BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What's your border Xing karma?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 11:15 AM

Most of the time, the wait to see the border agent is the worst. They are quick and we never bring much north except fish/ lobster for family and a suitcase with our clothes.

Only once did we get asked for the current car registration and Les asked, Why would you need to see my car documents? The agent snarled: I'm the only one who gets to ask the questions here!

I think both our jaws must have opened in shock simultaneously.

Good idea to say Nothing to Declare, saves the agent asking.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
I get sent to secondary every time I cross back into the US as I have a cabover camper on my PU. But I have found that having stickers on the rear of the camper indicating I am retired military cuts me alot of slack. Most of the Feds at the border are also vets. I usually spend more time telling war stories than being inspected.:biggrin:

You just have an honest face (ugly, but honest) and the border guys feel sorry for you because you are a Marine!!!!

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 11:30 AM

Hmmm.... Are you sure it's the truck?

After 4 trips in my truck this year I have yet to be 2ndaried, and I have a small cabover w/the Callen shell. I was worried it would be an issue w/SENTRI inspection (it wasn't).

Only 1 sticker on my camper (so far), for Mama Espinosas restaurant. But it's on the back door, doubt the agents see it unless they are doing a walk-around.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
I get sent to secondary every time I cross back into the US as I have a cabover camper on my PU. But I have found that having stickers on the rear of the camper indicating I am retired military cuts me alot of slack. Most of the Feds at the border are also vets. I usually spend more time telling war stories than being inspected.:biggrin:

You just have an honest face (ugly, but honest) and the border guys feel sorry for you because you are a Marine!!!!

The real conversation starter are the 2 different stickers. A USMC sticker and a retired US Army sticker.
The Customs guys/gals get confused, and then I have to explain, 12yrs USMC, 16yrs US Army.
The stickers also help at the Mexican military check points in country. Those kids have repect for the US Military.
As for the ugly face, I have no answer for. My Mommy always told me honesty is the best policy.:biggrin:

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 08:47 AM

Bajajorge........the JT is waiting......

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

The real conversation starter are the 2 different stickers. A USMC sticker and a retired US Army sticker.
The Customs guys/gals get confused, and then I have to explain, 12yrs USMC, 16yrs US Army.
The stickers also help at the Mexican military check points in country. Those kids have repect for the US Military.
As for the ugly face, I have no answer for. My Mommy always told me honesty is the best policy.:biggrin:

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It's the nightmare experience that is the anomaly for me. Most are fast and cordial.
I think travelers who pull up to the gate with a mountain of gear and tired attitudes are going to get, and should expect, more in-depth attention. They should be mentally prepared for this. Most often they are their own worst problem.

I have never had a "bad" experience. I've had cranky agents, but nothing beyond that.

Crossing at Sonoyta/Lukeville a few decades ago was probably the most annoying. A bunch of us, like 8 vehicles, were going to Organ Pipe Cactus NM from Palm Springs. Believe it or not it was shorter, and more adventurous, to drive from Palm Springs south, cross at Mexicali, drive across Mex 2 and pop up into AZ.

Well, first person across was asked "where you coming from?" Answer: "Palm Springs." Secondary you go. Same for second car. Same for me #3 in line. By that time the agent was clearly peeed off. Fortunately, she let the rest through after they too gave her the same answer. (ummm, female agent?)

The last two crossings have been amusing. I crossed in my 1969 FJ40 Land Cruiser. Not the guy in the booth, but a second fella came up and offered me $5000 for her. I laughed, and told him I had that in the engine ... and the truck wasn't for sale.

Then last year, same thing crossing in my 4Runner.

The same year I crossed in the FJ40 I was with a buddy. This was his first time to Baja and I think he was very nervous. He was sent to secondary CROSSING INTO MEXICO. Then again, crossing into the US. He also had more trouble at the check points while down there.

One year I was down solo, but met some friends for whale watching. Coming back through Tecate, Mark decided it would be a good idea if I didn't cross by myself, so he jumped in with me, leaving his wife and two girls to cross in their truck. Sure as poop, the girls were sent to secondary ... and the two bearded hippy-looking dudes were waved through. Go figure.

I'm always loaded high and deep with camping gear. I've never been to secondary (since AZ), but I was scolded (umm, by a female agent) for having too many beers in the cooler. She did let me keep them.

Oh, then there was the time I tried to cross with pomegranate cuttings from Mission San Borja. The agent, while searching my cooler found them, and asked what they were. He double checked with somebody (PPQ?) and was told I couldn't keep them. He was nice though, and actually rather apologetic.

Baja is always an adventure ... right up until you pull away from the border station.

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 12:01 PM

When the agent asked where I was going I answered "Secondary" and he said "Damn right you are!". don't know what he wrote on the orange paper he stuck under my windshield wiper but 3 different agents looked at it in Secondary and just walked away. Didn't get out for an hour and a half. Did I do something wrong?:spingrin:

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.