Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: SPOT messenger alternative
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 11:02 AM

Wow, I agree with Mr. Goat again!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 11:02 AM

I have a Spot and the Spot satellite phone. I like the spot messenger and it does what I want it to. That is to inform those I send a signal to to know where I'm at. I've never used the help or SOS.

The satellite phone is a different story. It is a very spotty device (no pun intended). I've been in very open areas and had trouble getting a signal to call out. Turn and walk 3 feet it's OK, walk another foot and it out again. Probably the best it worked was when I called David K from Visita San Isidoro, it worked perfect. At Campo Rene near Punta Abreojos in a wide open dirt area, far from trees or buildings not so good. I assume it's the satellite it uses. I've used Iridium sat phones and never had a problem like this. Nomad John M put me on to a good deal that I'm seriously thinking or switching to in Jan. when my spot phone contract is up for renewal.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Haha. Competition is good. Keeps the price of both down.

It should keep it down, but does it? Spot must be losing market share to Delorme, but they have raised prices, while not improving service.

My main objection to Spot is that it requires an annual contract for a service that I don't use much of the year. Paying more for shorter blocks of service makes since to me, especially when it provides more options.

I really need to get one of the two services though, I sometimes travel alone in some pretty remote areas. Spot would be great if I could buy service as needed.

[Edited on 8-7-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 02:40 PM

FYI the delorme now has weather forecast.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 04:22 PM

I agree with goat about getting unplugged. That's why I don't want or need to get or send messages. If I croak, I croak.

I do, however, like to come back and look at the track where I've been riding and I don't like to stress out Barbara about what the hell I'm up to now!

Her version is that she dosn't want any stupid delays in getting the payout from the life insurance. Buzzards circling isn't good enough for them to process a claim.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 04:51 PM

Seasider,
The Delorme can be turned on and off monthly. I only have mine active while traveling south in the spring.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  
E-hall and jbcoug, thanks for the info.
I realize the Delorme is an excellent product. The two main reasons that I bought the sat phone are:
1. It was inexpensive, an impulse purchase and was something I thought would work. I have posted on another board for more opinions and info.
2. I wanted to be able to get more than one forecast as the reliability and detail of forecasts for the Sea of Cortez are a bit lacking compared to what we have in Canada or the U.S.
I would normally just buy the Delorme but it only has one forecast(although I could receive others from voice mail- hmmm....) and although it might seem like I'm an electronics collector, quite the opposite would be the fact. A bit of background:
I was planning a trip to the central Baja area in October with the intent to paddle my kayak across the sea via the mid-riff islands. Now I'm considering doing it in January or February 2017, because it feels better heading south after putting up with the cooler temps and rain here for a few months. So reliable weather forecasts are a must for me or this kind of trip!
Most likely I will buy the Delorme(or maybe rent?) but I will see what the sailors have to say about it.

Sounds like an ambitious trip. I see the need for the weather forecast now. From everything I have read the mid riff area winds can come out of nowhere and make for some rough seas. Good luck and have fun.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 07:03 PM

Have you used the voicemail and how has it worked for you?

No I have not at least not yet. The sat phone stays in the case until I need to use it. I usually call home every evening or morning by cell or the sat phone to make sure all is OK. My wife has some medical issues I need to be aware of when out of town. I usually use my cell phone since most towns have cell service but if I'm in the boondocks for a day or more I use the sat phone.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Have you used the voicemail and how has it worked for you?

No I have not at least not yet. The sat phone stays in the case until I need to use it. I usually call home every evening or morning by cell or the sat phone to make sure all is OK. My wife has some medical issues I need to be aware of when out of town. I usually use my cell phone since most towns have cell service but if I'm in the boondocks for a day or more I use the sat phone.

On the flip side, TW left a voice message on my phone when he called me from San Isidoro, which I got just fine when I turned on my phone not long after he called.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rocmoc
Nomad

Mood: Live today like it maybe your LAST!

[*] posted on 8-8-2016 at 07:14 AM

Which InReach plan and equipment do current users recommend?

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-15-2016 at 06:22 AM
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 08:20 PM

First, I love my inReach and can't say enough good things about it. I tend to venture solo and it's great to send daily "I'm OK" texts to those that give a schit.

Yes, it costs more going in, but having the ability to turn off the service when I don't need it has easily almost paid any difference between the SPOT plans. I only turn it on two months a year. I think I've had mine three years now. I don't know how the SPOT works, but I like having the ability to send text, and the fact that it links in the field to my tablet. The tablet gives me a real keyboard, and the unit displays my location on maps.

I use the Freedom Recreation plan at $35/mo, plus $25 annually. So my annual bill is less than $100. It includes 40 free-hand text messages, which I have never come close to using. Unlimited tracking. Unlimited "preset messages" which are my daily "I'm OK" messages.

The inReach might not work for everybody, and SPOTs $150/yr might be a better deal to some. For me, the inReach is just the ticket to keep me exploring Baja on my terms. Oh, and the Delorme/Garmin customer service is great.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 07:16 AM

well said Pappy. I use the same plan.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 02:04 PM

in the interest of fair reporting, SPOT did return my complaint email with a live customer service rep...i expressed my disappointment, he apologized for the sales staff's attitude and offered me a free 3 months if I chose to go back. I researched the Delorme and may still go that route OR I might go back to the SPOT...with the new SPOT connect is does offer a 2 way text via your smartphone....and the rescue insurance fund of $100K....hmmm
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.