BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: A surf fishing adventure...
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 01:29 PM

Hi all,

This is Capt. Kirk (now Finchaser2020 on Baja Nomad).

It was the one who did the video that Bajaandy was so nice to post here.

Very nice to hear all the comments. We had just a wonderful time on this trip, even with the truck incident. In fact, the truck mishap actually defined the trip, and really educated us on just what Baja is all about.
A lot of people on the other boards had asked just how we got stuck. This was my response......

Seeing as how we were rookies in the driving on the beach scene, we were not aware of the lowering tire pressure trick, but you can bet that were are now.

But that would probably not have helped us in the spot we got stuck. It was the wet shell bed that got us.

Below is a picture of the exact spot we got stuck. I pulled the photo from a video frame that I took heading down the beach the day before. This photo is looking south.

The square shows the large rock that we ended up tying the truck to in order to secure in and move it up the beach. The circle shows where the truck got stuck. Now the day before there were no shells right were we got stuck. There are shells higher up the beach, but not in the hole. I believe it was the shells higher up the beach that filled that hole.

During one of the two high tides between when we drove past this spot, and the time we got stuck, that small drop off in the circle filled with shells. So it was a hole that was filled with shells and the tide was rising and the bottom of the hole was filled with water. We sunk like a rock when we went over it. Like I have mentioned, it looked no different from the other hundreds of shell beds we drove over during the week. Looking south past the hole you can see how it is level, then heading north you run over the hole. Unfortunately for us, it had filled with shells and water. Lower tire pressure probably would not have helped us here, we just sunk too deep.

The darn hole was the reason we stopped in the first place. Caught some nice corbina there...

I will know what to look for next time....and there will be many more next times.

Live and learn. Would not trade the trip for anything!

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 02:32 PM

Welcome aboard Kirk. You're just the kind we need on this board.

Post lots of pics, ask lots of questions, and share those tips and tricks for shorefishing.

See you on the beach......

No worries
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 04:17 PM

Welcome to Nomad Capt. Kirk!

Can you tell us how the Mexican auto insurance took care of you guys (if you even had it or called the agent/ what company)? Did they come to Punta Prieta and do an examination and total the Tundra?

Your video was just wonderful and your moods were amazing considering that Baja exerted such a hefty fine for your visit!

You guys have the Viva Baja spirit! :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 04:58 PM

David,

I did have Mexican Insurance. I believe it was ABC and I purchased it through the Discover Baja Website.

It was a very difficult procedure to deal with them. By the time I was at a phone where I could call, we were in El Socorro. I had talked to my good friend in the US who is a State Farm Agent and he had researched the policy from top to bottom, and informed me that the damage would not be covered. Water damage was excluded.

So the hours that I actually spent on the phone with the insurance reps, getting transfered from here to there and back again, was just an exercise in frustration. I needed to make a claim before I left the country, but I was not with the truck and it was difficult explaining the whole incident to them to begin with. So basically, I just considered it a loss.

I am not really all that upset about the truck. I got another truck after getting back in the states.

This new truck will surely become a Baja veteran, and hopefully a long lived one..

Kirk
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 05:03 PM

Understood...

Glad you now know about deflating tires for sand driving!

In July, 2010, I posted this:

We returned to our favorite beach in Baja last Saturday (July 17, 2010) with a heavy load of camping gear including two full ice chests and 6 gallon tank of water.

Two weeks earlier we discovered with the heat and heavy load, the Traction Control in H4 alone couldn't keep us moving (as it had last winter with a light load).

Again, we did cross the expanse of sand to the water's edge, but the truck struggled in the sand. I also tried A-TRAC in L4, but it still wanted to dig in. Once the air pressure was dropped to 15 PSI, I moved on with ease (in H4).

I took photos where I deflated the tires and seeing the two sides is pretty dramatic.

32 PSI the truck was digging in and slightly sideways on the steep beach. Once deflated to 15 PSI, the truck 'floated' on the sand and drove straight. I circled back to take these photos.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 05:29 PM

One never stops learning.:light::light::light:
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 07:13 PM

Hey Kirk, welcome. Thanks for letting me post your video here. Glad you decided to join the Nomad family. I think you'll like this board... lot's of good info and plenty of interesting topics.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 07:16 PM

Thanks for posting the video bajaandy and welcome to the board Kirk. That video made my Sunday afternoon enjoyable. I ate lunch and watched this journey.

I too wondered about the insurance issue.

I'm amazed the truck even ran (for a while) after the dunking it took.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 08:51 PM

"I'm amazed the truck even ran (for a while) after the dunking it took."

yeah, no chiite! it is a toyota tho.....

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 10:26 PM

Thanks for sharing this great video and welcome aboard.

Got a question for you.....you obviously know how to read your water. You mentioned that you saw a "hole" in the pic of the beach where you thought there might be good fishing. What do you look for??? I don't know how to read surf for shore fishing. On second thought I will post this question under another topic and not bogart this one.

Iflyfish
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 10:30 PM

Finchaser,

How useful was that neckgaitor that Marshall was wearing? I see him with it in the beginning of the video but he's not wearing it later on?

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Finchaser,

How useful was that neckgaitor that Marshall was wearing? I see him with it in the beginning of the video but he's not wearing it later on?

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/

Very useful, once you get comfortable with them.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 11:42 AM

Leccion aprendida- no fotografiar el dia de los muertos!!! (Lesson learned- don't photograph the day of the dead!!!) Thanks for the video- great work!!
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 07:40 PM

WOW!! Adventure is correct. One for the memory books for sure. So happy to see the great attitude and the go with the flow cause that's all you can do sometimes.

I thought there was no way I would watch it all but enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for sharing you made some baja friends for life on this adventure.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 08:34 PM
Saladin's Whelk

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidT
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Finchaser,

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/

Very useful, once you get comfortable with them.

Got mine today. Thank you.

SALADINWHELK.jpg - 50kB

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 07:14 PM

Really interesting! You guys showed class despite the loss of the truck. It was apparent you enjoyed your trip.

bacquito
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 12:01 PM

We both wear the buff for protection from the sun. I, being a fair skinned gringo, have had a few bouts with skin cancer. We started using them at a lake in Mexico called Baccarac a few years back. We fish there during some hot weather.

The buff takes a little bit of getting used to, but after awhile, you can hardly do without it. Lost mine for a half day once, and all I could think about was finding the darn thing. You would actually think that they would make you hotter, but they do not. It actually cools you down because it keeps the sun from baking on you. I buy the ones with UPF sun protection material, same with my shirts.

Wish I had been using one for the past 40 years.

Kirk
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 02:36 PM

Well we have pretty much scheduled another trip down the Pacific side of Baja for fishing and learning more about the people and culture of Baja California.

It looks like the beginning of October this year. Not sure how many days, but it will be at least 10. Will make it to at least La Bocana, but are thinking on traveling a bit further south this time.

With all the things we learned on our first trip, we will be much more observant of the high tide mark , deflate while on the sand, and carry much more gear relating to off roading.

As usual I will be filming and taking pictures with reckless abandon, and will be putting together another video of this years experience. You just never know what Baja has in store for you.

Cannot wait to meet back up with all those that we met and helped us out on our last adventure.

Kirk

[Edited on 8-27-2013 by Finchaser2020]
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 03:27 PM

I cant wait to read the trip report Kirk. A quick question, did you fish sand crabs like we do up in San Diego?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 04:20 PM

Just finished watching the 1 hour video a second time and it was just as interesting as the first.

Hope you had good insurance. I wonder if comprehensive coverage covers a submerged truck.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.