Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: La Florida-San Diego-La Paz & Back: Oct 29 - Nov 19
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 02:01 PM
Nov 1: Rosarito Irony: Blogging, Packing and Concrete Pavement Contruction

So after a noisy Halloween, my right neck cramps pretty badly after dinner about 9pm when I get back to the Rosarito apartment. I've had a nice meal. Tired. Neck hurts REALLY bad (on-going spinal/muscular issues for several decades). But, you know what, I've just purchased alot of cyclobezaprina (Flexoril for all you common folks, and figure that will take care of it. It does not. At 1am, I wake up in pain and I add naproxen to the c-cktail mix.

So at 7:00 I wake, a bit of pain, but after a hot shower on my neck, some coffee, the muscle spasm is starting to relax. I don't feel like I'll need to find a chiropractor and get a chiropractic adjustment.

Now I've arranged with BornFisher to stay at his place at Km-38, and not use my 4th free night at Dr. Avila's apartamentos, joining friends at Splash Restaurant & Bar near Km-51-ish for dinner and Bill's for the overnight. I can always fall back here if I need to, especially since I've got to go downstairs at 9am for a dental cleaning before part 2 of the crowns (the permanent crown).

As I'm cruising baja Nomad and updating, David, the very pleasant worker around here (many years) asks me if I could move my car out of the parking area. They've been doing a really nice sidewalk overcoat for several days and they are now going to rip out the driveway apron. No cars can go in or out until Monday. I gotta gets my car outta der within the hour.

Okay. No biggie. He offers me a shuttle alternate to park my car at the local university. I say, "Esta es no problema, amigo. I be staying with BornFisher tonight, returning for the dental work in the morning."

Serendipity! Thing work themselves out, sometimes for no apparent reason. Parked in the street. Finished today out online in the apartment. Some quick curios shopping. And, now you are stuck with me for the evening Bill. CYA at 5:00 pm at Km-38. Oh yeah, I'll also be shopping for stuff in the surf shop before "checking in" at your place. And dinner /drinks at Splash.

Thanks! You are a good Nomad.

PS - Let's talk about caravaning down to BOLA together and swimming with the whale sharks.

[Edited on 2013-11-7 by bryanmckenzie]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 09:03 PM

So "Tommy", where are you now? When are you going back to Fla?
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 07:01 AM

Great trip report and pictures.
My husband, Jerry and I, also live in Florida (Daytona Beach) with our Baja house at San Antonio Del Mar (on the ocean near Colonet).
We occasionally fly to San Diego from Orlando and drive our San Diego based Toyota 4Runner down, so we are familiar with the aerial views.. (awesome) but often drive across country so we can bring our two "children", Bella and Toogi (cats), who also love Baja. (Don't know why because they are strictly indoor cats maybe it is the big open spaces of our house there for their own impromptu Baja races). My last trip to Baja (April through September) Toogi was the scorpion slayer... not really, but they both let me know when they found one! After 10 scorpions... I think I finally got all of those uninvited guests.
Looking forward to your next trip report. Where in FL do you live?

Linda
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 12:53 PM

Hey Jack! Returning to Florida via Palm Springs on the 19th.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
So "Tommy", where are you now? When are you going back to Fla?

-Mark Twain
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 01:03 PM
Bahia de Los Angeles to Bahia Tortugas & Punta Prieta

Grabbing a small burrito for lunch and a wifi signal in Punta Prieta, after a howling wind last night in Bahie de los Angeles. Off to Bahia Tortuga today. Skipping the La Borja mission, and deciding to remain on pavement. Hey, it's someone else's car. Trip reports and pictures/videos shall be lagging behind due to lack of wifi connections.

Friday night over-nighted at BajaFisherman's place at K-38.
On Saturday, lunch at Tequila's in Ensenada with BajaDock and another nomad who shall remain nameless.
Saturday night at Coyote Cal's in Erindira.
Distributing flyers about missing Gary Patton.
Sunday night in BOLA, Las Hamacas motel. This morning as I was drying my hair with a towel, there was a-inch scorpion in my towel staring back at me.
The town was sooooo empty. I was the only Gringo I saw. But at a pull out before Colonet, a this large grey van pulls up next to me and what do you know, it's BajaFisherman! We'd planned to meet up at Guillermo's at sunset, but I did what I should not have done --- stopped to often and by Catavina, it was twilight, dark by Laguna Chapala --- driving at night. Arrived in BOLA after 8pm. Sorry I missed you Bill.

[Edited on 2013-11-6 by bryanmckenzie]

-Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 01:14 PM

Scorpions in your towel is a Baja comfort tradition!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 04:25 PM

Well Bryan, missed you again. Headed down Dec 2 for the season (4 months) in La Paz. Hopefully next time.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 05:04 PM

Bryan,
Good to meet you and hear about your Baja 2013 adventure.

How was Coyote Cal's? And how was the road out there?

Hope to catch more of your photos soon. Stay safe and have a blast down south. Holler for help on the return north. CHEERS.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 07:10 PM
Creature (dis)comforts

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

...or another reason to bring your own towels!

(Note to self: pack a black light...):light:

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 07:50 PM

Hey Bryon-- great trip report! I rolled into town (LA Bay) near dark and found Guillermos has been long gone. Like I said, it has been many years since I`ve been to LA Bay. Camped at Daggets, loved my location, but no water to shower put a blemish on things. Really can`t recommend Daggets.
Sooooooooooo............ the wind howled Sun night. Now it is Monday and the wind is still howling. I found the most beautiful camp site at La Gringa but as afternoon approached evening, the wind continued (about 30MPH, gust to 40). I left my site for another time, and found Los Vientos (the winds), which is a beautiful "resort" on the beach about 5 miles north of BOLA. Apply named as I can hear the wind as I type. Anyway, the sign said $50 but the receptionist said $80. No problem saying the sign said $50 so here I Am!! I think the wind is building, the room is beginning to shake!!!
Anyway, it was great to meet you, have a great trip, look forward to your reports!!
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 10:34 PM

Yuck, yuck, David.
Scared the crap out of my testicles and other body parts.
'Safely' bedding down this evening in a bizarre place called 'Bahia Tortugas.

:o

Quote:

[Edited on 2013-11-5 by bryanmckenzie]

-Mark Twain
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 10:14 AM

Late start from Tortugas. It's off to Asuncion this morning.

-Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 10:24 AM

Looking for trip details when you sit down for awhile... Was the road paved all the way to Bahia Tortugas? Did you stop at the INM booth to show your tourist card at the Eagle Monument... did they spray you (your car) for 10 or 20 pesos (and a beer)? LOL
You will have a blast at Juan y Shari's...
Hasta Pronto,
David

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:17 PM

I am safely esconsed (?) at Shari & Juans place for the night. Actually two. And fishing on Thursday AM with another nomad. Wednesday will be a down/blog/catchup day, simply enjoying the magnificent view. Today the wind is howling from the Pacific. Almost as bad as at BOLA two nights ago.

Trying to upload pictures on a poor Internet connection right now, as well as edit beforehand. I'll mix those in later as they are available. And videos.

The road to Tortugas is NOT recommended by me at this time. The asphalt section before town is awful, with potholes. There is a 25 Km dirt section with rough washboard where construction is in progress, about 20 Km past the Asuncion turnoff. Up to that point, I was averaging 80-90 mph on a beautiful new super-duper highway.

INM booth at Paralello 28 ... got sprayed by agriculture guy for $20 pesos. Did not stop or need to show anything at the big eagle. I never have in the past either. So traveling wouth the tourist card doesn't appear to be an issue for now. The office in Ensenada was already closed when I went to obtain one.

Military checkpoint at El Tomatal was heavy duty, between 3-5 minutes per car. Thorough. Taking license plate numbers, showing ID, writing down ID numbers, multiple questions and had 3 trucks of soldiers standing by (maybe 30 guys). Everyone was polite & friendly. After the checkpoint, I pulled over a few Km down the road. The military trucks went by. I then got back on the road and as they were doing 70mph, I passed each one with a wave a signal from their left blinker that it was safe to pass.

El Rosario checkpoint was quick & easy, no search.

-Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:22 PM

Thanks Bryan... So, I guess the stop sign between the Eagle Monument and Ag Spray (where INM booth was last year) is gone? Lucky you... since Ensenada was a fail for the tourist card. So, as long as your Mexico trip remains under 72 hours, you are gold! :rolleyes:

Seriously, have a great time... we don't need all this stinking bureaucracy!

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:23 PM

Ditto. The road to Erindira was EXCELLENT. Off course the road to CC is dirt and a bit rough (about 5 KM).

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
Bryan,
Good to meet you and hear about your Baja 2013 adventure.

How was Coyote Cal's? And how was the road out there?

Hope to catch more of your photos soon. Stay safe and have a blast down south. Holler for help on the return north. CHEERS.

-Mark Twain
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:28 PM

Here's a photo of the little bugger. And to think he was along for the ride as I toweled my head off. YIKES.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:

-Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:33 PM

Did you drop him into a bottle of tequila? A little sizzle in your shot!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:42 PM

the internet is slow this afternoon....better in the mornings. It's nice to meet yet another Nomad...we're off for dinner at Keykos with a gaggle of gringos...wonder if Bryan is a kareoke artist?:lol:

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 09:26 PM
Nothing says welcome to Baja...

...like one of these in your hotel bathroom. Yowza!

This is a very helpful travel post. Thank you.

I'll be adding shower sandals to the packing list, along with the towels and black light.

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Here's a photo of the little bugger. And to think he was along for the ride as I toweled my head off. YIKES.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.