Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: First drive down , Nov.24-Jan.5
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 08:13 PM

Baja is the most fun place. Injoy it while you can.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 01:16 PM

!
"but no one mentioned the total A-hole drivers in La Paz"

I have come to the conclusion that Mexicans are better drivers than US drivers. If you consider the lack of driver education, lack of laws, lack of enforcement and the general road attitude there. Mexicans would do better than US drivers in a free for all, fight to finish, last one still driving wins the competition. In fact that kinka describes driving in Mexico.

[Edited on 1-16-2014 by bajalearner]
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 02:02 PM

Ooooooh , I don't think that makes them better drivers .

You are entitled to your perspective , however . It's kind of interesting .... my Mexican Friends , who have to enter La Paz (or go to school there) absolutely HATE driving in La Paz , so I guess I'm not alone with my views .

Our driving goals anywhere are to get from point A to point B , without getting killed or maimed . I'd guess that , if one enjoys playing Crazy Taxi , or good ol' Pole Position .... La Paz might be amusing .

D.~
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 12:01 AM

It's nice to read that the estero has not been gill netted for the last 5 years. Actually amazing when you consider how little restraint there has been in the past.

I wonder if you would share the fly pattern that you used on the white sea bass.

Oh, and before I forget. Do you think that fishing from the canoe helped you catch more? I just thought that the absence of a motor allowed you to get closer without spooking the fish.
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 10:01 AM

Hi Joe !

Yeah , the locals at the co-op have shown remarkable foresight with the net ban at Coyote . They have also asked that Grouper in the Estero are released alive , though I doubt many will do so ...

Since Estero Coyote and Laguna La Bocana are both nurseries for the young Grouper before they head out into the open Pacific (need to get big enough to NOT be eaten by the really big ones) , it really does make sense that netting would be banned in both . Abreojos is well known for being THE Grouper spot in West Baja , so recruitment of the young is a pretty important thing .

The fly was a standard , #2 Chart/White Clouser Minnow , 2 1/2 inches long . I'll round up a photo of it for you pretty soon . The best fly I used out there were the same Clousers , just bigger (size 1/0) , in Gray/White and Tan/White - those accounted for nearly all of my Grouper/Corvina/Snook/Halibit/etc. .

While we used the Canoe to move around to different spots , we didn't fish from it . Walking the sandbars and looking for the 'right' kind of spots is how we caught the majority of Fish on the second part of the trip (the first part was just fishing the deep , open channels from the Panga) . I believe in stealth , so much so that I wouldn't bother seriously fishing narrow areas (Mangrove channels) with a motor in play . You will probably catch Fish no matter how much noise you make , I just prefer to be as quiet as I can be .

I'll go work on the fly photos -

D.~
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 10:04 AM

Good job David!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 11:49 AM

What a great trip report and yes, we have had meltdowns in La Paz as well 0 not due to the drivers so much but the roads are ONE WAY and do not have signs! Then there are detours every other block. Just not a fun place to drive around at all.

Next time you are at Campo Rene, stop by our place and have a cup of coffee or a beer with us. The new restaurant on the beach is fun too and the margaritas are killer!

here is a link for you to see where we are:

http://www.labocanahotel.com

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for the invite , Blanca !

We WERE meaning to get into La Bocana and see your place , as well as getting farther North and visiting w/ Shari in Asuncion .... we just got tied-up with fishing/BSing at Campo Rene . We will visit you in late July , I promise !

Laguna La Bocana is on the target list for the next trip (as well as Coyote again) , I'm hoping there's a way to launch a Kayak around the Glory Hole area ...

D.~
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
Hi Joe !

Yeah , the locals at the co-op have shown remarkable foresight with the net ban at Coyote . They have also asked that Grouper in the Estero are released alive , though I doubt many will do so ...

Since Estero Coyote and Laguna La Bocana are both nurseries for the young Grouper before they head out into the open Pacific (need to get big enough to NOT be eaten by the really big ones) , it really does make sense that netting would be banned in both . Abreojos is well known for being THE Grouper spot in West Baja , so recruitment of the young is a pretty important thing .

The fly was a standard , #2 Chart/White Clouser Minnow , 2 1/2 inches long . I'll round up a photo of it for you pretty soon . The best fly I used out there were the same Clousers , just bigger (size 1/0) , in Gray/White and Tan/White - those accounted for nearly all of my Grouper/Corvina/Snook/Halibit/etc. .

While we used the Canoe to move around to different spots , we didn't fish from it . Walking the sandbars and looking for the 'right' kind of spots is how we caught the majority of Fish on the second part of the trip (the first part was just fishing the deep , open channels from the Panga) . I believe in stealth , so much so that I wouldn't bother seriously fishing narrow areas (Mangrove channels) with a motor in play . You will probably catch Fish no matter how much noise you make , I just prefer to be as quiet as I can be .

I'll go work on the fly photos -

D.~

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 06:52 PM

Now you know!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL

Laguna La Bocana is on the target list for the next trip (as well as Coyote again) , I'm hoping there's a way to launch a Kayak around the Glory Hole area ...

D.~

There is good launching at 'Glory Hole'.

Watch out for the spring high tides, though. They come up and over the entire mud flat. The Glory Hole is usually fished by camping on the mud flat and fishing the water around it. It must be 100 yds from the bank at the Glory Hole to the dry road that seldom gets inundated.

Once the tide floods the flat it becomes a bog and even a 4wd with mud tires won't get you out.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.