BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Worst Baja Camping Experience Yet........
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 06:32 PM

That is very kind of you. Thanks Dennis.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Funny thing is they wanted us to camp on their spot but I felt it was a little too tight. When I backed out to try and move to the new site, I backed into a tree branch, broke a window on my camper shell and dented the truck. I should've just stayed on my extended family's site from the beginning.

Sorry this happened to you, Jon. Wish you'd had my phone number. You folks would have been welcome here. Plenty of room....and cold beer.

Keep it in mind for next time.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 06:35 PM

What a Bummer!!!! We had that happen several times over the many years. We never camped in organized campgrounds, so were always on the open beach, usually far from anybody, and usually just men on our trips. If somebody came and started to move in close to us we had several ways of discouraging that. If the wife and kids were with them, once we just stripped and ran around naked-----that worked after some loud words they moved down the beach. Some times we just whooped and hollered and acted crazy and threw firecrackers in their general vacinity. A couple of times we just decided to chill out, made friends with them, and everything worked out fine from then on. (That was the best solution, I think)

I would not know what to do in an organized campground if the owners would not address it. Maybe just act crazy and depraved, making loud unusual vocal noises would work----I have done that in USFS campgrounds in the States with some success, but my wife did not approve (until they actually moved).

It is probably a cultural thing if Mexicanos are involved.

Barry
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 06:38 PM

And the damaged truck, shell and window. Bad weekend for sure.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 06:40 PM

You are right about it being the price we pay for a good time Woody, my friend.

I'll post my trip report maņana if I get time and I PROMISE TO NOT SOUND SO DEPRESSED THEN. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
at least Neptune granted you a pardon and let you thru the border nightmare early! i'm thinking the more you think about it the better you'll feel. if the surf was pumping and you had a great weekend you'd still be in line.

it's the price we pay for a good time.....:cool:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

No excuse for rudeness. Not culture....not nuthin. They knew what they were doing.....all from a position of bullying power.

Now....back to this air purifying method: http://www.udap.com/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

No excuse for rudeness. Not culture....not nuthin. They knew what they were doing.....all from a position of bullying power.

Now....back to this air purifying method: http://www.udap.com/

"bully's" would be a problem, I suppose. I just never looked at it that way, and probably would not recognize "bullying". But even bully's don't know what to do with apparently crazy people, so they just gave up and moved on. It was never a problem, really, and I never got mad-----but certainly caused them to move. Whatever works.

I love your Grizz spray, Dennis----------THAT would work!!!

Barry
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 08:42 PM
Rude People

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I had a similiar experience.... camping with my kids in a very empty place and some dilberts showed up about midnight, unpacked and started partying hard.
I asked them to chill because we were really established and even asked them to move.
I got the predictable answer and I chilled because I did not want to make an ugly scene uglier in front of my kids.

Right about daybreak I got up and noticed they were passed out half out of their tents and there were a LOT of empty bottles laying around.

I thought that would be a great time for my kids to have a screaming contest.... nothing like 4 kids aged 5-8 with those amazingly high pitched voices seeing who could scream loudest and longest from 5 feet away.... good lord it was funny!
The look on their faces was priceless and the pain in their eyes was even better.
They boogied in about 1/2 hour when they saw that I was just going to sit back, enjoy my coffee and sweeten the contest pot with prizes.

Soul Patch that's too funny. Unfortunately Bad Behavior knows no Class or Ethnic Boundaries . Karma is usually not too far behind some of those types. Then there's the ones that don't even realize they are Stupid . Like they say " You Can't Fix Stupid"
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 08:43 PM

Can understand all too well...we had to shift a family who was annoying a whole site last season. We were able to get them to move their extraneous stuff off our spot so we could pull our rig in after a 7 day haul. We served as a buffer for our neighbours who were fed up with the noise and abuse. I tried to get to know theses folks, but...they were tough hombres to get to know. Eventually felt sorry for them as they were one unhappy bunch.

May your next trip make up for the aggravation,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 08:47 PM

We used to gunkhole all over the san juan islands up in washington in our boat....one fall day we pulled into a marine park and dropped the hook, took our dinghy to shore and set up camp in a campground of around 25 sites or so all around this little secluded island...not another camper in site....around 5ish in the afternoon, as we were cooking our evening meal, a group of 4 kayakers came ashore and given all the other empty campsites on the island, decided to set up RIGHT NEXT to us!...well, seems mr. mike, with his two adult beverages in him,let the kayakers know how he felt about "personal space"....they moved...in a hurry...there are folks out there that just don't get it!!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I had a similiar experience.... camping with my kids in a very empty place and some dilberts showed up about midnight, unpacked and started partying hard.
I asked them to chill because we were really established and even asked them to move.
I got the predictable answer and I chilled because I did not want to make an ugly scene uglier in front of my kids.

Right about daybreak I got up and noticed they were passed out half out of their tents and there were a LOT of empty bottles laying around.

I thought that would be a great time for my kids to have a screaming contest.... nothing like 4 kids aged 5-8 with those amazingly high pitched voices seeing who could scream loudest and longest from 5 feet away.... good lord it was funny!
The look on their faces was priceless and the pain in their eyes was even better.
They boogied in about 1/2 hour when they saw that I was just going to sit back, enjoy my coffee and sweeten the contest pot with prizes.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
mr. mike, with his two adult beverages in him,let the kayakers know how he felt about "personal space"....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Good for you, Mike. :lol:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 10:29 PM

Cool thread .... just about everyone has one or two or ...... :lol::lol: .. fell in a cactus patch once ... that hurt

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2013 at 11:19 PM

The worst camping experience I've in 35 years of coming to baja was at Daggett's in BOLA

http://www.campdaggetts.info/

A group pulled up next to our campsite and starting to tune their motorcycles. That went on for hours because one didn't run right. They would gun the accelerator at different rates, adjust something, then gun it again. Suddenly the place had the ambiance of a nascar track. Then they started racing them up and down the rows between campsites. Even when they left the campground you could hear the racket of those machines from the town to La Gringa.

Trying to sleep angry is just not healthy.

Have to agree with Barry about boondock camping but running around naked to discourage campers seems extreme and not something I could do.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 05:16 AM

I've noticed that noise, dust, smoke, litter, pee, feces, fire hazards, fireworks, untrained pets, obnoxious children, dangerous driving, blocked views, lack of personal space, and lack of privacy...well, they don't seem to bother some people a bit.

When you've finally had enough and actually go over (like ten feet) to explain your perspective, they all stop and stare at you with vacant-but-wary prairie-dog gazes.
Just like a prairie dog, they are waiting to see if you pose an actual threat. Talk is just talk, and won't register.

Good luck with that.
I move at the first sign.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 05:54 AM

I use the car as a buffer on one side of the camp area. On the far side of the car I dig a little in some areas and then pile up the loose sand to look like these are small burial sites...then I shove the camp shovel in one of the piles and put the TP on the handle...tends to keep the potential neighbors at bay for a quiet night sleep. If there is extraneous noise that is disturbing my peace I might walk over to one of the piles and pour some beer out of my bladder for all to observe in that obnoxious group.
On the other side of my 'camp zone' goes the fir pit with lots of wood piled and chairs set out around it...this set up gives me a good amount of privacy.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 08:07 AM

mexitron and I were posted up at a somewhat remote surf spot, with nobody else around. truck pulls in right next us. at least he had the courtesy of asking if they could camp right next us. we pointed out that there was plenty of room on the point; that we go there to get away from people not camp right next to them-especially when there was plenty of wide open space. guy was a little peeed by our response. can't remember if they stayed or not. seems like they went up the coast a bit more...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 08:16 AM

A noisy generator is as good as a fence. If you see a car coming five miles away, pull off the muffler and turn it on.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Have to agree with Barry about boondock camping but running around naked to discourage campers seems extreme and not something I could do.

LOL---------well, it was 10pm and we had several cervesas and were feeling no pain when these folks pulled up. It seemed appropriate at the time. In hind-site------------not so cool, but it worked like a charm. Ugly-Americans dealing with ugly-Mexicanos in this case.

Barry
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 09:46 AM

Lots of great anti-personal space tactics here. I'm taking notes. Diggin holes and placing TP on a shovel is my favorite.

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2013 at 10:23 AM

I guess I've been lucky. A couple of the major holidays at the beach gets crazy. Thousands of Mexican campers arrive on a beach that normally has one or two overnighters (even on the weekends.) They camp inches from the palapa and many party all night. What has worked for me is when they start putting up the tents, portable showers etc I introduce myself. I tell them to have fun. I let them know that my dog is friendly but she is an "American" dog and can't handle chicken bones etc. I communicate some basic desires ie please don't pound nails into my palapa to hold your tarps in place. On the other hand I offer them a compressor to inflate their mattresses and kids toys, a large hammer to secure their tent stakes and a few large garbage bags. Their all night parties generally only last a couple of days and while disturbing they are not the end of the world. I think the major difference is the campers have been large extended families (sometimes as many as 50 to the group)looking to have a fun vacation vs a few teenagers looking to show off. Like Americans some are more respectful than others but in general even the really large groups can be good temporary neighbors and a great source of delicious food since they are more than willing to share!! While I would prefer that they give me more space I keep telling myself it is not my beach!!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.