BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: your favorites in the SanFelipe-Peurtecitos area??
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Sure but you will need to discover them as I can't think of any where a 2WD can go along Mex. 5.

...huh?....went through in the late 80's in 2wd,
,,,,took a long time,got stuch once in a big arroyo,
,,hadn't seen anyone for -ages-,
but a pickup with 3 amigo's came along almost immediately!
..they pulled us out,,wouldn't take $

....gave me a big lesson in the magic which is Baja!

You are asking about rock art site locations near San Felipe/ Puertecitos... and I am only aware of some in the canyons facing Valle Chico on the east slope of the San Pedro Martir mountains, for which you should really invest in a 4WD off road vehicle to get near. Others may be in the area, but you will need to discover them! Get Bruce Barber's book '...Of Sea and Sand' for details on the backcountry around San Felipe.

...any picto-tour recomendations?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sure but you will need to discover them as I can't think of any where a 2WD can go along Mex. 5.

...huh?....went through in the late 80's in 2wd,
,,,,took a long time,got stuch once in a big arroyo,
,,hadn't seen anyone for -ages-,
but a pickup with 3 amigo's came along almost immediately!
..they pulled us out,,wouldn't take $

....gave me a big lesson in the magic which is Baja!

You are asking about rock art site locations near San Felipe/ Puertecitos... and I am only aware of some in the canyons facing Valle Chico on the east slope of the San Pedro Martir mountains, for which you should really invest in a 4WD off road vehicle to get near. Others may be in the area, but you will need to discover them! Get Bruce Barber's book '...Of Sea and Sand' for details on the backcountry around San Felipe.

...any picto-tour recomendations?

Just search Nomad... here are some threads about the canyons with petros, palms and more:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=14274

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:54 AM

.....any boat rentals in the area?

...or friendly nomad-with-boat who could do a bit of video filming on the water?
...I'd be happy to cover some costs.

.....I'm reviving a fun little sailboat,,want to shoot some promo vid's
.........www.gohoot.com .......old website

....also wondering about possible kayak rental.

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
.....any boat rentals in the area?

...or friendly nomad-with-boat who could do a bit of video filming on the water?
...I'd be happy to cover some costs.

.....I'm reviving a fun little sailboat,,want to shoot some promo vid's
.........www.gohoot.com .......old website

....also wondering about possible kayak rental.

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by micah202]

Look up Dale 'gonetobaja' on Nomad... runs a sportfishing guide service out of Puertecitos... helped with the dive to find the sunken ship Erik and the victims... last post from gonetobaja was last November: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63707#pid7689...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:02 PM

There is a handful of Citizens that would be happy to accommodate you....that are located in and near Puertecitos. There is a large fish packing warehouse right before Puertecitos.......go in there and ask around. The surrounding area has many fishermen that could use a client.

Stop by that Hot Dog joint that is named Cow Patty.....again that is located right before the Puertecitos turn off. Go in there and ask the operators for reference. Buy a beer to support them. Dont mention my name to them.....they will start digging a elongated hole out back ;)

Go past Puertecitos 4.5 miles, look for a house that has a rather large sail boat parked alongside of it. The first house after turning in...is well known to have their boat avail for clients. You can also ask around for Sid there......he will be happy to help you out. Tell him Deno from Ocotillo advised you.

Kayak rental.......forget that.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
There is a handful of Citizens that would be happy to accommodate you....that are located in and near Puertecitos. There is a large fish packing warehouse right before Puertecitos.......go in there and ask around. The surrounding area has many fishermen that could use a client.

Stop by that Hot Dog joint that is named Cow Patty.....again that is located right before the Puertecitos turn off. Go in there and ask the operators for reference. Buy a beer to support them. Dont mention my name to them.....they will start digging a elongated hole out back ;)

Go past Puertecitos 4.5 miles, look for a house that has a rather large sail boat parked alongside of it. The first house after turning in...is well known to have their boat avail for clients. You can also ask around for Sid there......he will be happy to help you out. Tell him Deno from Ocotillo advised you.

...not sure whether to thank you or change my plans!

....sounds like a mexican setup!?

:O:O:O
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

...not sure whether to thank you or change my plans!

....sounds like a mexican setup!?

:O:O:O

:-)
You'll find everyone on the road of the Cortez super helpful and friendly. The Cow Patty is a great place to hang out at.....

Make sure that we at the BN here get a trip report from you, yes?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 12:09 AM

.......okay,,thanks fez!:)

...yeh I guess I missed that last year,'cept for the 'lost' van distraction:(

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by micah202]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 11:35 AM

heh,,my 22y,o, son booked a flight from LAX ~ a week before I'll be ready to leave the SanFelipe area,,,,,
,,,,,,,is there a bus that'll take him to the TJ border,,,,how long's the ride?,,schedule, pricing??

,,,and any suggestions on the best way to get up to LAx for a mid-day international flight,,,,suggestions for place to O'night??

...thanks for your ideas!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 04:02 PM
.....had a good trip,,

.........had a good trip,,....but too short as always.
....it's actually warmer here in vancouver than north Baja these days,,,similar temperatures,,,stronger winds there,,but we went for sailing,,so that was fine.

....crossed in TJ,,,hit the fish market ,,Yummmm,,as usual
,,and on to the Hot Spring campground at Golfcourse road,s of Ensenada...........it's a great way to 're-humanize' after a long drive,,and re-frame into baja-mode!
........the hotspring road was in fine shape,,,there's absolutely NO worries for the ~30minute dirt-road drive with ~7 creek-crossings,each creek is well groomed with stones and level,,water ~4-6'' deep,,,I was driving a very loaded 2wd minivan,,have about 4-5'' clearance,,,-anyone- can make it,,,,and soooo worthwhile.....we had the place completely to ourselves.

.....finding,,and crossing to SanFelipe was a breeze,,finally replaced the rear shocks,,great pricing
...the town's pretty quiet,,,sounds like they also have lost their spring-break crowd ,,,so I don't envy all those businesses along the malecon,,sitting there day after day waiting for a customer,,,had an overpriced dinner there,,,recommend finding
local eateries in town,,,,,had a GREAT chicken meal at the S entrance to down,,don't remember the name of it,,,but it had a coke sign as it's main banner.

....driving south from SanFelipe,,as a wild-camper(find a nice spot on beach and camp),,I was sorely dissapointed with the blocked accesses all the way through Gonzaga Bay,,,but I guess it's much the same on the westcoast this far north,,,the great wild camping starts at Mulege.

.....the vado's between felipe and peurtecitos are something to behold!!!,,sure glad I replaced the shocks,,some vado's are not marked,,while others have a sign,,no dip!-I love baja!

...the road from peurtecitos almost to Gonzaga is among the -very best- I've seen in baja,,the drive finishes off with typical washboard,,and it sounds like it continues that way out to the #1,,,,,found the worst ride was to go sloooow over the washboard,,better to speed up!

...we ended up staying at the Beluga campground,, heard from a fellow that Rancho Grande was better in some way,,but was happy to stay put...once we got the pricing sorted out to $10/night seasonal rate,as Grande was charging,,,initially Beluga had wanted $25!...the caretaker at Beluga was very quiet and seemed a bit unfriendly,,but I assume he's an offseason caretaker,,,and prefers solitude.
.....the locals in Gonzaga are very helpful,,good fish-bargains from the many fishers,,,great fish or prawns every night!!

.....we had some really good sailing for 4 days,got used to the new boat,got some videos shot--objectives met('business' trip),,,and carried on back north---a bit cold at night to stick around longer,,woke up to 39degrees one morning!

.....drove out to Mexicali,,was surprised how difficult it was to find a calimax or other big grocery chain amongst everything else,,,missed stocking beans/salsa for back home!

........hopefully next year I'll cut a longer swath of time and get back to the south for a month or two,,always love baja!

....oh yeah,,my son was impressed to see that you don't have to pass through gunfire in TJ,,like he heard!! ;D

cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 04:26 PM

Cow Patty, is Rich W still running the place? Went through high school with him
If you see him say hi from Cliff in buena vista,bcd thanks
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffh
Cow Patty, is Rich W still running the place? Went through high school with him
If you see him say hi from Cliff in buena vista,bcd thanks

........HUH???:?:

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 07:11 PM

Cow Patty is a place just north of Puertecitos... I don't know why he thinks she is you?

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Cow Patty is a place just north of Puertecitos... I don't know why he thinks she is you?

ah,,okayyyy
...didn't stop there,,don't like hotdogs

..drove through Peurtecitos,,,got kinda turned off by the big 'Privato' signage,,,,drove on.
.......Gonzaga Bay is a nice place for north-baja,,,seemed great for sailing,,,not too long a beach when the tide's down:P

[Edited on 2-17-2013 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 12:33 AM

Hot dogs? Oh, maybe that is what is advertised on Cow Patty's?
Never stopped there... it was closed most times we went by, and when it was open we were not hungry or thirsty, as we had just left our camp at Shell Island (30 miles north) to head south.

There used to be this IH Scout across from her place:

This is in the town of Puertecitos...

[Edited on 2-17-2013 by David K]

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 09:19 AM

...hmmm,,I notice they spelt 'puertecitos' differently!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.