Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: outboard motors?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 07:28 AM

From personal experience and lots of high hours I would always lean towards Yamaha if you want something to last for a long time. Because I hang out with the commercial guys here in this part of the world, that is a topic of great discussion amongst the pangueros and their choice is always the yamaha and has been since the days of the Yamaha Enduros. They will get a Suzuki or Honda because the co-op gets a good buy on them, but they end up in the junk pile much sooner than the Yamahas do. Suzuki's make good anchors if properly tied to the anchor line.

Since Cypress is going to be using it in LA. in the bayou country, the maintenance and service issue is lessened, but still probably does not want to financially support the repair shops either. I would definitely stay away from the new Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury stuff, but that is just personal experience and preference.

Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 12:06 PM

Im a fisheries biologist and have spent half my life working in a boat, the other half fishing out of one. I have to agree with Pescador, Yamaha makes the best motor with Honda close behind. I have heard good things about the Suzukis from people I trust but if I was going to buy a new motor it would be a Yammie.

Just bought a new (to me) motorcycle...a Yamaho TW200. Go figure.

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 12:15 PM

Quote:

Only because BMW doesn't make an outboard.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray

Only because BMW doesn't make an outboard.

A BMW outboard would weigh 9,000 pounds and you would have to refinance your house to afford it!

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 12:53 PM

Look like Yamaha is getting the nod. Good to know. My 30 year old Evinrude has got to be getting near the end of its life. :D
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 01:04 PM

I love those Bavarians, so meticulous........ :rolleyes:
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Look like Yamaha is getting the nod. Good to know. My 30 year old Evinrude has got to be getting near the end of its life. :D

The 175 Yamaha on my Grady is a 1988. It has never been apart and is still running strong. I want a new engine but it just won't die.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 02:20 AM

Thanks for all the input. Yamaha outboards are mighty quite and easy on fuel.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 06:12 AM

Why mess around? Just get one of these:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/seven-marine/boat-engines-out...

"The future ain't what it used to be"
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
A BMW outboard would weigh 9,000 pounds and you would have to refinance your house to afford it!

Actually, the appropriate bike for Baja California weighs about 500lbs and costs less than a Harley. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/03/2014-bmw-f800gs-adventu...

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray

Actually, the appropriate bike for Baja California weighs about 500lbs and costs less than a Harley. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/03/2014-bmw-f800gs-adventu...

If I am a really good boy, Santa might just put one of those under the tree, no cactus.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 07:51 AM

being a fan of the inline 4 since the FJ12 days i'd like to get cappy's take on these lighter more compact yamaha or suzuki IL4's ! :yes:
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:33 PM

I've had great experience with Yamaha. I've had the Enduro 48 (gas hog), F60, F115, and F250. Hard to beat the Yamaha brand! An old guy who had been around the world a few times in his sailboat once told me that parts for Yamaha are the most abundant compared to other brands in most parts of the world. Food for thought...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 04:52 AM

The biggest difference I have experienced is availability of parts. Johnson/Evinrude parts are very easy to find. Nissan/Tohatsu only support their products for 10 years. After that, parts get hard to find. Not sure about other brands.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 08:09 AM
outboards

Hola, as a master Marine mechanic that works 8 days a week 8 months of a year I can say in my work I would never buy,own a Yamaha,mercury Honda four stroke !! too whimpy !! and don't hold up to saltwater well..And no I don't like the four strokes outboards yet !! Too heavy,,costly..lots of hr duty work to be performed and not much torque and WAYYYYY too many parts and money....go ahead and decide what you want...but I sea the inside thruth on this issue daily and Iam not kidding when I say a two stroke outboard is much better buy.....the newr 2 strokes rocknroll and you don't have to have a four stroke anywhere...besides what you have been told (lie) I hear guys are the time say 2 strokes are outlawed.BS>>>BS...you being misinformed about 2 strokes from guys that don't know crap about this !!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 08:23 AM

I've owned Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury & Yamaha's - all 2-strokes & good experiences with them all. I was in the market for a replacement for the very well used 90 Yamaha on my skiff and I went with a new 2-stroke 90 hp Etec - I got an exceptional deal on it and at the time it was the least weight in its size class (the new Yamaha F-90 is the lightest now).

The engine runs flawlessly with no smoke and excellent fuel economy - around 4 to 5 nautical MPG depending on conditions/load. It also has the highest EPA rating with less emissions than a 4-stroke - I have NO IDEA how a 2-stroke can do this. The engine is very quiet - perhaps just slightly a bit louder than a comparable 4-stroke. I've actually attempted to start it when it's already running....I've learned to look at the tach to verify this now.

I really do like the new Yamahas but not the extra maintenance of a 4-stroke.

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by 55steve]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 04:48 PM

If my trusted 2000 Johnson 115 2-stroke (terrible gas mileage) ever gives up the ghost I will most likely replace it with a Yamaha 115 4-stroke. I wish I had more confidence in the etec cuz I would love an etec 90 or 115. I love 2-strokes. The simplicity. But I have a 2001 Evinrude 250 at home, the precursor to the current etec 250 and I've read a ton about the etecs and talked to a lot of people. My experience has been problems with the EMM (the computer that controls the fuel injection and more). They fail, especially if the outboard ever overheats. The old ones failed and destroyed motors (the ficht days) and the new ones fail too. I read about that all the time on Etec boards. I wish it were different. But it still happens. And when it happens you are screwed. The EMM dies, and the outboard usually stops. In its tracks. No bueno in Baja. Other than the problems Yamaha has with corrosion in the 225 exhaust, I have never heard a negative experience with yamaha 4 strokes. And Hondas are just too expensive and too heavy.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 05:20 PM
Etec

My self have not met a etec owner that dosnt love their motor's..And I go outta my way.. when I see one to ask !! The only reason besides picking up kelp or a plastic bag on the lwr gear case over heating is from lack of water pump impeller replacement and also not doing a GOOD job of it also..(always replace the wear plate and gaskets) Thermastats always get stuck in the open position (almost always) the ECM does have a water jacket in them for cooling..I don't know of the ecm on ANY outboard beside a FICHT that are prone to issues....even lil 40 hp have ecms...there are on all FI and many carbed motors. The Only complaint about a ETEC that I ever hear is the price of the oil....K&T gonna make a Wankel outboard myself !!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 06:24 PM
Doug/vamanos

Just spent a hr looking around the net and did not find what you stated about ETEC'S.....you must sell Yammys or mercs to make such a post !!
jakethedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 06:42 PM

Nice to see some typical banter starting agin.

From a 2004 honda 115 owner witout ever a problem, no smoke and great gas usage. By the way, starts first time every time. My 2 cents.

And on a panga center console that is comfortable and bomb proof that I can launch from the sand and run the road on a given whim, launch there as well and not have to worry.

Did I mention the gas mileage I get in my toyota pulling it to Mag bay?

Soooo glad I got rid of the 20' Proline. Nice boat, but not for down here.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.