Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Conquering Baja With BFGoodrich’s Unbelievable New KO2
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:03 PM

FB, FA ??

FB= Four Banger or Flat Boxer ?? FA ?? No clue, sorry

Thanks, from a former Subaru owner (3 of them).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:19 PM

Ken,

no locker needs a couple of tire revolutions to engage. The number of teeth on the dog clutch essembly determines how soon the locker engages. Early style Jeep Rubicon have about 30 teeth on each side - so, 60 in total. 360 degrees (for one full revolution) /60 = 6 degrees. So, it should take the Rubicon locker a maximum of 6 degrees tire rotation to fully engage.

Newer style Jeep Rubicon have about 40 opposing teeth = 9 degrees max for full engagement.

However, for a safe lockup the difference of rotations left and right should be as little as possible. No more than 1000 rpm in 1st gear low range. If more speed is chosen, engagement will take very long and the teeth will be damaged in the process.

[Edited on 11-30-2014 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:47 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines

Thanks, so they are Subaru engine series numbers (letters) and not an abbreviation for two words.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Front Locker - Front/Rear lockers were engaged, 4LO.

Given that, I don't understand why your rear wheels were spinning and front not. :?:

Harald is right, and he takes that heavy Mercedes everywhere. I also have taken my heavy truck everywhere... and it doesn't have a front locker, but the remarkable A-TRAC system that matched tire rotation across the axles.

Ken, we discussed this video before... it is obvious your front locker is not engaged because all four tires would turn (or spin) the same. The transfer case locks the front and back shafts together and the lockers lock the left and right tires together by removing differential action. All 4 tires rotate together, no 'difference' as there is no 'differential' action.

Of course you are concerned not to break anything (I heard the other Jeep owners concern)... But, in low range, properly deflated tires, lockers engaged all allow slow crawling and low stress four wheeling. Didn't matter if your rear diff was hung up, if just one front tire had good contact with the ground, that should have pulled the Jeep up and out of that hole.

How did the other Rubicons get over that rut? Thank you for sharing the video again, none-the-less!
+

Harold and you need to follow me through ruts like those, and we'll see who makes it through. Short wheelbase vehicles have a better chance than longer wheelbase pickup trucks and SUVs with moderate lifts. The other (longer wheelbase) Rubicon took the bypass - as did the similarly equipped TJ Sport, and I drove directly through it. I selected my air locker just before hitting the rut, and could have backed out - but that doesn't make for action-packed video.:!:

When the air lockers are selected, the wheels need to make a couple of complete revolutions before they engage. My friend Victor thought I was in 2WD, and after backing up the first time, and driving back into the rut, he saw that the Jeep was in 4LO, but he still couldn't tell if the lockers were engaged or not.

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Ken,

no locker needs a couple of tire revolutions to engage. The number of teeth on the dog clutch essembly determines how soon the locker engages. Early style Jeep Rubicon have about 30 teeth on each side - so, 60 in total. 360 degrees (for one full revolution) /60 = 6 degrees. So, it should take the Rubicon locker a maximum of 6 degrees tire rotation to fully engage.

Newer style Jeep Rubicon have about 40 opposing teeth = 9 degrees max for full engagement.

However, for a safe lockup the difference of rotations left and right should be as little as possible. No more than 1000 rpm in 1st gear low range. If more speed is chosen, engagement will take very long and the teeth will be damaged in the process.

A 14 year old girl on a mtn bike could kick ass against any you bloviating old guys in 4wds trying to drive across an 18 inch deep ditch like in the video . And she would do it without being a pontificating gas bag.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 08:58 PM

A bicycle is easy. Two tons of steel is hard!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 09:26 PM

I bet $100 you could not make it 1/4 mile up a paved 6% grade on a bike with granny gears without stopping for a rest.
Nothing hard about driving a car with an open beer between your legs and a ham and cheese sandwich in your fist
:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 01:02 AM

You are probably right... not at my age and shape... getting old sucks... and getting fat is hard to reverse!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I bet $100 you could not make it 1/4 mile up a paved 6% grade on a bike with granny gears without stopping for a rest.
Nothing hard about driving a car with an open beer between your legs and a ham and cheese sandwich in your fist

I am pretty old and I love cold wet stuff between my legs while driving (heated seats on, of course) - but I'll take you up on your bet.
Money will go to our Centenario charity, building houses for people who have lost literally everything during Odile. Do we have a bet?

[Edited on 11-30-2014 by BajaNomad]

Harald Pietschmann
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 08:38 AM

I am pretty old and I love cold wet stuff between my legs while driving (heated seats on, of course) - but I'll take you up on your bet.
Money will go to our Centenario charity, building houses for people who have lost literally everything during Odile. Do we have a bet?

I'll bet $100 to your charity that the goat will never put his money where his mouth is.

[Edited on 11-30-2014 by BajaNomad]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:33 AM

No, we don't have a bet. The original comment was rhetorical for DK.

If you want to give money, then do so, and don't look for me to provide your motivation.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:36 AM

Why me, it was Ken Cooke who needed some help? I have never ever needed another vehicle to pull me out of a stuck. Of course I usually travel solo, so I have learned how to four wheel drive. I also pull others out of trouble because that's what good humans do.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:49 PM

Why me, it was Ken Cooke who needed some help? I have never ever needed another vehicle to pull me out of a stuck. Of course I usually travel solo, so I have learned how to four wheel drive. I also pull others out of trouble because that's what good humans do.

If you're not taking difficult lines, you're not really 'wheeling. I could have backed out of the rut, but that wasn't my objective. Testing my vehicles limits with new (at the time) 35" tires was more interesting than taking the bypass.:!:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 10:02 PM

Ken,

no locker needs a couple of tire revolutions to engage.

Harold - Take a look at this thread. I'll be glad to loan you my Rubicon to see how the lockers engage.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/rubicon-lockers-77744.html

Thread post #2:
"Flashing means the command got to the PCM, but the locker has not engaged yet.

Engaged it will be on solid."

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 03:57 PM

Ken,

no locker needs a couple of tire revolutions to engage.

Harold - Take a look at this thread. I'll be glad to loan you my Rubicon to see how the lockers engage.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/rubicon-lockers-77744.html

Thread post #2:
"Flashing means the command got to the PCM, but the locker has not engaged yet.

Engaged it will be on solid."

Just read that thread Ken, and my goodness! There are many threads on Tacoma World with questions about flashing vs. solid light for the locker (or transfer case). Tacomas are the same, going from flashing when button is pushed to solid when engaged. Ours is an electric motor that locks the diff, not air lines. Ours only works in L4 as well, but there are mods to get the locker to work anytime. The 2WD Off Road TRD Prerunners have a locker, too...

So, for you... before you get into a low traction situation, be in 4WD (don't wait until you're stuck)... I pretty much go into 4WD (H4) when I leave the pavement. Toyota recommends using the 4WD monthly anyway to keep the parts 'lubed' and ready. The truck (and any vehicle) drives better in 4WD, too.

Before you get into a severe traction situation, lock your differential (at least the rear, as it has most of the work load, but both wouldn't hurt going over that rut). If your diffs were not locked (light flashing) then don't proceed into the rut until they are on solid.

Unless your friend was itching to use his winch, there was no need... What if you were solo?

For others or newbies to off road driving, here are some steps to not get stuck or to get unstuck (use any or all of these, if you have them):

1) Engage 4WD. High Range if level or dry. Low Range if steep or wet.
2) Engage Locker(s) or Traction Control.
3) Deflate Tires (more).
4) Add rocks to bottom of ditch so there is less chance of bottoming out.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 04:35 PM

Would seem a good idea ... IMHO

Didn't know it worked that way ... The 86 Bronco is an "automatic" ...

But, never went where you guys go ... ;D;D

Agree with "knowing" what your vehicle will do ... under various situations ... just good planning

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 06:43 PM

That's for sure... and if you have options like lockers, A-TRAC, etc., then test it all out in a comfortable setting with others if you need support.

When I got my latest Tacoma, with the new traction systems (that nobody at the dealer could explain correctly), I went off road and did all sorts of testing with it to see how it worked.

Ocotillo Wells/ Anza Borrego Desert, some grove roads near here in San Marcos/Escondido we call the 'Welk Run', and then Bahia Santa Maria where it first drove on a Baja beach. I found that the A-TRAC system was superior to using the rear locker in extreme conditions since it works the front tires as well. Now Ken's Jeep Rubicon has front and rear lockers, which should turn his Jeep into a tractor, and with just one tire touching the ground, should pull his Jeep through... as A-TRAC will on a Tacoma (or FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Tundra, etc. and some Lexus models also have A-TRAC.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 07:33 PM

David I think Ken's PLR run in April would be a good place to show us what your Tacoma with the new traction stuff can do going up Basket Ball Hill. Also we can check out Kens locking system.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 10:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
David I think Ken's PLR run in April would be a good place to show us what your Tacoma with the new traction stuff can do going up Basket Ball Hill. Also we can check out Kens locking system.

Basketball Hill is very easy. I'm in front of Mick's Ford Ranger in this video.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 11:52 PM

The Widowmaker, the other dips, and the 3 ft. deep bog the last mile to Mission Santa Maria is about the best combo traction test one can pit against a vehicle... Cameron Steele was stopped short of the mission in his Raptor, it was too rough... but the stock Tacoma didn't hesitate when it last was in there... nor did most of the other rigs in our group.

If I can get away in April, I would like to go... but I will make Ken get through ruts without a winch, because a Rubicon can!

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.