BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Heading to 7 Sisters - Any good recent info?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  
When I try to explain why (respectful, reasonable) surfers try to keep from blowing up spots, I always ask - have you ever been fly fishing?

There's a zen and peace that comes with fly fishing which doesn't involve large numbers of people being packed into a small area.

Imagine that you are serenely working a perfect little pond that you stumbled upon by yourself when others arrive up at full speed, snapping selfies and rocking Fall Out Boy.

Your fishing moment is immediately ruined, better pack up your gear and head on home, maybe the next time your fishing hole won't be over-run.

But soon you become aware that these donkeys are posting glowing reviews, pics and maps of this fishing hole to other Fall Out Boy fans.

If you simply commit to heading south in a prepared manner, you show a little respect and don't trash the place, you take turns in the water and smile and be nice, people down there will share info. So you don't need maps and GPS coordinates to get the goods, and you certainly don't need to post stuff on the web to show how hard you scored.

TLBaja79: I don't mean to suggest that you listen to Fall Out Boy.
Ateo: That's very kind & generous of you.

Yep. Also Ateo is doing it right, keeping it personal. DK I hope you never watch a place you love get paved or have a bar go in. It is never the same.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Yep. Also Ateo is doing it right, keeping it personal. DK I hope you never watch a place you love get paved or have a bar go in. It is never the same.

Unlikely....Shell Island just doesn't have the "draw".

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 12:25 PM

like most of the rest of Baja, the people that find their way "out there" a typically good people. like the other parts of Baja, when hordes (more than 10) descend on a patch of dirt egos and bad behavior begin to pop up. one place in particular along the secret coast has turned into what is now called the Surf Ghetto. 50 people a day during the busy weeks is too much! guess what? we don't go there anymore. we leave it to the people who ask for directions to camp spots.

have a good time and leave it better than you found it (unless you're at the Surf Ghetto) for the next travelers.

[Edited on 3-24-2016 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 11-3-2016 by woody with a view]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 12:52 PM

I am anti-paving as much as you MMc, how is this hard to understand? My point is that good roads are your (and my) enemy to maintaining isolation. Photos and maps are nothing to fear. If that was, Shell Island would be packed, lol!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 05:16 PM

[rquote=1.[/rquote]

Zen and peace of wilderness. That's why I hate motor bikes, quads, snow machines and the other loud obnoxious motorized vehicles of fat flock heads that should stay home or lose 100 lbs and buy a mountain bike (as in bicycle).[/rquote]

Goat,
Couldn't agree more about noise, my motos are quiet and I'm not one of the bicycle haters. I admire anyone who takes a mountain bike into the back country. But lets say you want to take the back roads a bit away from civilization like in the middle of the peninsula. How do you get your bicycle there? Ride it from San Diego? If you're using any vehicle with an internal combustion engine to get to where you're riding then you are using more resources than I do when I ride my very fuel efficient moto the 1000 miles from home to Mulege. I don't know if I qualify as a "Fat flock head" or not since I have only lost 80 lbs not 100.

A few years back one of my favorite writers, Al Martinez of the LA Time, wrote a column where he pointed out that "self-righteousness is always misplaced." An attitude that I think should be taken to heart.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 05:20 PM

How have you been Kurt?
Look at how time flies... almost 6 years now since our epic journey to Mission Santa Marķa! Hope you are still drinking OJ every day! :light::biggrin::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
How have you been Kurt?
Look at how time flies... almost 6 years now since our epic journey to Mission Santa Marķa! Hope you are still drinking OJ every day! :light::biggrin::cool:

Life is good, I'm a couple of years into my 70's and still doing pretty well. Since my partner Kathy retired last year we are doing a lot of camping and after my next Baja trip in 2-3 weeks we will be getting ready to head for Southern Utah and 4 Corners region again for about a month. Trying to keep doing all this stuff while I still can!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.