BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: anyone ever lost a nice fish to a sea lion?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 10:01 AM
Revenge is sweet

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCTdJ-6ijc‎

Bob Durrell
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 07:43 PM
furbags

Quote:
it's their ocean! let the fur bags be! i think they are cute and make the ocean a much more interesting place.

you fishermen that want to kill sea lions should kill humans first, as humans (especially humans driving trawlers and seiners) take much more fish than sea lions!
HOLA,SIR,,The answer is not that easy..its a very complex situlation and I myself don't have the perfect answer....But,,without any debate,,I can tell you that the furbag problem is/has been out of control on the west coast for many,,many years,,due to killing of the great whites and orca's is the biggest reason...IMO and I agree that NOAA is not doing there job !!!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 11:32 PM

A few weeks ago fishing off La Guardia with Igor Galvin. Interestingly there was a colony of sea lions right where we were but we had no trouble with them all day. Igor said it was because they were a bit "wild" and not "trained". Last drop of the day I am bringing up a yellowtail (and after fishing all day for yellowtail at 200+ feet you KNOW how my arms felt) and suddenly it took a whacky ZING and Igor said "sea lion and it will come up (points) right about there and shake it at you"...sure enough...EXACTLY where he was pointing up came the jerk with my yellowtail in its mouth, shook it, and was gone. He said it was because we had gone a ways south and those lions were a bit "smarter"...or whatever the word is.

I wasn't happy. And I know there can be laws enacted supposedly to help nature that do the opposite... but best to get to the core of the problem and not bomb them or shoot them... however it can be arranged I'd prefer a great white or orca to nail them as opposed any laws or regulations...or peeed off anglers.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:31 AM
thats natcho fish!!!!

Nice grouper 3 miles north east of Point Lobo, Carmen Island. I guess Point Lobo says it all. A friend maintains that seals are proof that bears F fish.

EdZ
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:33 AM
Furbags

Hola,a few years ago some university in Washington state did a study at the entrance to the hood canel..and came up with decent way to calculate how much food (fish) a seal ate in a day and came up with the number of 50lbs a day...but after you spend a lot of time on the water and see how many there are and see the problems of over population (humans & furbags) I know most folks dont have a clue to the level of the furbag problem is in a lot of places..its not something you see on a tv or newspaper...only us boys that live on the water Know the issues..and btw A marine bioloigist are book trained and don't know crap about the oceans as anyone that has spent their life out there and can read...After meeting countless MB this I can say with confidence

[Edited on 10-26-2013 by captkw]
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:59 AM
finish the thing

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
....how much food (fish) a seal ate in a day and came up with the number of 50lbs a day...
[Edited on 10-26-2013 by captkw]

Not like they eat a whole fish but tear up several, just my experience, your mileage may vary.

EdZ
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.