Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Favorite Spots to Eat in Ensenada
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 09:26 AM

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli would be a very long walk with lots of traffic on the streets. Plus it's hard to find. The first time I went there I had to stop and ask directions and I was only a few blocks away. I had the address too! It used to be only open on the weekend. I remember taking Naomi Wise, former food critic of the San Diego Reader, to eat there. The restaurant is what is called "modesto" in Spanish. Certainly not upscale. The owner has an herb garden to grow his own "quelites," which are the greens that give Mexican cooking its authentic flavors.

I second the recommendation for Las Cazuelas and never hesitate to eat there. But there are many choices if you just start walking north to the main commercial area. I always ask to see the menu when going to a restaurant for the first time to see if it looks appealing.

[Edited on 3-6-2016 by gsbotanico]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 11:23 AM

I mentioned El Taco de Huitz. not because it could be walked to from the hotel, but that it was a favorite and very unique place. Take a taxi!

David Eidell (DavidE or 'Dah-veed' here) who has been everywhere in Mexico (or close) said it had the best authentic Mexican food in ALL of Mexico. I was with him, elgatoloco, BajaBarb and Fishin' Rich on my first time there (Aug. 2001).

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli, in Ensenada. Open on weekends only. Avenida de las Rosas 242 Tel. (6) 174-23-81. It is located in the far north-east corner of town.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 12:43 PM

How could you pass El Trailero :?: Heaven in a tortilla.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
How could you pass El Trailero :?: Heaven in a tortilla.

thats one heck of a walk from the las palmas.......for a taco! :wow:
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 01:25 PM

Thats why I used the word pass.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Thats why I used the word pass.

gotcha ;)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 02:01 PM

Las Cazuelas is probably your best bet, I usually eat there when I stay at the Palms. If the seafood-only place is open in the same parking lot, it can be good, or so-so. I've had plenty of good meals at the restaurant in the hotel itself, but last time it was not open.
If you need wifi, do not stay on the third floor near the pool - this from a year ago however, so maybe it's better now.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 02:50 PM

Las Cazuelas is good. Always has been and the service is very good but it's always so crowded and the restaurant is so dark. For breakfast and almost directly across the street from Las Palmas is a small restaurant frequented by locals "Kikis". I go there three or four times a month and they are only open for breakfast. Never have been disappointed.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 05:52 PM

Don't know if I would go there for dinner, as they are open until 10pm, but, now relocated Mi Kaza has been amazing for breakfast and lunch. Not much ambiance, but great food.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 07:39 PM

Alto, We just got back from a great trip with Shari! she is great to have
in the boat! We also had some newbies with us and they were overwhelmed! Beth is also helping Shari with tours, she is great also!
Will try to post some pics of the trip. Have a great time! My vote for the dinner, Sanos! Sorry, but it is good! You could leave a little earlier
and make San Quintin, and stay at Jardines!! I heard it is a nice place!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:07 PM

yeah, leave early and have Trailero's for breakfast. they open around 7-7:30am (don't ask how I know that!) and drive straight thru or stay over in SQ/ER and spend some time in the boulder fields before arriving in GN and having the 2nd best tacos in Baja at the place across from the Cowboy motel. can't remember the name for some reason?!?!?!???

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:17 PM

Hi Udo Muelle Tres last time I heard closes at 5 pm so better get there by three.
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
An excellent place for dinner is Muelle Tres, next to the Ensenada fish market by the Malecon.

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:23 PM

across from Las Palmas is the Dragon Chinese place EXCELLENT Chinese food.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Las Cazuelas is good. Always has been and the service is very good but it's always so crowded and the restaurant is so dark. For breakfast and almost directly across the street from Las Palmas is a small restaurant frequented by locals "Kikis". I go there three or four times a month and they are only open for breakfast. Never have been disappointed.

Kiki's is a regular breakfast stop for me, always good.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 12:03 PM

You guys are awesome. Thanks Nomads and friends. Palmas is booked so we're gonna have to find another dog friendly hotel! Gonna review your recommendations tonight. Thanks all. We may end up just going all the way to colonet and staying at Hotel Paraiso.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 12:31 PM

If you end up at Pariso make sure you get the fajitas molcajete. Seriously!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
If you end up at Pariso make sure you get the fajitas molcajete. Seriously!

Didn't know they had a restaurant.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 01:28 PM

Yep right next to the front desk.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 01:41 PM

If only for one night, try the Ensenada Inn, right across from Palmas

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
You guys are awesome. Thanks Nomads and friends. Palmas is booked so we're gonna have to find another dog friendly hotel! Gonna review your recommendations tonight. Thanks all. We may end up just going all the way to colonet and staying at Hotel Paraiso.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 01:44 PM

The food at Mi Kaza is as exciting as their ambiance

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Don't know if I would go there for dinner, as they are open until 10pm, but, now relocated Mi Kaza has been amazing for breakfast and lunch. Not much ambiance, but great food.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.