Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2015 at 05:57 PM
INAH Museo San Ignacio

We called 52 615 154 0222.

There is a very good website here:

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/714

http://sierrasanfrancisco.com/ing/index.php?secc=como

One must ad the country code 52 when calling and you may want some Spanish or use a translator prior to calling to get some idea of what you want to say.

Jesus needed specific dates for our visit in order to reserve tickets to access the cave paintings.

There is also excellent info on Baja Nomad by using the search function for cave paintings.

Aldervale
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 12:03 PM

Our group also used Ramón Arce. He's a terrific guy. In the canyon he would get up in the dark in the morning to round up the mules. I would get up in the dark and start heating water for coffee when he came back. Yes, have sugar.

The hike down and back up is rigorous, and even riding a mule, there are parts steep and rocky enough to require dismounting. There's about a 3000 foot drop in altitude to the canyon bottom. If a tour group is used, the number of others in the group will be small and have similar interest. I wouldn't worry about that. Each participant needs to be self sufficient in food, water, and equipment. I recommend a pair of hiking poles and one of those hand-pumped water filters. There is water in the bottom of the canyon.

I did the trip when LED flashlights were brand new. Ramón took a fancy to the brilliant light of the flashlight in the dark mornings. I held back until we were getting ready to leave. I went to his house and gave it to him. He got the biggest smile on his face. My Spanish is good, so I did a lot of talking with him, especially about his family history. Arce is one of the original Spanish surnames in Baja and the residents in his rancho are considered the original Californios, descendants of the first Spanish to enter Baja.

Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 01:09 PM
when did you visit St Teresa Canyon

We wondered when you visited the San Francisco de la Sierra area and a general idea of the weather and temps you saw?

We have cold and wet weather gear but from years of travel we try to keep it light.....

How cold can it likely get at 5000 feet in mid January?

I am sure this will get a lively discussion but all comments welcome!

Aldervale
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 01:48 PM

I have done the trip three times, at different times of the year - each time with Ramon. It can get darn cold up there, and you should also be prepared for rain - the first time I didn't bring the fly for my tent, so of course it rained the first night. The burros will be carrying your gear, so better to be prepared.
Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 01:52 PM
Good Ole burros

Thanks

Yes it looks like Los Burros really earn their pesos.

We thought we would buy our extra grub at a tienda in Vizcaino in order to get what the guide might like most....

We have heard, machaca, tortillas, coffee and sugar.

?Que Mas?

gracias
Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 01:56 PM

Can anyone recommend any reference materials for las Pinturas Repuestos ? ....we have been looking for any real solid info or research that has been do about these sites and have not found much.

We have visited lots of the southwestern Pc and Petroglyph sites.

Once again

! Gracias !
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Can anyone recommend any reference materials for las Pinturas Repuestos ? ....we have been looking for any real solid info or research that has been do about these sites and have not found much.

We have visited lots of the southwestern Pc and Petroglyph sites.

Once again

! Gracias !

Here are a few I can think of...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Editions of this:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 04:04 PM
Muy Bien David' !perfecto Libros!

Thanks David

Any online sources shout out at ya ?

Aldervale
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 04:13 PM

Just do a search on the Internet.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 05:35 PM

If you have a chance before you head up, stop by Casa Leree in San Ignacio and visit Juanita. She does not rent out rooms anymore (I think?), but she maintains a large library of all things Baja, and she will have plenty of local info for you.
Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2015 at 07:02 PM
Casa Leree

Thanks

We will be in the south for about three weeks.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 10:11 AM

We have a trip reserved and looking forward to it. I've been waiting to go until my kids were old enough to join. So to say I'm excited would be an understatement!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.