Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: In Defense of Shockingly Dangerous Desert Racing in Mexico
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 10:44 AM

Since I don't remember the motorcycle racing in Baja having been interrupted by WW I or WWII, which was the case with the actual "birth" of off road motorcycle racing, I'm going to continue in the belief that the ISDT which began in 1913 and has been run continuously since is where 'motorcycle' off road racing was born. It took decades for Americans to get good enough to win any of those races. What is true, David, is that Baja off road racing was born in Baja. But then, we knew that.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I have lived here 14 years and I admit I probably don't Have a Clue as to how bad it really is but as one small example please explain why a bunch of drunks in high powered Pre Runners that aren't involved in the race should be allowed to trespass on private property and run the public roads with complete disregard for public safety. I will admit it can be somewhat amusing to watch some of the locals act out during the frenzy with their hatchet job trucks.
I am not Anti Race. the group needs to police it's self better or the same thing will happen to them that happened in the High Desert.

Interesting fantasy world you live in, J.P. What TMW said.

I can't speak for all teams, but I believe the team I work with is representative of other teams in the sport.

Drinking while prerunning? I don't think so. If your team drives expensive prerunners with a multi-million dollar annual racing budget, you act accordingly.

Disregard to public safety? Our Team Owner has said, repeatedly, that if we see anyone - racers or non-racers, who need help - help them. Medical or mechanical, it doesn't matter.

Hatchet job trucks? Completing the trifecta J.P., you are once again proving that you have no idea what you're talking about. Our Team's Trophy Truck cost almost a half million dollars to build. After every race it gets torn down to the frame, then rebuilt. Does this sound like a hatchet job to you?

Non-sequitur: someone once said that man started racing the day they built the second car.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 12:41 PM
STUCK

Your Reading comprehension must not be all that great. When I referred to Hatchet trucks I wasn't Referring to the actual race team trucks but to the local driving around the streets acting out in their beater truck's.
I know a person that builds Quality Trucks and he is a Class act But don't try to Justify the Jerks that race around DRUNK in some of the Yes Very expensive pre runners acting like the Low Class Knuckle Dragging Fools they are. i
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 01:16 PM

I see...yes while in Mexico, people like to drink in excess. Not a good reason to have a race of any kind.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
I see...yes while in Mexico, people like to drink in excess. Not a good reason to have a race of any kind.

any kind?

how about a drinking game? anyone up for a game of shots and mumbledy peg?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 06:26 PM

Goat stick to Off_topic with your blandering BS we don't need a dumbazz jerk like you around here.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 07:34 PM

TMW, Well put!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 07:40 PM

wow. is this what is meant by "puffing up their chests and fanning their peac-ck feathers"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
wow. is this what is meant by "puffing up their chests and fanning their peac-ck feathers"

Yep. Though their feathers are gray, and a bit thin these days. Sorry looking birds.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 11:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

My dad got Four Wheeler Magazine, and I read them.

This explains a ton bro. Keep talking.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 06:33 PM

Do you have a clue as what Four Wheeler Magazine was about...? Does "tread lightly" ring a bell? Family camping and back country driving, the right way, is always encouraged. Four wheel drive reduces damage. It is 2WD vehicles that spin tires, lacking traction, the digs ruts and tears up roads.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 08:28 PM

Do you have a clue as what Four Wheeler Magazine was about...? Does "tread lightly" ring a bell? Family camping and back country driving, the right way, is always encouraged. Four wheel drive reduces damage. It is 2WD vehicles that spin tires, lacking traction, the digs ruts and tears up roads.

Forty-four thousand three hundred and twenty posts and you just keep getting funnier!

This image from Fourwheeler.com clearly shows how two wheel drive would have not "treaded lightly" and very likely would have been damaging to the environment. Good thing these guys are doing back country driving "the right way" and not ripping the crap out of the creek. Notice how they are not leaving ruts, or tearing up the road. You're a crack up!

129-0807-02-z+land-rover-discovery-argentina+river-crossing.jpg - 96kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 10:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
How dangerous is Football? Baseball? Boxing? Horse back riding? Car racing is the number #1 sport of Baja I doubt it is going anywhere soon.
Those sports aren't dangerous for the spectators like Baja offered racing.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 10:29 PM

Do you have a clue as what Four Wheeler Magazine was about...? Does "tread lightly" ring a bell?

I have not seen trophy trucks treading lightly. Isn't this thread about Baja racing?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 08:45 AM

The insult to me and/or Four Wheeler Magazine was also not about racing. How do you miss that?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
How dangerous is Football? Baseball? Boxing? Horse back riding? Car racing is the number #1 sport of Baja I doubt it is going anywhere soon.
Those sports aren't dangerous for the spectators like Baja offered racing.

Spectators choose to spectate, nobody makes them go out there. They also choose to do stupid things like stand in the path of the racers. They should just stay home.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 09:12 AM

They've just brought the game of Frogger to fruition and they are pros.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
They've just brought the game of Frogger to fruition and they are pros.

That is a mental image that will be hard to squash!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 09:56 AM

You have pro off road here.You have clueless off road.You have CFs here.What is CF its control freak. The CFs can rant,but that's all they can do.Will it stop anyone I know from Off road.Don't think so.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
You have pro off road here.You have clueless off road.You have CFs here.What is CF its control freak. The CFs can rant,but that's all they can do.Will it stop anyone I know from Off road.Don't think so.

Well said.

As a motorcycle enthusiast who has spent much time around off-road racing, trucks and what have you since childhood, I'd have to agree there are a lot of knuckleheads down in Baja pitting and pre-running around race time. Fortunately they seem to be a minority, but I avoid riding down there for that reason. It'd be nice if a happy medium could exist, but many people like to see things suit their agenda.

I like going 'off-road', the environment, animals, helping people, and enjoying myself. Am I a unique snowflake? I'd like to think not in this regard. I read my father's Four Wheeler magazines as a kid too, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make me a knuckle dragger.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.