Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Warning to Baja vets
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 07:37 PM

And I thought you were talking about US veterans living in Baja

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
And I thought you were talking about US veterans living in Baja

As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.
How about anybody anywhere,watch out for snakes.:D
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  

It seems to me that indiscriminate killing of rattlesnakes or any native wildlife is incredibly stupid and senseless. Hopefully more people will comment on this thread.
So another knuckle head,that does not live in Baja.Thinks rattlers are good,We dont kill them unless.There in our way.Let me ask you this. If your Child,God for give.Was about to be bit by a rattler,would you post this.:bounce:
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 08:42 PM

I'm with Buddha on this one, his turf I leave him alone, my turf and he gets the shovel. If I am camping and find one in or near my campsite he is on my turf. When I encounter them when hiking or riding my bike it's his turf. If that isn't fair enough for you too bad, I don't care.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 09:02 PM

Saw two around here in LA last week.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 01:30 AM

They have been rare enough in the hills West of Mulege that I stop the bike and look them over. Beautiful animals. I almost ran over one up near Estanislau a couple of months ago. A big fat female who was NOT amused that I came that close to her with my wheels. After a minute or so in the classic coiled up pose she did something I hadn't seen before. She crawled away into the brush while keeping her head pointed at me. She had my full attention and respect. I had hers.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I'm with Buddha on this one, his turf I leave him alone, my turf and he gets the shovel. If I am camping and find one in or near my campsite he is on my turf. When I encounter them when hiking or riding my bike it's his turf. If that isn't fair enough for you too bad, I don't care.
That is fair enough. When I posted this,I could have left out the part.We had to kill some.I put that part in to hear the bed wetters. My dogs/cats/Kids /live stock come first. When riding by rattle snakes,on our bikes.Off ranchos yes let them be. On my property,they are history. On opening gates,rattlers that wont move history. Bed wetters in SD don't understand this. Too bad ,your get I stick to make them move. Or dog training,in Baja to avoid snakes.Good joke gone bad :bounce:
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Oxnard? Ok...?

Oxnard is better than ok Pluto lose the L..:lol:

If I had livestock in my life, I would see things differently... With that kind of acreage I don't think you can get them all
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 01:35 PM

What would an indigenous Indian from Baja do to one back in that time?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
What would an indigenous Indian from Baja do to one back in that time?

...Put it in a woven basket and hypnotize it with a reed-flute to bilk a few clams from the tourista-Indians on the beach during Semana Santa....

Probably EAT IT would be my guess. Tastes like chicken. :light:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 02:29 PM

I think people should follow their conscience..Because they have such an effect on ranch economics, we kill them when we see them...We don't do "snake hunts". My daughters made pocket money selling the skins, and we ate a lot of them, still do. I have been bitten twice.. They wont often kill you, but WILL cause major tissue loss...Its not a perfect world...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 03:10 PM

..... a buzz-worm bit YOU, Chuck??? Aww, poor lil' fella..... did he get some antivenin? (J. Daniels IV push) ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 03:19 PM

Nah! He got ate, and I got John Jameson..never have had to have antivenin....

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 03:27 PM

It seems to me that indiscriminate killing of rattlesnakes or any native wildlife is incredibly stupid and senseless. Hopefully more people will comment on this thread.
So another knuckle head,that does not live in Baja.Thinks rattlers are good,We dont kill them unless.There in our way.Let me ask you this. If your Child,God for give.Was about to be bit by a rattler,would you post this.:bounce:

So, I have to admit that I got my back up a bit when you posted about running over every snake you see. When I was researching for my trip to Baja I was interested in seeing a rattlesnake so came across a video of a guy chopping the head off a six or seven foot diamondback rattlesnake then proudly showing the severed head to the camera. Not too cool as far as I was concerned. Anyway, you got called stupid and in return I got called a knucklehead, probably not something either one of us needs.

From the few replies it looks like it is best to scare off or kill any rattlers near your home or camp and leave them alone (maybe even drive around them on the road) when in wild areas. And it seems reasonable and necessary to control them on the ranch. I grew up on cattle ranches in SE British Columbia and it was a constant battle to keep the gopher numbers down . Unfortunately their burrows left mounds in the hayfields and damaged the equipment at harvest time. I have shot hundreds or maybe thousands of gophers when I was kid, something I didn't think much about at the time. Many if not most country folk where I grew up also killed badgers, skunks and porcupine on sight. There were plenty of badgers around in the seventies and eighties but now they are critically endangered in BC.

I did a bit of research and found out that between one thousand and eight thousand people are bitten by rattlesnakes each year in the US which is really quite a lot. Between five and fifteen of these people die, which is about one tenth to three tenths of one percent of those bitten. Lightning kills at least three times as many people in the US though.

In BC where I live two or three people are bitten every year by rattlesnakes, which are found in one small area of the province.. They are also much less venomous than the southern US snakes(not sure how venomous the Baja rattler is). Here the rattlers are not endangered but are on the provincial blue list because of habitat loss and many people killing them on site. In the area where there are rattlers there is also the large(diamondback size) non venomous gopher snake. It is basically harmless to people but they are also on the blue list because of habitat loss and people mistaking them for rattlers and killing them.

It was also interesting to find out that most or all of the rattlesnakes in the southern US and Mexico are not threatened even though so many are killed by people.

[Edited on 3-22-2016 by seasider]
This does make some sense,except (with respect) We are in Baja ,Mexico. Not USA/or BC. Just like above post we dont go looking for rattlers to kill.Since Im out 4 days or more a week.Outback my experience is this (By the way in MEXICO) Rattler at gate, throw some small stones to get him.To leave he does not go away.Other very narrow trail,I see rock ledge on side. Throw few rocks there is rattler. He wont move that is the end of them.Remember no help close by for help. Riding around Snake if we can,we do. There is no shortage of snakes this year. I feel bad for the girls horse that passed.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 05:05 PM

I takes a lot of bad luck to die from a rattlesnake bite. Like getting nailed on the face or neck and/or having some cardio vascular problems in advance. Not like some African snakes whose venom stops your heart.

I have had a lot of interactions with these beauties and so far they have been every bit as alarmed about me as I was about them only they made a scarier noise. There is a part of my primordial brain that knows all about that sound. One would have be drunk or stupid (but I repeat myself) to fool with one at close range.

They tend to keep to themselves. They do like roads at night and in the mornings. Once I was driving the fifty or so miles from French Glenn to Fields in Oregon not long after dawn. There was small guy warming up on the edge of the pavement. I took a moment to herd him off into the sage. When I got to Fields to have my ritual milk shake the guy at the store asked me where I had come from. I said, "French". He said, "Did you see that rattler?" A quiet day in S.E. Oregon.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
There is a part of my primordial brain that knows all about that sound.

That is a fact. I was clearing brush when I was a kid years ago in the Sierra foothills northeast of Oroville CA and nearly stepped on a rattler coiled at the base of a young scrub oak. When that rattle went off, I instinctively jumped backwards, off of one foot, and landed on my back about six feet away, did a backwards somersault and ran another six feet, smack into a tree. That embedded fear and a good dose of adrenalin can make you an Olympic athlete, but your aim might not be so hot.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
rocmoc
Nomad

Mood: Live today like it maybe your LAST!

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 06:13 PM

We caught a Diamond Back Rattler last weekend at our home here in Arizona. Guy helping me with some firewood took it further out in the desert. Already have several reported bites here in AZ.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 06:31 PM

I worry about rattlers biting our kids, mutts and livestock......
I worry less when their in our frying pan. :cool:

[Edited on 3-23-2016 by BajaRat]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 06:33 PM

+10

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 06:51 PM

Working in the high desert we have the most venomous rattler in America, AKA Mojave Green. Supposedly aggressive and doesn't always broadcast its location. You know it's there when it bites you! Oh, and the occasional Sidewinder. So far none, hopefully it stays that way for the next 5-6 weeks!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.