja of old when I first started coming down (in the '50's).

Thanks again.

Barry
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.