Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Boats Seized
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 09:36 AM

I had always heard ( there's no shortage of chismorreo in Mexico) that you can't LEGALLY have your primary residence in Mexico tied up in a Mexican corporation. Can anyone refute or substantiate this with chapter and verse from a Mexican government website?

Just saying your abogado told you it was legal has a little less clout, IMO. :biggrin:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 11:47 AM

to micahs question, a boat over 14' (i believe that is the length) must be TIP'd (temp import permit) if you are a legal resident.

otherwise, you are not supposed to leave anything if you are a tourist=non resident.

anyone know how that goes on leased property for a tourist about leaving a tin boat? i guess it is not keeping with the law?

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 12:19 PM

If they don't like your tin boat, how will they feel about your trailer?

I don't think they are that picky, yet.

[Edited on 11-30-2013 by msteve1014]
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 01:16 PM

Most of the boats in Marina de la Paz are owned by non-residents who spend time in Mexico on a tourist card. That is probably true throughout Mexico. They are, for the most part, legally imported (TIP) or face consequences. Several years ago boats were "seized" in Mazatlan and chained to the dock and warnings went out about getting the TIP. We have been there for 15 years, renewed our TIP after its 10 year expiration. Not a big deal, show ownership, pay $50, get a spiffy certificate and a decal.
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Not a big deal, show ownership, pay $50, get a spiffy certificate and a decal.

My boat was also "seized" in Ensenada. I have a TIP for it but left my old, expired CA registration numbers on the hull. That is what caused some confusion and resulted in my boat being "seized" for 10 days i.e., cannot be moved for 10 days. What is this DECAL that comes with getting a TIP?
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 03:44 PM

In Cabo it was an audit of the Marina by, well, here is the letter sent to all boats:

As you may be aware there was an audit conducted on the marina yesterday by Servicio de Administraciónn Tributaria, (SAT). This was as part of a national incentive and Cabo Marina was one of seven selected. The primary purpose of this visit was to check the status and validity of temporary import licensees. Unfortunately your vessel was recorded as not having “presented” the correct paperwork.
I would reiterate at this moment that we at Marina Cabo San Lucas did everything within our power to minimize the effect on our customers. Both ourselves and a team of lawyers retained by us, worked through the night, boat by boat, to try and resolve this issue and were in most cases successful. Additionally we believe we are unique in being the only marina to have opened up a chain of communication with the authorities that should allow for a speedy lifting of the embargo against your vessel. In order to complete it we will require a copy of your existing (and extant) paperwork, most importantly those papers that relate to either proving your vessel is a Mexican boat or your temporary import permit.
We are offering this service solely to be of assistance and take no liability for its success or otherwise and you remain; of course, free to negotiate directly with the authorities.

Please be aware that it is your responsibility to have the temporary import licenses. If you have a copy we appreciate to please bring by the office to update your files.

Although I had already given them a copy, I took my import permit back in they copied it again and said everything was OK.

If you are not a legal Mexican boat or don't have an import permit your troubles may be just beginning.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 03:56 PM

Reeljob, was there any indication that a current US registration is part of the requirement? Lots of us have gotten the 10 year TIP and allowed our US registration expire.

Sounds like they are wanting a valid TIP only, no?

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 05:10 PM

To answer the question to me/ I'm in Marina Costa Baja= prefer not to identify my boat here as it's a privately owned boat not used for any business purposes, I have the TIP, and the decal is prominently posted on the boat, the marina has a copy, along with my current Coast Guard certification, and current insurance.

[Edited on 12-1-2013 by capitolkat]

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 06:06 PM

Actually, the Marina and the auditors want to see the TIP AND the current registration. My boat is documented and you must renew the document every year and they want a copy of the CURRENT document.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
Not a big deal, show ownership, pay $50, get a spiffy certificate and a decal.

My boat was also "seized" in Ensenada. I have a TIP for it but left my old, expired CA registration numbers on the hull. That is what caused some confusion and resulted in my boat being "seized" for 10 days i.e., cannot be moved for 10 days. What is this DECAL that comes with getting a TIP?

I have the TIP, but not the decal for the boat. Does the decal come with the TIP?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 08:29 PM

Yea, what is this "decal"?
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 09:03 PM

When I got the TIP in the mail there was a decal -like a car registration- about 6x6 inches in color, with the same information on the paper form. put it on the boat when it got here

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 11:11 PM

I just got my TIP last time in La Paz and thyere wasn't any decals.

In Memory of E-57
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:38 AM

alan-- what can I say -- It's Mexico and if we're looking for uniformity we need to look somewhere else. I got mine in August 2012 through the mail to a US address so I could have the boat hauled to La Paz. Needed it for the hauling company at immigration.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
alan-- what can I say -- It's Mexico and if we're looking for uniformity we need to look somewhere else. I got mine in August 2012 through the mail to a US address so I could have the boat hauled to La Paz. Needed it for the hauling company at immigration.
How True! Are you still in La Paz? I'm north for the holidays but headed back down once the YT show.

In Memory of E-57
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 08:39 PM

Yes Alan-- here until March , but stay most of the year with occasional trip up north.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
Yes Alan-- here until March , but stay most of the year with occasional trip up north.
I'll be returning in Feb. We can take my boat out, it's cheaper (one engine).

In Memory of E-57
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 10:28 AM

It's a deal--Norm

sailgal

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:00 PM

Here is a link to Latitude38 story on this. The publisher's catamaran was impounded.
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:22 PM
LATITDE 38=MY BIBLE

Hola,for those that don't know,, your find a lot of Baja/mex in each issue!! .folks from all over the planet send in letters and really good storys...a travel and boaters bible !! If your into maybe helping on this matter: you can go to the above "latitude 38" links above and when your on the story scrow down bellow the story and there are links that make it SO easy to send a fast email to the powers at B to help change situation for the better....Thanks in advance...K&T:cool:
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.